Looking for 'the best' HRM

Options
Hi All
Wanting some advice on HRMs - they are expensive so I want to make sure I get one that does everything I want! I run, walk, water jog, and do 30 day shreds so I would like an HRM that can handle getting wet. I want one with GPS enabled on it so it tracks distance and time and would like to be able to analyse the data on my laptop for each run that I do (speed, distance, HR etc). The battery life would have to be big on it as I run a lot and thats only going to increase with the goals I have. Also obviously would like to know calorie burn (I'm sure they all do this!!) I don't mind wearing a chest band if that is going to be more accurate. I have heard stories of some of the brands playing up and telling you that you have burned way more than you possibly could have! I'm finding it hard to choose as so many discussion forums on this are divided among the brands. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i have done alot of research recently and the one that kept being referred to me was the polar with the chest strap...i found it on amazon for about 80.00....which compaired to alot of places was fairly cheap.
  • DreaDreaDre
    Options
    Polar HRM are rated the best. Sometimes you have to pay a pretty penny for them but it's totally worth it.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Any idea which Polar HRM is best? I am looking to get one too, I'd like one that shows calories expended - I don't think all HRMs show this xx
  • Cartel
    Cartel Posts: 40
    Options
    That is a lot of requirements! I personally have Polar FT7 and love it. I payed $140ish iirc. It however does not have the GPS capabilities your asking for. I use my iphone Nike app for that. If going with Polar that does everything your want you would be looking at getting the RS300X G1 ($250ish) to be able to track your distance and speed, or the RS300X SD ($250ish) just depends if you want the sensor on your arm or foot. To data log you would probably need to pick up their FlowLink ($55ish). This is all Polar stuff I am talking about but I went to amazon and websites of the like to research reviews and prices before making my final choice.
  • rshells
    rshells Posts: 33
    Options
    Polar is a great brand that is the one i am currently using and I am throughly pleased
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with the FT7, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at 349. I have seen it as low as 229 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

The FT40 and FT60 are also good...each adds a feature up the line and they are cheaper (but do not come with a Flow Link).

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/

- Drew
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    My boyfriend recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner 310XT and loves it. It's a bit chunky but in terms of being GPS enabled is less chunky than the Polar option. It does everything you want (including being water resistant). It cost round AUD$400 and I think he got it online at Wiggle.co.uk. You could also have a look at the Forerunner 405 or 410 which are much less chunky and look like they do pretty much everything the 310 does.