meeting the caloric goals set by mfp

Options
I have read many posts about both men and women whom have trouble eating the number of calories set forth by mfp for them, and it should not be a shocker that many of us do not eat enough to optimize fat burning. We all understand to shed fat we need to eat better, make better choices, and workout, that is no great mystery. So I wanted to share how I do this, mind you I do not have any problems eating cals lol, I came from a background of eating very large portions which put my in an overweight body and I have managed to get it well under control and am steadily losing. At this point I have surpassed my original goal and am going to see just how far I can push it with my main goal now to be a 6 pack abs.

I have to say that at first it is going to require some discipline to get to that goal for some, not listening to the body has gotten you to your current state and getting to a better one at first will require you to not listen yet again as your body has adapted to what you are doing to it. That may mean being hungry, or eating more than what you currently are, that will depend on what you have been doing. So Here is the plan:

1) Plan ahead!!!! On workout days spread the calories out into the 5 or 6 meals that you eat a day, so that post workout there is not a huge number to eat back. Yep I advocate eating back the cals, why you may ask? Well simple recovery, to build some muscle and shed fat effectively the body needs to be able to recover, and on a low caloric intake that is hard, eating back those cals from workouts help with it. You are not going to be at your best unless you are feeding for success.

2) Take 1 day a week 5 or 6 hours and make a weeks worth of meals or at least some of them, prep meats, veggies, etc. I love my slow cooker and I make regular meals like soups, stews, chili, etc and the bag them in ziplocs and freeze them for the week. It makes them convenient, cheap and ready to go just like microwave meals, plus I know they are healthy and exactly what is going into my body.

3) Protein, I can not stress this enough mfp numbers are low, way low for those whom do a lot of cardio and weight train, make sure you are getting enough in as it helps greatly with muscle recovery, metabolic rate and muscle retention/building. Women do not bulk up, it takes very very close attention to diet to bulk up like a man, you simply do not have the testosterone to build bulk muscle so lifting heavy is not a problem for you. Guys you are not going to look like a body builder by lifting heavy if you are on a caloric deficit, you will gain some muscle yes but not a lot, the numbers are not there for that to happen. The body needs extra calories to make muscle effectively.

4) Fad diets, they do not work end of story, there is no magic fat loss pill, but there are fat loss equations that work for you so listen to your body if you feel like crap there is a reason, find it. High protein diets (more than 1 g/lb of body weight) does not work for everyone, nor does low fat, or high carb. We all have different metabolic types, and that will attribute to your success, find out what that is. (link for metabolic type: http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages.com/metabolic/self_test.html)

Replies

• maryritt529
    Options
    Good post yet again!
  • stred321
    stred321 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thankyou!!!
  • LittleBuddy13
    LittleBuddy13 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well said, You always have the right things to say :happy:
  • Jerseygirl02
    Options
    Great post, thanks!
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Spot on as always, my friend.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    here here, well said!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Great post, and thank you for making me feel better about the fact the I am ALWAYS over in protien. Today for example, I am literally 2 times the amount set on MFP.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post:)
  • Stasher
    Stasher Posts: 2
    Options
    So running a 400 calorie deficit yesterday because I wasn't hungry was a bad thing? I ate very solid meals and just felt full. Maybe should have had a quick protein shake I guess.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Good post.

Any suggestions on protein intake % for 500-kcal-per-day-deficit-for-weight-loss-while-doing-weights-2-or-3-times-a-week-to-build-muscle? (or at least maintain muscle, but I'm pretty sure I'm building it)
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Great post! This can't be said too many times!!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    For muscle building I recommend 1 gram for every pound of bodyweight, so for me that is 170 grams at this time, mind you protein uptake will vary among many, so the added protein will always help.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    well said, thanks!
  • gottabekd
    gottabekd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by metabolic typing, but from what I've read, it seems the medical community is highly skeptical of its efficacy. What convinced you to use it?
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion on protein.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by metabolic typing, but from what I've read, it seems the medical community is highly skeptical of its efficacy. What convinced you to use it?
    Simple I ate what the docs told me to for shedding fat back a few years ago, instead I felt like crap, lost some muscle and did not stick with it after 4 months, my weight went down but bodyfat went up. So I scraped their plan and started back on what made me feel good. I have since gained muscle back, shed bodyfat and felt better than ever. I talked to my dietitian friend and she said its simple really depending on your cultural background some ppl react differently to some foods. For me my body reacts best on a higher protein diet for how I feel which is in line with my cultural background. Some do better on more carbs, but I for one do not. This is what made me a believer.

The medical community is decades behind in terms of what is healthy for you and what is not as none of them want to think outside the box for fear of being ostracized by the medical society. For years they told us that eggs were bad for you, and now they are good. For years they pushed a low fat diet and we got fatter on that. So I say yes the medical community has its place but not in my business as I know what my body feels best on.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Great post!
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    Awesome post.......did you ever think about being a trainer?
  • whit325
    whit325 Posts: 1
    Options
    Very helpful. Thanks!