Quickly Losing Motivation

mapplem2
mapplem2 Posts: 9 Member
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
I have weighed 215 lbs +/- 5 lbs for the past 4 years. I used to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and barely ever worked out (1-2 times a month). I decided that it's time for a change, and for the past 5 weeks I have cut out most of the bad food, maintained a 1,200 calorie a day diet and worked out intensely 4-5 times a week. I weighed myself this morning and I weighed 214 lbs... after 5 weeks! I'm getting really discouraged and and starting to think that maybe 215 is just the weight my body wants to be at, and if that's the case what am I working so hard for? Does anyone have any tips, personal experiences, or words of advice or motivation for me? What works for you? I really need it, as I am strongly considering a Whopper for dinner.

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    You're not eating enough probably - 1200 cals is very low, is this what MFP set for you or did you set that number yourself?
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Hard to say since we don't know what you are eating, how much you're burning, how much water you are drinking, what your sodium intake is, etc. However, my GUESS is that since you are eating 1200 calories a day and working out intensely 4-5 a week, you are probably not eating enough to properly fuel your body. I'd suggest opening your diary - at least to your friends - so you can get accurate feedback.

Oh, and don't get the Whopper. :wink:
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Same thing happened to me. You are replacing fat with muscle, and muscle weighs more. Technically, you should have lost fat, and replaced it with muscle. It took me 5 weeks to lose the first 2lbs, and now, after about 8/9 weeks, I have lost 8 altogether.

Best thing to do is also measure yourself. I lost inches the first 5 weeks, and that kept me motivated.

Dont give up - it will happen!
  • fitnessjch
    Same thing happened to me. You are replacing fat with muscle, and muscle weighs more. Technically, you should have lost fat, and replaced it with muscle. It took me 5 weeks to lose the first 2lbs, and now, after about 8/9 weeks, I have lost 8 altogether.

Best thing to do is also measure yourself. I lost inches the first 5 weeks, and that kept me motivated.

Dont give up - it will happen!
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    I can't see your food diary so I'm not sure how to adivse you but based on the information you shared, it almost sounds as though you aren't eating enough. 1200 calories is not enough for your body if you're putting in intense workouts 4-5 days a week. It's probably in starvation mode...

What are you eating and how frequently?
  • fitnessjch
    PS my calorie intake, set by MFP is 1290 calories. I do eat my exercise calories where possible though
  • Take other measurements and see what's happening there. Don't let other people just tell you muscle weighs more than fat. It's true, but WAY overused as an excuse. I would actually up your calorie intake. It sounds like your body isn't letting anything go. Read up on starvation mode.... it's real. I never believed it until it happened to me.

Avoid the Whopper! Good luck, hon.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Honestly, I don't think you are eating enough. I'm at 220lbs and my calorie goal is set at 1380, and that is BEFORE my exercise calories are added in (which I do eat). I can't see your food diary to see what foods you are eating, but the types of food you are consuming could be a major part of the problem, as well. Focus on fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean protiens. Don't give up - you can do it!
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Don't give up!!! It took a bit for my body to figure out "hey, she's exercising here" and drop some weight. Drink a LOT of water (I hate the darn stuff, but it helps a LOT) - and keep up with the exercising! I'm not an expert on the calorie counting so I don't know if that's enough calories for you or not. Are you doing the 6 small meals a day? I know that's helped me a ton. But, don't lose faith. The weight can and will come off. If you would like a buddy - feel free to friend me :)
  • Have you tried calorie cycling? Your body get used to something pretty quickly and 1200 will seem like a famine situation to your body. It will hoard fat instead of shedding it. So have 1 or 2 days a week where you go over 1200 on purpose. Maybe do 1400, then back to 1200. It will keep your body guessing and out of starvation mode. Also are you working on building muscle as well as cardio. Muscle burns fat all the time, cardio for a few hours. Make sure your getting at least 7 hours of sleep every night as well. This allows your fat burning hormones to do their thing. Finally measure yourself as well as weighing yourself. Sometimes when I hit a platuea I'll still shed inches. Most of all don't stress it, it'll happen if you stick with it, it's not a race.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Most importantly, don't give up. You can do it. You were able to motivate yourself to exercise for five weeks, that's a victory in itself.
    Scales are evil. They got the devil in them, I tell ya! It's ok to ignore it. How do you feel? After five weeks of exercise, surely you feel stronger. What about the fit of your clothes? It's far more gratifying when your clothes fit better, or suddenly get to big, than a number on the scale.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Never give up - never give in! Got that from a movie a long time ago...can't remember what movie it was, though! I repeat that phrase every day.:bigsmile:
  • mapplem2
    mapplem2 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks so much everyone, I'm pretty new to this website and never expected such quick responses. I measured myself yesterday and that made me feel much better! I'm definitely going to utilize more features of this site... and no giving up!
This discussion has been closed.