Healthy Places to Eat Out

Options
Anyone have any suggestions or input on healthy places to eat out? I have just started a diet and I am suppose to meet a friend for dinner tonight, no clue what or where to eat....

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have added "healthy options" to their menus as to not scare away customers. I would check out some restaurant menus online before you go and decide what you want before you get there. Probably should stay away from bar food, lol.
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    You can get grilled chicken or fish and steamed veggies at pretty much any sit down restaurant. Just veto the bread basket and make note (or ask) how the food is prepared. Watch out for cream sauces and buttery/greasy marinades...
  • GeminiStayFresh
    Options
    I suggest looking online. Many places have their nutritional info and the ones that dont STEER CLEAR that's a red flag. Jason's Deli is a good one, however if you go to a sit down restaurant no bread no appetizers and you have to ask your server to not cook your meal with butter! Chile's has a good guiltless menu. I suggest after this though avoiding restaurants until you are further in your journey.
  • Airick18
    Airick18 Posts: 2
    Options
    Our favorite is places with Mongolian BBQ where you can pick your meats/veggies/sauces to fit your diet. If you like that kind of thing. Can get a little pricey.
  • kellymc1966
    Options
    Well, most places have good choices, like salads and fish or lean chicken. Just be sure to get salad dressing on the side and watch for calories from cheeses or other fattening toppings. Applebees has several good, low calorie choices! Good Luck!
  • cocobeenie
    Options
    Try a soup salad and sandwich place like panera bread. You can get a half soup and salad, just make sure neither of them are creamy. Bonus points for minestrone soup because it has a lot of beans which are high in protein and fiber!
  • dicenogle
    Options
    It isn't fancy, but if you have a Panera's in the vicinity, I love their food, and the calories are posted by each item on the menu. If your guests aren't dieting, they can have a yummy desert.
  • SherryGirl
    Options
    All depends on where your going????Salad with a grilled chicken breast? That's what I usually fall back on anyway? If you want something just make sure you count your calories. I never consider my healthy eating as a diet because I am automatically feeling I am deprived. Have Chicken(of some type), veggies and a potatoes or yam?Get to sauces, salad dressings or gravy on the side as they are what contains all the FAT. Just saying... :blushing: Hope that helps some?? :wink:
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY agree with the Mongolian barbeque. I used to go there with friends, and get a bowl full of fresh veggies with some lean chicken and low sodium soy sauce with fresh garlic and other herbs and spices! I would get a little side of brown rice and eat half of it or less...

You can even get relatively healthy food at McDonalds :) When I went there with friends, I'd get the Southwest salad with lean grilled chicken and only use 1/4 of the dressing packet. It had about 350 calories.

Applebees has about 10 meals under 500 calories. If you do go to Panera, CHECK ONLINE FIRST. Some options have a ridiculous amount of fat, calories and sodium.

I also really REALLY recommend Chipotle. You can totally customize your order to be as healthy as you want. You can get a burrito bowl with black beans, grilled veggies, lean chicken, steak or pork, corn, tomatoes, salsas, lettuce (and then you have the option to add sour cream, cheese, tortilla, guacamole) It's very cheap too. Like $6 :) There's nutrition info on chipotlefan.com or I'm sure their website has nutrition info as well.

Thai food or Chinese food, while high in sodium, can be very healthy if you get a chicken or beef with vegetables option. You can ask most places for MSG free and then they don't taste nearly as salty. Just stay away from egg rolls, pot stickers or fried rice.