one reason to NOT eat all your exercise calories back.

Options
2»

Replies

• kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Easy fix... don't eat packaged foods.
    So meat wouldn't have a nutrition label? Meat is pretty darn natural IMO. And meat requires having a package for sanitary reasons. I believe you mean don't eat overly processed foods such as pasta. Even rice comes in a package.
    This has nothing to do with exercise calories and everything to do with mis-estimating your calorie consumption.
    My point was that leaving 100 or so of your exercise cals uneaten can help alleviate any errors, whether it be nutritional labels or your own measuring errors.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    If I go into starvation mode I'm going to eat *you* for making me paranoid. And I'll coat you in splenda and aspartame and refuse to drink any water with the meal so I'll dehydrate and die from chemical anarchy.

This is actually directed at nobody, I'm just a little stir crazy because I've got this really annoying cold and I've spent the better part of the past few hours trying to figure out if the calories I logged for dinner were accurate (I peeled the skin off my leg quarter after baking at 400F on a rack and letting the fat drip out). I have issues. Don't be me - that's the best advice I can give. X-D
  • kittyinaz
    Options
    Great!!! More backup for my opinion that one should not eat back those exercise calories! Thanks for that :smile:
    I'm not saying you shouldn't eat any of them, but leaving 50-100 can help reduce any impact of over measuring or label miscalculations.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    So meat wouldn't have a nutrition label? Meat is pretty darn natural IMO. And meat requires having a package for sanitary reasons. I believe you mean don't eat overly processed foods such as pasta. Even rice comes in a package.

That's just nitpicking.

You don't have to rely on store or packaging company to tell you what the nutritional information for a round steak is, or a cup of broccoli, or a 1/2 c. uncooked rice. You DO have to rely on Nabisco to tell you the nutritional information of Cheese Its (or however it's spelled).
  • kittyinaz
    Options
    That's just nitpicking.

You don't have to rely on store or packaging company to tell you what the nutritional information for a round steak is, or a cup of broccoli, or a 1/2 c. uncooked rice. You DO have to rely on Nabisco to tell you the nutritional information of Cheese Its (or however it's spelled).

What's your source then. You aren't born knowing the calories of natural food items. Tasting a strawberry I would assume there's many more calories per strawberry than it actually has.
  • baisleac
    Options
    That's just nitpicking.

What's your source then. You aren't born knowing the calories of natural food items. Tasting a strawberry I would assume there's many more calories per strawberry than it actually has.

Google. Compare multiple sites. Caloriecount.com, Livestrong.com, nutritiondata.self.com, the USDA database, nutrition.gov, calorieking.com, etc.; no reason to fudge numbers.
  • kittyinaz
    Options

Google. Compare multiple sites. Caloriecount.com, Livestrong.com, nutritiondata.self.com, the USDA database, nutrition.gov, calorieking.com, etc.; no reason to fudge numbers.
    The USDA database is where companies get their sources. I have been on there all day verifying recipe accuracy for my company. And even using USDA, if they package pre-cut fruit (which we do) we only have to be within 40% above or below. And that's for fruit, not just Cheese It's.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I agree that "part" is a good quantity to eat. Overestimating can be a problem, and a lot of people neglect to deduct the calories they would have burned anyway, doing nothing.

from my understanding MFP all ready takes into account calories burned "doing nothing"...

I just listed to my body and try to get in as much healthy foods as possible. But I don't deprive myself of the things that I love either! For me this isn't about a "diet"... diets don't work... life style changes do!!! Food is fuel and we need to be smarter about what we fuel our bodies with!

It does - and so those calories are double counted as allowable. Exercise calories are the calories you are burning during the measurement time, doing the action. Well that's on top of your daily calorie allowance (so you're double counting the calories to function). This would definitley impact someone who spends a lot of time working out or a long term daily excursion (hiking in the woods for 4 hours).....but I digress....

All of this information is just estimates...you just cannot reasonably take into account all the factors that contribute to energy in and energy out. During specific phases of life, your body processes food differently and so a calorie from when you were 18 is not going to be the same kind of calorie as when you're 60. If you aim for within 100 calories above or below your goal calories and work towards weekly targets instead of daily.....
  • baisleac
    Options

The USDA database is where companies get their sources. I have been on there all day verifying recipe accuracy for my company. And even using USDA, if they package pre-cut fruit (which we do) we only have to be within 40% above or below. And that's for fruit, not just Cheese It's.

