Need a lunch time hobby

Options
I need something to do at lunch. I don't want to work out. I don't want to be all sweaty the rest of the day while sitting at my desk. The only thing that I have been able to think of doing this week was shopping. I have bought 6 pairs of shoes this week! (and it is only Wednesday!!)

Anyone have any non sweaty, non spendy things to do at lunch?

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Can you go for a relaxing walk.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Walking would work. Probably won't get sweaty just walking.
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I work through my lunch so that I can hit the gym in the morning before work...but if I had that hour I would do some meal planning, couponing, reading, and crafting.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Read a book. I like to crochett.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do a LOT of reading on my lunch hour. Take the car to a different parking lot just to get away and get a mental break, and spend some time reading your favorite thing (magazine, book, whatever). And now that the weather is getting warmer, it's a wonderful way to get some fresh air (with the windows rolled down!).
  • MMieure
    MMieure Posts: 48
    Options
    Books are a good idea.

I live in San Antonio so any kind of walking even if it is only 1 mph results in a sweaty mess. It is 90 degrees with high humidity outside. I get sweaty just walking out to my car! :o)
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    What about walking around the mall?
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love to crochet so I take small projects and do them in my car at lunch. This helps in two areas. 1. I'm not eating and eating and eating. 2. I'm not smoking like a fiend. I'm trying to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time. Not a good combo! There are many easy self teach books on how to crochet if you don't know how.
  • mec011
    mec011 Posts: 1
    Options
    Depends on what you want to accomplish with your free time at lunch.

If you want to be productive but zone out, I've been told by many people that knitting is the way to go. Once you've learned the basics, it's just following a series of numbers and steps. I've heard that software programers and engineering types really enjoy it because there is no real logic to doing it, it's painting by numbers, so if you're in a job where your brain is always on, this might be the way to go.

On the other hand, if you're goal is to get your brain going, try reading a book outside of your interests or job field. Just try to find something that isn't the same as what you do all day at work. If you're an artsy person, read something technical. If you're a technical person, read something creative. Go to a craft store and buy a small watercolor kit (probably less than 1 or 2 shoes) and paint for an hour a day. Go to Radio Shack and buy an electronic circuitry kits, but tell your coworkers what's up so they don't think you're making a bomb at your desk! Buy a Lego robot kit and learn to program it, or just buy regular Legos and build whatever. Go to a hobby shop and buy a good beginner R/C Helicopter (not a walmart toy) and learn to fly it; it will help with hand-eye coordination.

If you want to just relax and zone out, maybe you can find an empty space and listen to a relaxation tape and meditate or nap for a bit.

My ideas may be a bit male, but hope they help!
  • MMieure
    MMieure Posts: 48
    Options
    Depends on what you want to accomplish with your free time at lunch.

If you want to be productive but zone out, I've been told by many people that knitting is the way to go. Once you've learned the basics, it's just following a series of numbers and steps. I've heard that software programers and engineering types really enjoy it because there is no real logic to doing it, it's painting by numbers, so if you're in a job where your brain is always on, this might be the way to go.

On the other hand, if you're goal is to get your brain going, try reading a book outside of your interests or job field. Just try to find something that isn't the same as what you do all day at work. If you're an artsy person, read something technical. If you're a technical person, read something creative. Go to a craft store and buy a small watercolor kit (probably less than 1 or 2 shoes) and paint for an hour a day. Go to Radio Shack and buy an electronic circuitry kits, but tell your coworkers what's up so they don't think you're making a bomb at your desk! Buy a Lego robot kit and learn to program it, or just buy regular Legos and build whatever. Go to a hobby shop and buy a good beginner R/C Helicopter (not a walmart toy) and learn to fly it; it will help with hand-eye coordination.

If you want to just relax and zone out, maybe you can find an empty space and listen to a relaxation tape and meditate or nap for a bit.

My ideas may be a bit male, but hope they help!

Thanks for your input. Your ideas are great! I am eating at my desk so that I am not tempted to order something that I shouldn't at a restaurant. My portions are so small that it takes me no time at all to eat and then I am board out of my mind for the remainder of the time. I think I will start with a good book.