Grass Fed vs. Grain Fed Beef...very informative

Options
I was reading up on this because I know grass fed is better for you, I just didn't know why. This website not only answered my questions but lead me to the other helpful articles.

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/grass_fed_beef_in_a_nutshell.htm

Enjoy!

Replies

• heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    bumping for later, thanks!
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Grain poisons cows and that is why they are feed antibiotics. It is all about the kind of fat they produce omega 6 vs 3. Love grass feed beef.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    omg, my husband and i just watched Food, Inc. it's a real eye opener!! It really makes you want to pay more attention to labels!
  • CynPierce15
    CynPierce15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm definately switching to grass fed, I found several ranchers that will deliver small packages of assorted cuts. Also, Whole Foods and Sprouts sell grass fed
  • Duliebob
    Duliebob Posts: 12
    Options
    Very interesting. I knew I liked fall slaughter better than spring slaughter beef. That explains it.

Do they say anything about haylage, hay bales, alfalfa?

I prefer deer with a well-rounded diet too, not just grass-fed (too wild), and not just grain fed.

Grew up on a farm and still hunt, contemplating buying a side of beef with friends if I ever have a bad year of deer hunting, otherwise I'm venison fed.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Or maybe eating no beef is the best for health, the environment, and the cows? Just a thought! :flowerforyou:
  • sociable15
    Options
    both the movie Food Inc. and the book Omnivore's Dilemma are really good about talking about why grass fed beef is both better for people, the environment, the food system, and the animals themselves.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I knew I liked fall slaughter better than spring slaughter beef. That explains it.

Do they say anything about haylage, hay bales, alfalfa?

I prefer deer with a well-rounded diet too, not just grass-fed (too wild), and not just grain fed.

Grew up on a farm and still hunt, contemplating buying a side of beef with friends if I ever have a bad year of deer hunting, otherwise I'm venison fed.

Vension is the way to go. No worries about antibiotics or hormones. Just yummy all natural lean meat!