Help! How many calories is sushi?

Options
Before I went out for sushi I did a quick search on MFP and the first few that came up (the ones I looked at) gave really low calorie amounts. It said 80 calories for shrimp tempura roll and 130 for California roll. I was so happy, went out and ordered the shrimp tempura and california roll ( and YES I ate both rolls without a problem). When I came to log them in I realized there where also some listed for as high as 500 calories....ahhhhhhh!! WHAT? Now I don't know which one to go with. The restaurant (Osaka) is not listed. Anyone know what I should do?

Replies

• Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    sushi rolls? or sashimi? Depends..if it has avocados, fake crab meat, sauces, fried, etc, it's not so good. Pretty much the Americanized sushi IS heavy on calories but true and straight forward sashimi and sushi are still good clean food.
  • daddyzgurl
    Options
    It is about 80 cal for each roll of Shrimp Tempera (there are usually 6-8 rolls per order). That would make the entrie roll about 480-640 cal.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    There are some helpful nutritional guides on sushifaq.com. You could try looking there.
  • VTGrumpy
    VTGrumpy Posts: 7
    Options
    When I run into that problem, I look at the range and either A) take what seems typical, or B) Guess-timate where along the spectrum the food I ate falls and enter that. Sometimes you're not going to be exact - what counts is that you honestly try to enter it.

I'm assuming that you looked on the web for their nutritional information? Sometimes my wife calls places and gets what she's looking for.

Hope this helps!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    There are some helpful nutritional guides on sushifaq.com. You could try looking there.

Oooh, nice tip, thanks!
  • hiba_b
    hiba_b Posts: 20
    Options
    sushi rolls? or sashimi? Depends..if it has avocados, fake crab meat, sauces, fried, etc, it's not so good. Pretty much the Americanized sushi IS heavy on calories but true and straight forward sashimi and sushi are still good clean food.

This is from the restaurant Osaka, so I think it's not so Americanized. It did have avocado, but I don't think that much of it.
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    I've tried to "guestimate" by breaking down the content of the roll ie. there is approx 1/2 cup of rice in most rolls and then go from there...1oz guacamole, cream cheese, shrimp etc. Hope that helps :)
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    Options
    Anything fried is going to be high calorie. I wouldn't skip the avocado ones, because it is a good fat. It's the rice (carbs) that can derail you. "The Doctor's Pocket calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate counter" lists 1 TBL. Sushi rice as 25 cal, 0 fat, 6 carbs.
    Hope that helps
  • hiba_b
    hiba_b Posts: 20
    Options

Thanks, I'm gonna try that