Healthy Streusel Topping?

eating4balance
eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
edited September 26 in Recipes
I am "healthifying" the Libby's Pumpkin and Apple Streusel Muffin Recipe.

I found the perfect replacement for the muffin itself, but I am having a horrible time with the streusel.

What do I use in place of the butter? (NOT BUTTER)

I have sour cream, canola oil, applesauce, eggs... Please help!

Any healthy streusel recipes are welcome!! :smile:

Replies

• ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    I haven't tried this and not sure how it would taste, but I noticed on the Hungry Girl website, she often uses All Bran Original cereal crushed up in recipes (for crusts, as "bread crumbs", etc.) Just a thought....
  • You might not be able to get around the butter (maybe a vegan alternative?) But you could mix in some protein powder to make them more balanced.
  • eating4balance
    I haven't tried this and not sure how it would taste, but I noticed on the Hungry Girl website, she often uses All Bran Original cereal crushed up in recipes (for crusts, as "bread crumbs", etc.) Just a thought....

I actually just made the hungry girl apple icobbler last week. It tasted a little rubbery, but overall wasn't too bad. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • eating4balance
    You might not be able to get around the butter (maybe a vegan alternative?) But you could mix in some protein powder to make them more balanced.

I think I am going to make some without the topping first to see how they taste without it. Thanks for your help. If anyone has additional ideas , they are still welcomed!
This discussion has been closed.