Breastfeeding

Options
Okay, got a big pregnant butt to lose, but 1200 seems pretty restrictive. I've self-upped it to 1500 to make sure that I get enough to make milk. Does that seem reasonable? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    you need 500 extra calories a day to produce enough milk. I would not go less than 1700 - 1800
  • mjaef
    mjaef Posts: 4
    Options
    Type breastfeeding in your food log and you can subtract calories depending on how often you nurse or pump. I'm also breastfeeding and read that you need at least 1,500-1,800 calories a day.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will have plenty of time to loose, now it is all about your's and your babys health. Take a walk and don't worry about the weight as much. Just make sure your eating the right food so you are both getting the nutrition you need.
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A diet that is too low in calories will not only affect the quantity of your milk, but also the quality. Most breast feeding women need a MINIMUM of 2000 calories a day. You should probably consult your doctor.
  • missgotwings
    missgotwings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You need at least 500 extra calories a day to keep your supply up (which is then burned off while making the milk). Type in breastfeeding under your food entries and it will subtract the # of calories based on how often your nurse. Hope this helps!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm also breastfeeding-unfortunately my supply has went down because I was doing 1300-1500 calories on top of working out! I did the food log -typed in breastfeeding. Now I switched to make my daily total an additional 500 cal (1200 plus 500)
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    I set my net goal to 1300, then add on an extra 600 cals (30oz of milk) for breastfeeding, so I end up with 1900 calories. So far I've lost all the baby weight and am just shaking off the extra weight I had before.