Best work out DVD/program???

Options
I'm looking for a good (but not too pricey) work out DVD that I can add to my current work out schedule. I know, good but cheap is hard to find. lol :ohwell: I've seen/heard great results with P90X, Insanity, ChaLEAN Extreme, and others, but those are soooo pricey (for me). Yes, I know they're worth the price, but I just can't pay that- I'm 18 with a babysitter budget:embarassed: (for now). The Jillian Michaels DVDs like 30 Day Shred, 6 Week 6 Pack, Ripped in 30, etc...... they're cheaper, but I've only heard of a few small improvements with those. Like, only a couple pounds lost and an inch or two gone down on the hips and waist.
I want results (including weight loss and muscle gain). And I want to burn WAY more calories than I do now with my work outs. My work outs usually only burn about 150-190 calories....
And it's not that I don't WANT to spend $100-$200 on a work out video/program...it's the fact that I CAN'T.

Can anybody help me??? If you wouldn't mind, could you post your result pictures from the videos/programs you have tried???

Thanks!!!:smile:

Replies

• punkymonkey22
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs with the Jillian Michaels DVDs. The 30 day shred is great if you don't have a lot of time to work out. Anyone can carve out 20 minutes of their day. Her 6 week 6 pack and Trouble Zone videos are 40-50 mins long. What I do is during the week (I work two jobs) I use the shorter videos and on the weekends I use the longer videos. If you watch your calorie intake and do her videos, you will see results. Good luck!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what type of workouts you like to do.

I'd recommend goin with a dvd workout by Jullian Michaels, she's the best.
    Or the biggest loser series, I've done them before and enjoyed the different moves. Great lil burn for under $10
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I would go to Target/Walmart and get the 30 Day Shred and some Firm workouts. I really like Maximum Calorie Burn. It will give you good variety so you can mix it up. I like 30 Day Shred for toning, but always do another cardio workout with it.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    IDK if you have access to Netflix, but there are a ton to rent and some to stream in as well...also some times on demand has a selection...and don't forget your local library! That way you can 'try before you buy'...or keep on trying and don't buy :0)

Netflix is how I found the Kimberly Spreen DVD's and MAN they are a knockout workout.

I have more to lose than you, and at a heavier start weight (I am currently 225 ish), but doing a solid 60 minute workout of hers, i burn between 900-1050 cals. OBVIOUSLY the cal burn will be less than that for you, but MUCH more than 150-190.

Happy Sweating!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    What if you rented some to see what you like and see if you get results?
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    Go on EBAY and look up Billy Blanks Tae Bo! It is fantastic and when you do a 45 minute workout you burn over 800 calories!!! I found 6 of them for only $22 and that included the shipping.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    EBAY Baby!!! Search "Fitness / exercise DVD's" and see what comes up!! =] I got turbo fire for like $10 and others too for cheap!
    !
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I love the Bob Harper inside out super strength and there is also a cardio one by him. I love these. you just need a pair or weights and you are good to go. they are $10.00 each at walmart. (He also has yoga one).
    I use the strength training one 3-4 times a week, there is a 20 min and a 66 min workout. I do the short one during the week and the longer one on the weekend or when i have more time. I burn 500 calories with the 66 min workout.
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    Unless you like breaking the law and bootlegging, I suggest 30 day shred. You can find it for about $10 at most chain stores (like Walmart).

It gives you 3 levels to choose from and if you stick with it, is great for shedding pounds and toning.

If you use it I recommend randomly doing two of the levels back to back so you get about an hour long workout.

You will definitely feel it and notice the difference.

Say you wanted something more serious. P90X or Insanity would be the direction I'd send you in :)

Best of luck!
    -Rain...

PS> IF you have questions just add me as a friend and ask away.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I seriously have almost every workout out there and do them frequently. (P90x, insanity, turbo Jam, Piloxing, all of Jillian Michaels and tons of the firm) But I just bought Supreme in 90 days after reading great reviews about it. All of the workouts range from 40 to 50 minutes and they are fantastic. Really, really awesome. The best part is I got 10 new awesome dvds for 19.99. and I had a 20% coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond so it was less. All you need is an exercise ball and some weights. Truly, a fantastic deal. You can preview them on the website. Get them. THEY ROCK!
  • cgeiser1
    cgeiser1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I was thinking we should get some people who have the turbo fire/insanity/p90x DVDs to rent them to us poor folks.

Like rent them out for however long the program is 30/60/90 days of whatever for like 20 bucks.

Cause I haven't herd of any cheeper DVD's getting those kinds of results.
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are a net-flix-er, but -- they have a few "on-demand" videos you can try, and, it can be a fun little adventure to try a new workout every day :-) If not -- it's only $7.99 a month for the on-demand package....affordable for most people :-)

Good Luck!!!
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just finished JM 30 Day Shred for the month of March and lost 11 lbs...I did it faithfully 30 days straight (sans 2 sick days which I added to the end of the month) so I did 10 days on level 1--10 days on level 2--and 10 days on level 3. I didn't take before pics (stupid me!) or measurements...but I went from a loose size 18 to a loose size 16 which I feel is pretty darn good. And my bras are all getting too big lol. I also have her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism dvd which I am doing a few times a week now...I really do say pick something of hers and try it.
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Go on EBAY and look up Billy Blanks Tae Bo! It is fantastic and when you do a 45 minute workout you burn over 800 calories!!! I found 6 of them for only $22 and that included the shipping.

I have his Ultimate Tae Bo and I found it at TJ MAXX for 2.99 :) has a bonus turbo charged workout too.
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this one is not as popular but is a great workout. It is a total body workout and definitely gets your heart rate up. It is called Melt It Off with Mitch. It is by Mitch Gaylord, a former Olympic gymnast. I think you have to order it online and it is only about $10 now (I paid more than that a few years ago). On his dvd he has a 40-minute routine called Cardio Sculpt & Burn, a one-hour workout that is more cardio, a 10-minute workout for when you are very short on time or to supplement another workout, and an ab routine. It comes with a weighted ball that you use during the workouts. I usually just did the 40 min Cardio Sculpt and Burn plus Abs. There is a lot of leg work in this workout (squats/lunges) and a decent arm workout. The good thing about this is that you can get a heavier weight ball as you get stronger to make the workout harder. Good luck in your search!
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks so much everyone!!! I will be looking a lot of these up! I'll probably be taking a trip to Wal-Mart! hehe And I do have Netflix Instant Queue so I will look up those videos too- I do get bored with my work outs sometimes. :) I'll also jump on ebay right now to see what they have! Thanks guys!!!! :D
  • ldon37
    Options
    Go on EBAY and look up Billy Blanks Tae Bo! It is fantastic

Oh yeah! I remember these. They are a good workout. I think still have these (on VHS! lol) I may have to dig these back out for after I finish Insanity.
  • ldon37
    Options
    Darn it! I only do that quote thing right about half the time! Oops!
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was considering a lot of the great ones you guys threw out there....I was definitely considering Supreme 90, but when shipping was added to it, I didn't have enough in my paypal card. lol.... I know, pathetic. SO, I have enough to get THREE Jillian DVDs at wal mart..... I have in my cart 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, No More Trouble Zones, and 6 Week 6 Pack......which one should I NOT get???
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I didn't love 6 pack abs.