Is Sugar Toxic

Options
Warning this is a long article but very interesting. It isn't a weight loss story it is a health story. The question is does sugar only make you fat or does it also make you sick. After reading this I don't care about my starches: it is all about the sugar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I just read that article today and now I"m curious what my sugar intake should be. I eat protein bars that have some sugar, but most of mine is coming in the form of yogurt, fruits, veggies, and peanut butter (all natural, no unpronouncable ingredients).
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It can make you sick.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last September. I have gotten rid of the pain by eating healthy and exercising. I was a sugar addict and I wouldn't be surprised if it had become toxic inside me.

If I overload on sugar - and I have (try an entire big bag of sweet & sour Gummysavers in one sitting) the pain will come back and I will hurt for a couple of days.

It can also cause Chronic Fatigue and Candida Overgrowth in the body.

I'm sure there were a lot of other factors that caused my FM. But sugar is the one thing that will bring the pain back (I don't take pills for it - I chose to go healthy instead). It is only added sugars that do this.

And think about it. the carb numbers you see also contain the sugar numbers. If you have over 100g of sugar (whether from natural or added) then 100g of those carbs came from sugar. I believe in limiting sugar, both added and natural. I think the majority of carbs should come from veggies.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this article. I was recently trying to find out how many grams of sugar was reasonable, and if going over on sugars from fruit was fine and this is the page that I found.

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/10-reasons-why-fructose-is-bad/

I don't follow the paleo lifestyle, but this did settle the debate over sugars from fruit for me. I was diagnosed with MS two years ago and have found since limiting my sugar intake I limit the symptoms from the MS. Again, thanks for sharing.
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The body needs sugar to function properly, it's when people consume more sugar than their body needs that it becomes unhealthy.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    The body needs sugar to function properly, it's when people consume more sugar than their body needs that it becomes unhealthy.

Your body needs Glucose not Fructose. Sugar is half and half.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Thank you for this article. I was recently trying to find out how many grams of sugar was reasonable, and if going over on sugars from fruit was fine and this is the page that I found.

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/10-reasons-why-fructose-is-bad/

I don't follow the paleo lifestyle, but this did settle the debate over sugars from fruit for me. I was diagnosed with MS two years ago and have found since limiting my sugar intake I limit the symptoms from the MS. Again, thanks for sharing.

GREAT page. Thanks. I may have to put this link in my signature. So many people post about sugar on this site and about ignoring sugar from fruit. If you are over you are over, it doesn't matter where it comes from. Love this page.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Note that the High Fructose Corn Syrup (processed and refined from corn, and generally regarded as evil by a multitude of sources) is different from the unrefined fructose found in fruits. I am not sure about this, but I am pretty certain that several countries do not even allow hfcs in sodas like coca cola. Someone chime in on this; I'm just going from memory here...