Sick from depression?

Options
NewMK08
NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
Is it possible to be depressed and then start to feel physically ill from being sad? If so, I think I have it...The sad sickness.

Replies

• NewMK08
    Options
    Is it possible to be depressed and then start to feel physically ill from being sad? If so, I think I have it...The sad sickness.
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes it is. Sometimes people get the winter blues, if you dont have anything going on thats upsetting or a history it might be that. If its the winter blues try opening the blinds letting the sun find things to do outside so you dont feel trapped in the house.I ve been fighting depression my whole life and its not easy. So if you need someone to talk to just send me a note.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Yes that is one of the signs of severe depression. I think you should go and talk to your doctor. Sometimes depression can be caused from chemical imbalances and medication can help. Other times counceling can help. I'm finally getting past some major depression.
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    I guess it may be possible..Depression does take a huge role on your body. Sorry you've been down, if you want to talk pm me unless you want to talk on here. I hope you feel better.:flowerforyou:
  • msblondy16
    Options
    yes depression is a disease that can actually make your body sick. i think you need to go to your doctor and talk about it because you may benefit from medication. talk to those close to you and pay attention to yourself! it is so good that you are recognizing these symptoms and willing to do something about them now! i wish you all the best. it is not an easy fight. :flowerforyou:
  • NewMK08
    Options
    Thank you for responding...Many of you have said to talk to a doctor-A doctor as in a physician, or a therapist? Or both?

I have been going through a lot lately-Moving to a new state, new job, missing family and friends, etc. I thought maybe it was a seasonal thing, but I really don't have a history of getting down when fall/winter rolls around.

And thanks to those who offered a chance to PM-I really could talk to someone who understands what I'm feeling, because my poor husband sure doesn't. He keeps telling me to "get over it", and I assure him that if I could, I would. So someone to talk to who has been in my position and felt what I am feeling would be a nice change.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    You can pm me if you want. I moved this last year from a place we lived for 10 years. I was a SAHM and now have to work. We owe $ to everybody. I miss my old life so much, but I'm slowly getting better. Sounds like we have very similar situations.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Yes it is, depression is not something to ignore - it can have serious after effects too, please please go and see your doctor ASAP - mine helped me a year or so ago, I was on Fluoxetine for 6 months after moving to another city, I had my dog - that I had for 10 years stolen from my garden, and just lost it one day at work, it really helped to talk to an outsider - someone that was not too close to me or my situation.

You've made a great start, in posting here :drinker:, now you just need to make that call - you can do it :drinker:

Let us know how you get on - in the meantime, look after yourself, and relax, do something for YOU and YOU alone.

:flowerforyou:

Any time you want to talk - I'm more than happy to listen.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, it can definitely make you sick. It can also make it very difficult to lose weight. I have definitely dealt with depression in the past and I wish someone had told me to see a doctor- a physician. S/he will be able to advise you on how to proceed and havign answers will help to resolve the stress that depression can cause.:flowerforyou: good luck and get well soon!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I was on Fluoxetine

I was on that too. It's the generic for Prozac for those of you wondering what it is.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Definitley, depression affects so so many things. From feeling sick to aches and pains, to having no energy etc.... I think having someone to talk to is a tremendous help. I have tried the whole meds thing, but unfortunatley doesn't work for everyone. Also keeping a journal is a real help too!! Just make sure to get help, especially if you can't pinpoint why your sad. My husband doesn't understand it either, and while it hurts that he doesn't get it, I understand it too! He is very patient, and tries his best but unless you find someone who's been through it and knows how it feels, nobody fully understands. Let me know if you need anything!!!
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's hard for a hubby and usual other people to understand unless they have or are going through it. You should see a therapist first then from there it can be decided if you need to see a phyc. for meds. I take effexor and xanax and they defiently help with the engery thing i notice the difference right away.if i missed a pill. I recently moved to another country and my family is in the states so I can understand how you feel, I have some family here but were not that close. Hope it helps
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, yes depression can make you physically sick. I would see how your insurance wants you to proceed. They might need you to visit your physician first to get a referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Or they may just say make an appointment with one of those. But definitely see someone. It might not feel like it now, but it DOES get better.
    And I know you said you don't think it's seasonal, but if it ends up being that, I use a light in the winter months. It has helped so much. I just sit in front of it for 1/2 hour in the morning. It's a special light that emits UV light.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have severe anxiety, OCD and PTSD and as soon as I feel any stress/panic I feel sick to my stomach and on occasions have been sick! I recommend seeing am doctor if you haven't already. I recently got prescribed. Low dose anti-depressant which helps with depression and panic attacks and it has been a huge help
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see old posts like this I wonder if everyone a part of it died since it was posted