This sugar thing is getting me mad!

Options
Okay, so I've been complaining about sugar lately basically due to the milk I've been drinking (Almond milk). Which I stopped drinking. Today, I had baby carrots, maybe 6, they had 9 grams of sugar?!! I'm so mad....I wouldnt think carrots would have sugar, wht should I do?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Eat the carrots and never mind how much sugar is in them. Carrots are good for you.
  • lilchubbybunny
    Options
    what i do to controll all my levels is to put in what i think i am going to eat for the day and that way you get your totals and only eat what you have on that list or that you know you have room for
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do the unsweetened almond milk. I don't worry about sugars that occur naturally in food. I worry about the ones that are added to make things taste better.
  • ireneh124
    ireneh124 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, corn, peas, carrots, tomatoes all have sugar, but remember it is not "added" sugar, so it's not what I call real sugar. Just limit how much and how often you eat them. Don't look at those as "fillers", but check out other veggies such as celery, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Hope this helps
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    You need the nutrients in vegetables and small amounts of fruit.

Just worry about the added sugars, not natural sugar from vegetables and dairy. Keep your fruit portions to two a day and don't eat dried fruits.

You can buy the unsweetened almond milk.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It is okay to have foods that contain natural sugars (fruits, sweet veggies), as it is important to get the right number of fruit and veggie servings. Fruits and vegetables are important sources of vitamins too, and you can always try to choose options that are lower in sugar. Example...choose broccoli over peas or corn. Be focused on what foods provide you with the nutrients (vitamins and minerals) that you need.

If you are trying to decrease the amount of sugar in your diet, the sugar that you want to try to avoid is added sugar (sodas, sweets, etc.).
  • mikewhitesell
    Options
    I was getting pretty tied up on the sugar thing as well, so I did some research on it. My current goals call for 37g of sugar max, but every day I was way over that. The majority of my sugar intake was coming from zone perfect bars and granola bars, so I cut those out and replaced them with lower sugar items, but my sugar as calculated by myfitnesspal continued to be too high compared to the RDA because I was eating healthy things like fruits and milk which have natural sugars in them....

So I got fed up and did some research. What I found was that the RDA is for added sugars, not natural sugars (such as fructose and lactose). But current nutrition labels do not distinguish between natural sugar and added sugar. For example, typical vanilla yogurt has something like 35g of sugar per cup on the nutrition label. Something like 19g is from lactose, which is mostly good for you (if your not allergic) and the remaining 16g is from sugar, corn syrup or some other added sugar.

Since the nutrition labels do not make a distinction, there is no way for for myfitnesspal to make a distinction. So for now, I mentally subtract my fruits and milk from the sugar total to make sure I am keeping my sugar intake where it needs to be.

Hope this helps.....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/351487-what-is-the-rda-for-sugar/
  • natsab76
    natsab76 Posts: 12
    Options
    I was getting pretty tied up on the sugar thing as well, so I did some research on it. My current goals call for 37g of sugar max, but every day I was way over that. The majority of my sugar intake was coming from zone perfect bars and granola bars, so I cut those out and replaced them with lower sugar items, but my sugar as calculated by myfitnesspal continued to be too high compared to the RDA because I was eating healthy things like fruits and milk which have natural sugars in them....

So I got fed up and did some research. What I found was that the RDA is for added sugars, not natural sugars (such as fructose and lactose). But current nutrition labels do not distinguish between natural sugar and added sugar. For example, typical vanilla yogurt has something like 35g of sugar per cup on the nutrition label. Something like 19g is from lactose, which is mostly good for you (if your not allergic) and the remaining 16g is from sugar, corn syrup or some other added sugar.

Since the nutrition labels do not make a distinction, there is no way for for myfitnesspal to make a distinction. So for now, I mentally subtract my fruits and milk from the sugar total to make sure I am keeping my sugar intake where it needs to be.

Hope this helps.....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/351487-what-is-the-rda-for-sugar/

Thanks for this article!! It's been bugging me too!