Should I be counting fruit and veggie calories?

Options
brapuk
brapuk Posts: 11 Member
Title says it all, some people have told me yes others have said no. What do you think? Thanks!

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Of course. If it has calories...count it! :smile:
  • JessJoJell
    Options
    I have wondered this also and the answers I got were yes... they are still calories and really fruit calories can add up. You need to include all calories even the healthy ones :smile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories are calories - some are more nutritious than others, but they add up.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    absolutely every calorie counts.. some are simply more nutritious than others... so for sure you have to count everything you eat or drink *S*
  • Girlypeekaboo
    Options
    Yeah every calorie adds up hun :)
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    Agreed, count them!!!! Even though they are healthy calories, sugars and carbs they still count!!!!!!!!!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, it all adds up.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially the fruit as they are high in carbs (but the good kind, you like these carbs). I don't count a leaf of lettuce on a sandwich (which is about 2 cals) but I do count a cup of salad or a whole tomato, that kind of thing. If it's a veggie garnish I figure it's not enough to matter, but fruit I always count. Also I always count my "sides" of veggies, like steamed broccoli, cooked carrots, that sort of thing. Makes me accountable.
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been trying very hard to count everything (food and drink) into my totals. The major reason I am doing it is that I had some major bad eating habits. Writing down everything is really helping me see where those calories are coming from
  • brazilian27
    Options
    yes
  • brapuk
    brapuk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! You have all been very helpful!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you need to count, and record everything that crosses your lips :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any reason at all why you wouldn't.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I say count anything and everything you put in your mouth! Even if you're just tasting or grabbing something off of someone's plate, count it!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes! Why wouldn't you? Of course you do! They all add up!
  • mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you bite it, you should write it :wink:
  • stark23x
    stark23x Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been trying very hard to count everything (food and drink) into my totals. The major reason I am doing it is that I had some major bad eating habits. Writing down everything is really helping me see where those calories are coming from

That's the number one, first-step piece of advice I always give, count everything. Your comment is precisely and exactly why. I've had a few people ask me to help them get started, and my first step is always "Change nothing. But for a week straight, write down absolutely every thing you put in your mouth. Every drop of water, every crumb of every bit of food. Every vitamin pill, every stick of gum, every single breath mint, cough drop, everything."

One of my friends was eating close to 300 calories a day in mints, gum and chewable gummy vitamins. We were both astonished! Everything counts. Keeping a diary can really help you see what is coming from where.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Just going to throw it out there since EVERYONE sounded so SHOCKED at the fact that you asked this! It is a very legit question because in Weight Watchers fruits and veggies are total freebies!!! If you count calories with this site then yes you need to count these two...HOWEVER they are not nearly as important as other diets do not count them at all!!!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I log the major servings of fruits and vegetables, but I do ease up on some of those vegetables that aren't too high on calories. For example, I will log 2 cups of lettuce in a salad, but I might miss the onions, celery, and peppers that garnish it Of course, I will log the cheese, any meats, and salad dressing that I add to it since those add up.

I logged everything for a couple of weeks so that I knew that missing a cucumber slice wasn't going to be a big deal, but an apple was (low in calories, but takes up some of my sugar budget.

Good luck on your journey!
  • mvpas
    mvpas Posts: 4
    Options
    This is where Weight Watchers messed me up. I never counted calories. Only points. Fruits and veggies were all low or zero. That just gives you the green light. When I started here and relearning calories etc, it was an eye opener. I contacted WW to ask where I can get the nutrition counts for recipes (I like their recipes) and was told it was not necessary as the point system is perfect. There are things other than points for health reasons (sodium etc). I love this site