Tummy hangs over

Options
People call it the front butt or the "mothers apron" but my stomach hangs over my belt line. I need it gone. It seriously makes me cry looking at it. I've read that you can't get rid of it, or you need surgery. I just want it gone. Any tips? I know your body fat will go down as you lose weight, and that you can't spot reduce.

Replies

• HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    bump
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    bump
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises........maybe we have trainer out there that can help!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Its not true that 'that' spot you can't reduce. Your body has tendencies, yes, but its not like it ignores that area out of spite. While you lose weight you should see progress in that department. Good luck! :)
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    You can't spot reduce but, believe me, as you reduce your body weight it will reduce. I call mine the "the hangover" and it is going down, really down, so stick with it, it;s so much fun to watch it disappear lol!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Who told you, it wouldn't go away?? That's a lie, it will!! Your abs are in your kitchen, meaning you can do exercise all day but unless you are eating whole fresh foods it won't do you good. You may already be eating whole fresh foods, (nothing processed) but thats the way, love! I also recommend doing Beachbody's turbo fire, I lost .5 inch in my core in 2 weeks...
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Well, I don't know if this would help, but I follow this girls blog. She started losing weight at three hundred odd pounds, and now when you look at her at about 114 pounds, you would never know. I'm sure she had the apron back then, now all she has is washboard abs. You'll get there babygirl [;
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/beforeandafter

In case you're interested in her, she has some really tremendous tips, information and inspiration. [:
  • mommycombs
    Options
    I call it my dun-lap... because my tummy has dun lapped my pants! :) I HATE it! I had a c-section and it's awful!!! :-( Just keep doing what your doing and tone it up as much as possible..
    take care hun!
    SW 202
    CW 188
    GW 150
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    One good exercise for it is oblique twists. I do mine with a medicine ball and my feet up... Do thirty of those babies and you will be feeling your core working. Do that a few times a week and you should start noticing a reduction in no time.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Also your core muscles are still muscles so you need to work them just like any other muscle you want to tone..spend 10-15 mins every other day on your abs.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    About the only time it won't go away is if the skin is stretched out to the point where it just sags. This happens to a lot of people who have lost a *LOT* of weight. The only way to remove the excess skin is surgery.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think you pretty much summed it up yourself, you need to have surgery to really get rid of it. It will decrease somewhat but eventually it stops and what you get is what you get.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    Depending on the type of flesh.. IE If you have lost a lot of weight and it's skin, then this tends to need surgery.. If it's simply a case of the belly has 'slightly' expanded for a short period of time (like mine :laugh: ), then in a simple phrase - yes you can lose it..

One core thing is to ensure processed foods/sugars are reduced/removed from your diet and also watch the alcohol a bit as well - this doesn't help the belly too much..

Over time as you lose weight this will reduce, but to help tone and firm this up, you need to look at core strength exercises, such as Crunches.. I would also suggest to get a Swiss Ball - great for building and toning your core and also potentially look at Pilates and Stretch Bands - they help with toning..

I carry most of my weight around the belly and my stomach muscles are solid underneath the several layers, but I know that my foods aren't helping the reduction - so it is a combination of both and in time you will see this reduce, tone and firm...
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It will go down as you lose weight. Mine has already gone down big time, its still there but I'm sure with more exercises and weight liss it will fade. I don't know if mine will completely disappear where i had a c-section- and my family after having them usually gets horrible scar tissue which can cause the pouch as I call it. Lose skin is another issue with it too, but it will firm up over time my mom lost 150 pounds and had a lot of loose skin especially in her stomach area but she read not to have surgery until you've maintained your weight for at least 2 years after because most that skin will firm and shrink over time, and for her it has. If you keep working hard I'm sure it will disappear without any problems!!
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Also with how young you are your skin has alot more elasticity in it, which will help with it shrinking up. Make sure do use some sort if firming lotion or even most normal lotions will help the skin to have that elasticity longer and help firm and shrink it. I've used St. Ives firming lotion I bought at walmart and it's helped my stretch marks fade too.
  • Mrs2Mac
    Mrs2Mac Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/beforeandafter

In case you're interested in her, she has some really tremendous tips, information and inspiration. [:

I know this is kind of off topic BUT - I don't know this girls height - but honestly I thought she looked perfect at a weight around 130ish. 114 is still too small. She's a beautiful girl but is looking pretty skeletal. More to the topic at hand: She is young and young skin bounces back alot more quickly than older skin.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Remember you are usually going to lose weight in the last place you gained it. So if your stomach has been a problem for a long time, it may take the longest to lose. However, pay attention to other areas of your body.... maybe your knees have lost inches! :smile:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you are young your skin should catch up with your body and body sculpting exercises will definitely help. Fat cells do not disappear though and depending on size, age, rate of loss, surgery may be necessary. One of the many reasons slow weight loss is desirable as it gives the skin time to catch up with what is happening to the body. Good luck! I would rather have loose skin than all this fat!
  • BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    I have no answer for you honey but I have the same question so thanks so much for asking it. I have read the responses you got..very informative and they should give you lots of encouragment. I on the other hand am over fifty so I have a less optimisic outlook. I have saggy EVERYTHING lol. I have however noticed a huge difference in the size of the saggy belly. I lost 54 lbs this past winter, some before mfp and have seen a big difference. I went from 209 to where I am now b155 at 5'6. dont give up you will be surprised. I am going to follow the advice given by many to work on the core. I am kind of old for this but am trying. You can do it. :flowerforyou: