Postassium question.

Options
Okay, I'm more or less new to paying attention to the nutrients and sub nutrients and what not. The program tells me 3500mg of Potassium per day, and I get no where near that with out sitting down and scarfing on a bunch of bananas( and destroying carb count). What say you people of fitnesstopia?

Replies

• ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    Have you tried apricots? They have about 1380 mg of Potassium.

Just a thought...
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I've noticed that quite a few foods on MFP do not have potassium listed under the nutrients. Items I know to be rich in potassium show up sometimes as "zero" - so I have just disregarded that for now. You can always look up the potassium (of whichever item is in question) and add the information to the entry.
  • irishbelle345
    Options
    i have learned the hard way that potassium and iron are super important. since I dont eat red meat ( or pork ) and dont like bananas it is hard for me to get enough of these. I went to the dr. he did blood work, because i was passing out alot. My doctor called me that night and said I had to be at the hospital at 6 am the next day for a iron infusion, while there i had to stock up on potassium. after the infuse i had 8% iron in my body. so i took iron and potassium pills every day but they messed up my belly. So now i take 2 flintstones vitamins a day. one at breakfast and one at lunch. they help alot..... and i dont have to heat extra calories and no bananas :)
  • JAmezola
    JAmezola Posts: 4
    Options

Just a thought...

good job! a fruit I actually like, ty. as it stands I'm about 1911mg under what I need. The apricots would get me close and make me a lot happier. That's the only goal i'm slacking on.

Aloha - Yeah, i've noticed the same. But figured if I can find something I like that I know has high pot in it, why not?
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use lite salt. It is salt with added Potassium chloride added. It is the fastest way to add potassium without adding calories/carbs.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options

Just a thought...

good job! a fruit I actually like, ty. as it stands I'm about 1911mg under what I need. The apricots would get me close and make me a lot happier. That's the only goal i'm slacking on.

Aloha - Yeah, i've noticed the same. But figured if I can find something I like that I know has high pot in it, why not?

you're welcome! I was just throwing it out there...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Potassium is not a required entry on most product lables....so it doesn't often get entered in the data base. You are probably getting more than you think if you are relying on the info there. White potatoes are another good source of potassium.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Are you worried about having a potassium deficiency? The recommended daily allowance is 1600-2000mg. Your body will definitely let you know over time if its getting too much or too little potassium. MFP isn't great with tracking nutrients, but there's another website called fitday.com that I use for tracking them. The only problem though is that fitday doesn't have nearly as many foods as MFP, so you almost have to enter nutrition labels for all your foods. Unless you're worried about having too much/too little though, I honestly don't think it's something you should worry about.

I'm on a potassium-sparing diuretic so I have to be careful to avoid potassium rich foods - I've spent a lot of time researching potassium deficiencies and overloads...as long as you eat right and listen to your body, you'll be fine :)