I think mustard and vinegar are safe too..but I add them in anyway
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I tried Jenny Craig, anything under 20 calories was considered "free." That being said, unless it's gum or mints, I count it. Also, sometimes I forget to log my drink powders (like Crystal Light) to my water.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i'm not a big calorie counter / points counter.

i know what i can eat roughly, and i eat it, roughly. i will not be a slave to the calories.

every now and then i check the calories of what i'm eating, to see if i'm roughly on track, but that might be one day a month, just to check up on myself. and then i trust that i'm doing the right thing, and i'm losing consistently, so i know i'm doing the right thing. i write a diary of my food (an actual paper diary) so that when i hit a plateua i can look through and re-assess my choices.

if i hit a plateau, i will count the calories for a couple of days, re-assess and maybe change things up a bit, but apart from that i just try to eat healthier snacks with lower calories. i do check the nutrition panel on foods to make sure i'm not eating things that are massive in calories, i try and eat snacks that are around 100 calories and no more, just so i know that i'm not eating too much in between my meals.

with my main meal in the evening, i actually weigh the plate. so i eat whatever my kids eat generally but only eat 350-400g in total for my evening meal. i know what i cook is healthy and nutritious, i was just eating far too much, always going back for seconds, and eating left overs as i got a bit peckish in the evening, so i weigh it, and then don't go back for seconds. that has made the biggest difference for me. generally i try to aim for about 100g of meat, 100g of carbs the rest is vegies or salad.

as soon as tea is gone, i give the left overs straight to the dog or chooks, that way i can't be tempted to eat seconds later on. when i cook things i really like, i really control the portions that i cook so there are no left overs, otherwise i know i'll just eat them. i figure if the kids are still hungry, they can have a piece of bread and a drink of milk.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes I do because they do contain calories and sugars. Some veggies have carbs too!

All veggies have carbs............

I don't count calories..................but if I did, I wouldn't count the lemon I put in my water or tea.

I looked it up once and the lemon I put in my water has 0 calories.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I count EVERYTHING even those foods or drinks that I know I really really really do not need but wanted anyways. Like my garlic cresent rolls with hard salami. And now that I have had some, I wont be eating them or anything like that for a very long time. but EVERYTHING COUNTS!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    In defence of Weight Watchers: It works fantastically... if you can stick to it. I lost 85 pounds with them and kept it off for years. I stopped being able to stick with it after a while and that's why I'm here. Not all WW veggies are free. Corn is never free, potatoes are never free, avocados are never free, etc. The water-based low calorie veggies are all free because their few additional calories are already calculated into your daily allowance. Supposedly, this is what they've done with fruit, too. I did WW for a few weeks on this new plan and they warn you not to eat too much fruit or it might stall your weight loss. I personally eat too much fruit to not have to count it. It has a lot more calories than green veggies and I'll always pick the strawberry over the lettuce leaf!

I figure though, if you're doing WW, then follow the rules to a tee. And if you're counting calories, then make sure you count everything you put in your mouth. (Not everyone does this but I even count my Yerba Mate tea at 5 cals per cup because I tend to drink more than one cup and every little bit adds up when you start rolling those days up into weeks and months!)
  • schmanna22
    Options
    I am a WW online member, as well as a user of this site. MOST fruits and vegetables are zero points (which isn't the same as "free," though I could see why it would be viewed as such.) The program wants to encourage people to reach for plant based foods, rather than a calorically similar cookie or cracker. They designed the program with the idea that plan users would/should eat about 200-300 calories a day of fruits and vegetables, in addition to other foods, which in total works out similarly to the number of calories that this site suggests, in terms of recommended daily intake.

Obviously, results may vary, but that's basically the gist of it. Their system uses fat, protein, carbs and fiber to formulate how many points a food is worth. But all in all, it's calorie restriction, just a different way of doing it.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I wish there was something I didn't have to count!! But you really do have to count everything :cry:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I count everything, veg often accounts for about 400 of my calories...imagine if i didnt count them!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Yes I do because they do contain calories and sugars. Some veggies have carbs too!

All veggies have carbs............

I don't count calories..................but if I did, I wouldn't count the lemon I put in my water or tea.

I looked it up once and the lemon I put in my water has 0 calories.

Well lemons have calories and natural sugars being they are a citrus fruit..................I usually use at least 1 whole lemon and about a half of another per day, so there are calories to be counted.

With that being said, I don't count calories so I don't worry about it. I am more less tracking my fat, carbs, and protein to make sure I am meeting my customized numbers.

I don't eat processed foods so there is no need to count calories. My main aim is to ensure that I meet or exceed at least 60% fat intake per day.
  • ssmith468
    ssmith468 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I will continue counting everything! I never did WW but I'm a former South Beacher and it helped me lose 80+ pounds. Of course the last bit is the hardest to lose so I'm trying to use this to keep me motivated.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I count every bite!
  • Lorelei19
    Lorelei19 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    WW factors more than just calories into their point system. It's a combination of calories, fat, and fiber. They have a special calculation that you put all three together and it'll tell you the point value for that particular item. Most fruits and veggies end up equaling 0 points so it's not something they worry about.

However, since we (the calorie counters) deal with the nutrition fact parts individually instead of as a whole, everything counts for us. I hope that helps explain their system a little more (without going into a full blown explanation). ^_^
  • Paiche
    Paiche Posts: 92
    Options
    I don't count seasoning or my calorie free spray butter. At most they add 5.

I don't count sugar free gum or my after lunch mint.

And i don't count crystal light.
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm guilty of not counting the small things in my salad sometimes, I ALWAYS count my lettuce, because its usually about 4 cups. I always count carrots, because they're high in sugar, I always count peppers, but sometimes if I put in chives, or a few cucumber slices or a green onion, I don't count it, just because its pretty insignificant.
  • Shebug1
    Shebug1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hog it? Log it. Bite it? Write it.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I consciously don't log the clove of garlic I chop to put on chicken, veggies or add to canned diced tomatoes. really? for the 5 calories, it's not worth the stress of remembering. I do log all fruits and veggies.