excercise calories

Options
Is it ok if I ate 1200 a daily total of calories but burned 1300 calories in exercise?

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    No.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No, you have to eat exercise cals, or net at least 1200 cals in food
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    yes as long as you are eating enough to sustain your body you should be fine. I do that sometimes too
  • cL0ver
    cL0ver Posts: 19
    Options
    I was going to ask this too but eat 1200 and burn off 1100? :)
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    your suppose to eat wat you burn but like you i find this hard
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    your suppose to eat wat you burn but like you i find this hard
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You should have 1200 at least. sorry I was thinking of my calories. have a snack
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    yes as long as you are eating enough to sustain your body you should be fine. I do that sometimes too

Eating 1200 and burning 1300 ISN'T enough to sustain your body. It's negative -100 calories. Which is less than nothing to run your basic organ functions on.

Pay attention to your NET number- it should be 1200-1500 EVERY DAY. Check out the Sticky Threads, particularly NEWBIES PLEASE READ ME for more info and details.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    I was going to ask this too but eat 1200 and burn off 1100? :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. No. NO.

Your body cannot function well on 100 calories. NET CALORIES. NEEEEEET. 1200 or more. This means 1200 PLUS what ever you burn in exercise.

This is a general guideline, there are more detailed and specific answers, but this is the basic "DONT STARVE TO LOSE" guideline.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Is it ok if I ate 1200 a daily total of calories but burned 1300 calories in exercise?

I don't mean for this to sound snotty, but think about what you just said. If you eat 1200 and then burn off 1300, that means your body has gotten NO food for the day, AND you're 100 calories in the hole. Do you think that sounds safe?
  • gaddamo
    gaddamo Posts: 4
    Options
    but what if I'm not hungry
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    :laugh::noway:
  • gaddamo
    gaddamo Posts: 4
    Options
    OK I think I understand now from reading the newbie posts. Your body needs a certain amount to stay at the same weight a small consistent deficit beyond that will give you consistent weight loss.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Correct answer - No, its bad. And you shouldn't do it. You basically have ended up with giving your body no nutrition for the entire day. Ultimately, it can hurt you and your efforts to lose.

Practical answer - It doesn't matter. One day won't hurt you. Your body is a survival machine, but it won't start lowering your metabolism over one day. Do it consistently, and you're in for trouble.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    OK I think I understand now from reading the newbie posts. Your body needs a certain amount to stay at the same weight a small consistent deficit beyond that will give you consistent weight loss.

Yes. If you create too large a deficit you create a reaction in your body that percieve starving as a legitimate possiblity and forcing you to fight your body for any loss at all.

Generally, to make sure you get enough nutrition, you should plan your meals to be bigger on days you workout (ie if you are going to they gym after work, eat a bigger breakfast and lunch and more snacks throughout the day) Don't try to eat calories that you've just burned off all at once.

Also, if you are going to the gym and burning off 1000+ calories at a time, consider whether it's worth your time and effort to do so. With people who are very overweight (I'm talking 75-100 lbs or more) it's quite easy to do this, and it's a bit harder to activate starvation signals, so they can run a bigger deficit without as many reprocussions from their bodies. But if you are under 50 lbs to lose, and ESPECIALLY when you get to your "last 20"(often we are in a healthy weight range, but want to lose just a bit more) it is VERY important to eat your exercise calories back. So it's not really worth 3 hours at the gym unless you need those extra cals for food or a particular event.

Best of luck on a safe, healthy and sucessful journey!