Eating every 3 hours?

Options
I've heard eating light, lower calorie meals every 3 hours is the best thing to keep your metabolism up & running.
What are the best type of foods to eat near morning and afternoon, so on and so forth?
New to this idea, and would like as much info as possible. :) Thanks.

Replies

• mssugarca
    mssugarca Posts: 75
    Options
    fresh fruit and veggies...should keep you going and ward off empty calories....and cravings hopefully
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yes,I eat 6 meals a day---each one is carb and protein balanced which keeps my blood sugars level all day long so that I dont have cravings or feel hunger. You are going to have to focus on protein--lots of lean protein, say leftover chicken or fish or turkey from the night before along with a small amount of carb with it.
  • utah_angel1971
    Options
    i dont know. in the mornings i like to snack on carrot sticks, fruits, kraft 100 calorie packs of cheese etc. During the afternoon, i LOVE bumble bee's tuna or chicken salad with wheat crackers, or a few wheat thin crackers wtih some bumble bee flavored tuna like lemon/herb or their their sundried tomato/basil. I may have a few whole wheat crackers with cheese. SO in the morning do the light refreshing snacks, and in the afternoon a little more of the protein snacks. it works for me
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I eat every one to two hours. Proteins, fiber, fruit, veggies. Eggs, greek yogurt, oatmeal, fruit in the AM, salads and protiens in the afternoon and protiens, starches and veggies in the evening.

Throw in some cheese and crackers here and there and a sweet in the evening and i'm all set.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about types of food by time of day. Generally you should just be eating healthy throughout the day, like lots of whole foods (fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, lean meats and dairy). You can also eat based on how much energy you need, like a good carb/protein mix before and after a workout and nothing too heavy before bed because you won't need that kind of fuel while you're asleep.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    a good balance of carbs, protein and fat with each meal. Personally I do try and get most carbs in the form of fruits and veggies and get them during the day. However I almost always have a cup of skim milk with a scoop of protein powder not long before bed. Having some protein before bed kicks in your HGH (this is your fat burning hormone - we burn fat while we sleep. We burn calories 24/7). I hear cottage cheese is a great bedtime snack because of the type of protein it contains.

Eating throughout the day keeps your metabolism up, keeps insulin spikes from happening and keeps you from getting cravings.
  • bellawomenswellness
    bellawomenswellness Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    Eat the majority of your complex carbs early morning and afternoon. Complex carbohydrates such as whole grains and legumes give the body sustained energy. Simple Carbs such as fruits and processed sugars enter the blood stream quickly and give the body an instant surge of energy, but also lead to a roller coaster effect in your energy levels. Taper your carbohydrates off towards the evening as Carbohydrates are the bodies main source of energy and we do not need "energy" when our bodies go into rest mode during sleep.

Tip: Try to balance each snack and meal with a Carb, protein and a fat.

Eating does keep the metabolism high as the body is working to break down the food. This is considered the thermogenic effect. Proteins have one of the highest thermogenic effects, it takes more energy for the body to break them down. Hope that helps a bit.
  • limestang
    limestang Posts: 24
    Options
    How did you lose your weight?
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I eat a small meal every 2-3 hours and it works best for me. I make sure every meal has a bare minimum of 10 g protein. I have had my metabolism tested at the doctor and it is +5% above normal. Not sure if that is because of my diet or not, but anything helps right?