Gee... that would be why, if I buy pre-packaged apples (which I've done on occasion), I don't rely on the packager's numbers. The packager is allowed to round, significantly.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Or order measuring cups, spoons and a scale from the internet that has American measurements..
    That's great, but I'm not. I'm not in the US, so volume measures say nothing to me. Most of the measures in the MFP database are in cubs and tablespoons.

Add your own entries in liters and grams.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    This is just one small reason why you shouldn't necessarily eat ALL your exercise calories back.
    I can't imagine eating back any of the calories that I expend while exercising.

I was fat for about three years - I do not want to stay fat any longer than I have to.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

agreed :)
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Agreed!:wink:
  • tjhmoody
    tjhmoody Posts: 28
    Options
    If I go into starvation mode I'm going to eat *you* for making me paranoid. And I'll coat you in splenda and aspartame and refuse to drink any water with the meal so I'll dehydrate and die from chemical anarchy.

This is actually directed at nobody, I'm just a little stir crazy because I've got this really annoying cold and I've spent the better part of the past few hours trying to figure out if the calories I logged for dinner were accurate (I peeled the skin off my leg quarter after baking at 400F on a rack and letting the fat drip out). I have issues. Don't be me - that's the best advice I can give. X-D

I love you sense of humor. Hope you feel better from that 'annoying cold' real soon.
  • tjhmoody
    tjhmoody Posts: 28
    Options
    This is just one small reason why you shouldn't necessarily eat ALL your exercise calories back.

I was fat for about three years - I do not want to stay fat any longer than I have to.

I'm not a nutritionist ... never claimed to be .... don't know anything about all this "stuff." But ... if I'm exercising to burn calories it doesn't make sense to me to eat them back. Don't I want a deficit on the calories in - calories out in order to lose weight? So far I haven't been eating back my exercise calories but have definitely cut back on portions and am eating healthier. I've lost 13 lbs. since the first of the year and even though I have over 80 lbs. to lose I'm very pleased with my progress.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options

I'm not a nutritionist ... never claimed to be .... don't know anything about all this "stuff." But ... if I'm exercising to burn calories it doesn't make sense to me to eat them back. Don't I want a deficit on the calories in - calories out in order to lose weight? So far I haven't been eating back my exercise calories but have definitely cut back on portions and am eating healthier. I've lost 13 lbs. since the first of the year and even though I have over 80 lbs. to lose I'm very pleased with my progress.

It is important to get the best nutrition and adequate calories in order to rebuild the damage done by exercise. If you don't "eat back exercise calories" your body is forced to find the materials necessary for repair from somewhere in your system, which means muscle. bone, and organ tissues will be tapped for those materials. To maintain lean body mass during weight loss, you need adequate calories and optimum nutrition. Skip the fried foods and eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and lean proteins.
  • fitterpam
    Options

You are already at a deficit with MFP - the tool builds it in. If you look at your goals screen it shows it all. Any more than 2lbs a week and/or the base caloric intake (1200 for women, 1700 for men) and the body's metabolism over time slows down. There is a reason that doctors and nutritionists recommend no more than 2lbs a week unless under strict medical guidance (which MFP is NOT). In the last year, I've lost about 60lbs by eating back my calories. For the first 6 months, I followed the plan strictly but didn't exercise so much. As of November, I plateaued (and gained a little back) because I started exercising more regularly and didn't always eat back the calories - my net calories were daily around 1000-1200. I didn't start losing again until end of February when I bumped up my net caloric intake to 1400. Since March 1 to today, I've lost another 10lbs.

Yes you will lose weight more rapidly on lower calories, but the body starts slowing down the metabolism (food is the fuel to revving that up) and so over time, it will become more and more difficult to lose. I think the key message is realize that calories in/calories out is an estimate (both on food and on exercise) but if you keep it reasonably within your goals, you have the ability to lose significant amounts of weight with a higher metabolism than you started with and gain a much healthier lifestyle.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Haha thanks I needed a good laugh this morning that was perfect!!! Kick that colds *kitten*!!
  • fitterpam
    Options

Haha thanks I needed a good laugh this morning that was perfect!!! Kick that colds *kitten*!!

Agree!!!