i'm having problems with the 30 Day SHRED

Options
i've been doing the SHRED for a week now and im still on Level 1. My problems with it are:

1. all the jumping about is hurting my shins, my shin bones actually hurt when i touch them. i think it's because i'm still so heavy and my legs can't take the brunt of my heavy body [167 lbs.].

2. i feel sharp burning pain on the arches of my feet when i do the static lunges and the squat and press. i suspect it's because it comes right after jumping so much.

do any of you have the same problems, i'm thinking of stopping the shred for now and start it again when i'm not so heavy anymore. i need advice, i would appreciate any of your help. please?

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    167 isnt that heavy. you just sound a little out of shape. perhaps mix up the shred with some running
  • JenHollandsworth
    JenHollandsworth Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had problems with my knees and feet. It is really high impact. I don't think you should stop because it is a great workout. I started alternating days with either walking on the treadmill or yoga. That way, my joints got a break. Also, I always take the "Anita" option. :)

Hope that helps!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure you have correct form for all the exercises? Try taking some rest days, wait till your shins feel completely healed. Ice them and take motrin. Like Jillian says, she has huge people jumping up and down and doing that stuff, so I know you can do it too! :) Make sure you stay well hydrated throughout the day--that will help your muscles. Also try taking a motrin about an hour before you workout to see if that helps. If all else fails, you could need some better shoes. What type of shoes are you wearing?

Some cushy shoes work best for cardio circuit training like Jillian does, or you could find some comfy cross trainers.

Hope some of this advice helps you!
  • accioskinny
    Options
    if you're experiencing pain, then i would suggest that you take a break from the 30-day shred and try it again either once you're not as heavy or once your body has had a chance to heal itself.
    it might just be because you are pushing your body too hard or it could be because you aren't wearing the correct footwear
    - i'm not that heavy (my bmi is 18.5) and i sometimes experience pain in my shins whilst i'm out jogging or exercising in shoes that aren't correct for me.
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    Hi, if you stick to following the girl on the right that does the modified moves you should be able to get through it. Don't give up! My friend who is over 300lbs!!!! did it. Maybe she didn't have a ton of style grace or stamina at the beginning, but she got through the 20 min each time. You can too! Just get through it each time and it WILL get easier!
  • tricia78
    tricia78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The jumping kills me also. Keep up with it though, even if you have to do level 1 for a couple of weeks.
    Good Luck
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, because of the wrong shoes I sustained a bad tendon sprain that led to fasciitis in my anterior tibialis muscles.. so shoes play a huge role in any exercise program!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You weigh 167? I did the 30DS when I was 190+ (at 5'2")....I didn't notice the problems you're experiencing, but I did already have shin splints before I started the program, so I know how difficult that is. There are stretches you can do to help, I also bought new shoes and that helped a ton! I will tell you....once you're feeling better and are able to complete it, it is SOOO worth it! And you WILL see progress! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mel_0920
    Options
    Two Questions

1) How much are you stretching before and after each routine? Stretching properly is just as important as the excercise itself.
    2) What type of shoes are you using?

I suspect that if you are feeling pain, you're most likely not stretching enough, if that's the case, try sitting on the ground stretching them by pushing your Toes out, then Toes in, holding for 30 seconds each position for at least 3 sets before and after the excercise and at night before bed as well as when you wake up in the morning.

The pain you describe in your arches is indicative of poor arch support in the shoes you are wearing. A good running shoe store will have you try doing the excercise in different shoes at the store, and may even have a recommendation based on the shape of your foot and way you walk/run.

Let me know if that works for you, if not, you may want to try what Jengleman says and try Yoga since that will give your joints a break as he says.
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Take a break for a day or two and let your body heal and start back up. I do lots of cardio and I started the shred several weeks ago in conjunction with my other exercise and I have found that the shred bothers my knees a bit. I think it might be all of the jumping. I find if I take a day or two off every week it doesn't bother me as much. Also make sure you are doing all of the exercises correctly. I say try it 4 or 5 times a week for a month or so and see if still bothers you. If it does than stop and do something else. Good luck!
  • chiarajulieann
    Options
    oh my, so much advice! and all of them great!

i think i will rest from it for now as i probably need my shins and arches to heal.

i wear NB cross trainers but i don't know if they fit the type of feet i have, i think i need to visit the shoe store pronto.

i don't do any stretching before i do the SHRED, i just followed the video along, just as Anita does them.

i am not new to lifting weights so i am doing the moves with proper form.

i really think it's all the jumping around.

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE ADVICE YOU ALL HAVE SHARED WITH ME! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If your having shin splints do this exercise
    stretch your legs out and point your toes
    then write the ACBs with your toes.
    Warmth on them afterwards
    I also agree have rest days at least twice a week.
  • MissSakeenah
    MissSakeenah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and I was in tip top shape. Jillian does too much jumping and it will kill your knees if you're not careful. I'd rather do 45 minutes of kickboxing than 20 minutes of Jillian.