Tell me I made the right decision.....

Options
I joined a gym today. I'm really unsure about this for a couple of reasons. One being that we have a small gym at work with all the cardio machines that I can use for free any time I want - I work out there at least 5 days a week usually. The gym I joined doesn't really offer me anything there that I don't already have access to.

I really joined for the classes but the only gym that is close enough proximity to us that I'll really be able to go doesn't have a huge selection of classes. I was really hoping for more options here.

The clincher for me joining is that my teens are only $5 per month now and they are both into working out - they can't use the the gym at work. They can also work out for free all summer.

I just don't know if I'll get enough out of the membership to justify the cost. I'm so on the fence about this decision.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Well, do you think the teens will actually use it, epecially in the summer? I don't see many teens in gyms....

You generally have three days to rescind a contract. It will say so in writing on the contract. So you can always take it back.

I've found if I am having second thoughts about something, I should probably not do it.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Do you realistically think you'll go to the classes, and your teens will go with you? If so it'd be great to motivate each other and learn some things. Otherwise... Maybe not the best idea.
  • ErinLauren
    ErinLauren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Make it worth the money. The more you go the less it is per visit! What a great roll model to take your kids to the gym! Those are life lessons learned in the gym on the road to getting healthy. Dont doubt it for another second... embrace it. Soon you will get excited to go there!
  • lphoenix129
    Options
    Only time will tell if you made the right decision. Last year when I first got my gym membership, I joined for the classes. My apartment complex offers a small fitness center but I never cared to go. I went to the gym consistently for the first few months, and then only every so often. When my 1 year commitment was up, I cancelled. It was a waist of time and money. I love being in class with other people, but it wasn't worth the money I was spending.

For our anniversary in December, my boyfriend bought me a Wii. Then my sister bought me the Zumba game for Christmas and the Wii Fit Plus for my birthday in January. I love both!. The main classes I went to are Zumba, and I get the same intensity out of the game. I worjout in the fitness center a few times a week for strength training. I pretty much have everything I need at home. Every now and then I go to a Zumba class or a Zumbathon just to get out the house and workout with friends.
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think if your kids will use it, it was a great decision! Maybe you guys could go together! That would be a fun family activity :)
  • missrugby
    missrugby Posts: 31
    Options
    The good news is if it doesn't work out for you then you can cancel your membership. Definitely give it a try and see how you like it. If not, there are a ton of other options out there. Good luck!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Buy it even if it is just for the kids. There are parents out there who would give up a small fortune to get their kids going to the gym. Money well spent even if you never use it; but hope you do find one class you like just to change up your routine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Set a number of months as a trial. If you and the teens use it, say 3 times a week each, then reassess whether that's worth it.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I think if your kids will use it, it was a great decision! Maybe you guys could go together! That would be a fun family activity :)
    I think that's a great idea.
    You could also set up some kind of weekly or monthly reward system.
    Most % lost?
    Most % increased in weights/reps?
    Increase in time etc.
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    Answer to a few questions:

We're on a month to month - no contract so I can cancel if I find we're not using it.

Both of my kids will use it as often as I'm willing to take them. With our schedule right now that won't be more than 3 times a week because this gym is about 30 minutes from our house (we live in the boonies). Ds is into weight lifing and dd is willing to do the cardio machines but she won't take a class with me (I might embarrass her!). Dd has already lost 15 pounds mostly doing walking and yoga - she's very encouraged to keep active now.

All four of us have three free meetings with personal trainers as part of this so at the minimum we'll take advantage of that!

I know my dh won't go, that's just a fact. :cry: