Sick... Calorie Counting...

Options
I'm sick... I have a cold. I found out orange juice is 110 calories a cup. I know I could eat oranges, but I already bought the juice... and I can't peel oranges very well... so I ruin them and then throw them away.

Anyhoo...

I still fully intend to calorie count everything, but I was wondering if I should try to stay within my normal calorie limit. I'm currently eating 1200 cals a day. So it's pretty low and if I have 2 cups of orange juice... like I did today, I wind up having 220 calories, just in a tiny amount of juice. I'm over my calories today, about 1700, which includes my orange juice... so I think it was a pretty good day still, but I'm curious as to how bad this might affect me. What I should do about my calorie limit while I'm sick and what about my orange juice, should I just drink it anyway? BTW... I'm on Benadryl and Tylenol.

Anyone kind of have an idea?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Why not take a vitamin C supplement instead? Or those cold-eeze lozenges are tasty - they have vitamin C AND zinc in them. I think they shorten my colds.

Rest, rest, rest, and drink lots and lots of water.

You won't be sick forever so if you're over calorie and sugar wise a few days it won't kill you... just get back on the bandwagon as soon as you feel well and don't use it as an excuse to undermine and give up on all your previous efforts to date.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Truetothefullest
    Options
    Next time give the Tropicana 50 a try.. not as sweet but 50 cals a cup...
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    I lost weight when i was sick, your body needs extra calories because there's a lot more going on due to the fact that your body is fighting something and that causes it to burn more calories.
  • michz
    michz Posts: 102
    Options
    And ... I can't believe I'm saying this ... sometimes a work out helps to "sweat" it out. Vitamin C is necessary - drink the juice, get supplements for next time - try some chicken broth too :-) Feel better soon!
  • swopoe
    swopoe Posts: 15
    Options
    I was sick not too long ago, and when I get sick, I get really hungry. I just didn't worry about it. The main thing was to get healthy and feel better as soon as possible. Nothing I ate affected my weight loss, so it ended up ok. Feel better!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you should focus on getting better and worry about calorie counting later. That said, eat as healthy as you can, drink lots of fluids, and rest. If you believe in the power of Vitamin C to ease your cold, consider getting the tablets or chewables for the next time you get sick. You can get the extra C without having to drink so much juice, and that in turn, will conserve those calories for you. Just a suggestion.

Hope you feel better soon.! :flowerforyou:
  • caligirl86
    Options
    Trop 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Trop 50 is diluted orange juice. Don't waste your money
  • Kellidianne
    Kellidianne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Agreed, getting better is the number 1 priority, but you can easily just cut oranges into wedges or slices, eat the flesh and toss the peel after. Easy peasy!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm sick at the moment. Haven't worked out all week and have been drinking more water than normal. Two gallons today. My base is 1660 though so its a bit easier staying in range. What's more important is getting healthy though, then just get back on track when you're well.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I agree -- get focused on feeling better. Don't overindulge, but if the orange juice tastes good, then go for it.

And when you do feel better, go shopping and get an orange peeler. My mom gavie one of these from Pampered Chef (and they are out there all over). It really works!
  • lala26105
    lala26105 Posts: 47
    Options
    i dont count my juices and stuff .............u void that out ne way and its not fatty so i dont count it but like soda n all i do count cuz soda isnt good for ur tummy ne way :(
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Cut the juice with some sparkling water, and drink chicken broth (only 5cal/cup.) Just watch the sodium on that broth....

Feel better!
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i dont count my juices and stuff .............u void that out ne way and its not fatty so i dont count it but like soda n all i do count cuz soda isnt good for ur tummy ne way :(

Natural sugar is better than processed sugar, I agree.
    But, you need to count those calories just as much as any other food and drink.
    I stay away from juice as much as possible. Would rather eat the fruit than drink in all those calories.

Get well soon.
  • ObsessivelyObsessingObsessions
    Options
    Thank you guys sooo much! I'm still getting better... I'm fighting major congestion. I only lost a pound... and I slaked off the OJ... until today.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Sick = Maintenance and screw the sodium... for me. :smile:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry about it...focus upon getting better.

One thing I always go by....if you are ill from the neck down then avoid exercise....no good exercising with a chest infection, it may do more harm than good.

Get better soon :flowerforyou:
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I'm glad I found this. I thought I had an ear infection but then my throat started hurting and my doctor says I have a throat infection with pain radiating up towards my ear. Now I'm completely congested too and I'm not really hungry, but I know I need to eat to have energy to fight this thing off. I actually feel better after I have had food. Helps me feel normal.