What is the right way?

Options
Im farely new to dieting and would like to know the right way to go about eating.I know not to starve myself but how much is too much,and how little is too little.To u MFP veterans i could really use ur help!!!!

Replies

• PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Im farely new to dieting and would like to know the right way to go about eating.I know not to starve myself but how much is too much,and how little is too little.To u MFP veterans i could really use ur help!!!!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Go to MFP home page & click on your goals. You can set your goals from there & it'll give you how many calories you should have each day. That's a good starting point. Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

Welcome! There are many successful weight loss folks here. You found the right place. Here is some reading material (this thread is found at the top of "General" in the Community tab.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    Try not to think of this as a diet ... because you will fail. It needs to be a life style change. We are glad your here.

I eat every three hours.

A helthy meal is typically
    the size of your palm of protein
    two hand fulls of veggies (or fruits)
    one serving of a carb (like a slice of bread or 1/2 cup rice)
    and a little bit of fat like 1/3 of an avocado or some nuts.

For snacks I usually take on of my servings if veggies and eat it beween my meals so that I'm not starving and over eat.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of this as a diet ... because you will fail. It needs to be a life style change. We are glad your here.

Same here!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Indeed this is a life style change and a "new" way of thinking about foods. Cause and effect. You will have to let go of many bad habits, one by one and try and focus on a healthier "you". Portion size is also a new "phenomenon".

Don't think any question is stupid here. Everyone is great at helping. Just ask.

G'luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Go to MFP home page & click on your goals. You can set your goals from there & it'll give you how many calories you should have each day. That's a good starting point. Good luck!

dito
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Options

dito
    Ditto ditto! :bigsmile:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You will probably get a gazillion answers on the right way to eat including everything from vegan, high protein, all organic, nothing but whole foods and so forth. The internet is full of advice and I don't think any of it is all right or all wrong. This is what I've found to be effective:

1. Eat 5-6 times a day approximately 3 hours apart. Usually Breakfast, Lunch, dinner and two to three small snacks.
    2. NEVER EVER SKIP BREAKFAST
    3. Every meal and snack should combine a lean protien and a carbohydrate (preferably a complex carb).
    4. Have at least 8 oz of water with every meal.
    5. Cut back on empty calories like sugar and substitute whole grains for white flour.
    6. Do not "diet". No food is forbidden just learn to balance your calories and to control your portions.
    7. Reduce saturated fats and substitute essential fats. If you cut out fats entirely or too drastically you'll also cut your energy levels.

That's about it.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    You will probably get a gazillion answers on the right way to eat including everything from vegan, high protein, all organic, nothing but whole foods and so forth. The internet is full of advice and I don't think any of it is all right or all wrong. This is what I've found to be effective:

1. Eat 5-6 times a day approximately 3 hours apart. Usually Breakfast, Lunch, dinner and two to three small snacks.
    2. NEVER EVER SKIP BREAKFAST
    3. Every meal and snack should combine a lean protien and a carbohydrate (preferably a complex carb).
    4. Have at least 8 oz of water with every meal.
    5. Cut back on empty calories like sugar and substitute whole grains for white flour.
    6. Do not "diet". No food is forbidden just learn to balance your calories and to control your portions.
    7. Reduce saturated fats and substitute essential fats. If you cut out fats entirely or too drastically you'll also cut your energy levels.

I think this is ultimateyl the best advice...I'd like to add exercise also.

That's about it.