Hair bleach to platinum question

Options
warmachinejt
warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
Hey has anyone done this at a salon? There's a very reputable one near me and has a lot of great reviews. I have already gone personally and taken estimates and it should be around $110 plus the cut. I think they have to bleach it first. Would they be able to do all of this in the same day?
I've never dyed my hair ever ever just so you know.

Replies

• B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    U know this is a health and fitness site, right??
  • brendaleentjes
    brendaleentjes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've done it for my son and yes it works but it is time consuming. Probably will be 2-3 hours. The problem is if you have really dark hair your roots will start to show very quickly.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It depends the color of your hair currently. The name of the salon doesn't always guarantee you're going to get the best service. You're just going to get a more expensive bill. Lol. If your hair is colored dark to begin with it will probably take more than one trip. If your hair is virgin (your natural untreated hair) then it could be done in one trip. Be sure to get someone who knows what they are doing and will not give you chemical burn. It hurts. I know. And will also not fry your hair. It sucks. I know. Lol.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

This is the chit-chat board.....doesn't have to be health or fitness related.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

U know this is the chit-chat, fun, and games section right??
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

U know this is the chit-chat, fun, and games section right??
    :laugh: just what I was thinking
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    Hey has anyone done this at a salon? There's a very reputable one near me and has a lot of great reviews. I have already gone personally and taken estimates and it should be around $110 plus the cut. I think they have to bleach it first. Would they be able to do all of this in the same day?

they would be able to do it all in one day it is just hard on your hair...but with deep conditioning its possible...i have natural blonde hair and i have black in it and decided one day i was tired of it and had it all stripped out and bleached to match the rest in one day...ps i put the black back in haha
  • warmachinejt
    Options
    I think i would be fine with roots showing quick but I just dont wanna F up my hair you know. I want to do something different.
    BTW thanks for the burn on an online forum, just what I needed on a long day.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Options
    Cosmetology school taught me not to try and do it all in one day and risk damaging your hair. I would not suggest if your hair is colored especially dark (out of the bottle color) to do it all in one day. Make the trips a couple of weeks apart. Let your hair rest. Deep conditioning is good too.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I've never done it in a salon...I always just use Sun-in in the summer time and I get pretty platinum really fast. Like the above posts said, it does depend on how dark your hair is. If you do it, post a before and after pic!
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think i would be fine with roots showing quick but I just dont wanna F up my hair you know. I want to do something different.
    BTW thanks for the burn on an online forum, just what I needed on a long day.

I was thinking the same thing...whats the big deal? good luck with the dye...i wish i was a blonde again:(
  • warmachinejt
    Options
    I just don't wanna go out with bleached hair looking all ugly blonde (don't like blonde on me). Besides there's a college thing goin on and I wanted to go with new hair before friday :D
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It should be possible, you should go in and see the stylist for a consultation. It will depend on the level (darkness) of your hair, if you have color on your hair, the condition of your hair, and your stylist, along with the product they use. It might be best to start doing a heavy hilite and gradually working toward your desired look.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

they would be able to do it all in one day it is just hard on your hair...but with deep conditioning its possible...i have natural blonde hair and i have black in it and decided one day i was tired of it and had it all stripped out and bleached to match the rest in one day...ps i put the black back in haha

If your hair is dark brown/black a good hairdresser won't strip all the color in one visit. It's incredibly damaging to the hair and if done in one step it can fry the hair to the point that it won't take color and will essentially be clear. Trust me, I've done it. You can see from my profile pic how dark my hair is. When I bleached my hair it ruined it to the point that dye my natural color only made it a honey blonde and it never recovered. The darkest I could get it (months later) was a medium reddish brown, I had to keep cutting off the bleached ends as it grew out. Definitely make sure your stylist knows what he or she is doing and if your hair is dark, be careful! My roots started showing the day after I bleached my hair and it looked like grey stubble through the blonde/clear hair.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Options
    Lol. If it does turn out a crazy color, go to your local beauty supply store, like Sally's or Armstrong or places like that and they can find you a toner to put in and it will cut the crazy orange color or whatever it may be out.
  • warmachinejt
    Options
    I think I will end up doing it but I have a feeling that something won't go as I want :P
    All the info is appreciated. How about from one day to the other? I could bleach it on thursday and tone it (purple? I read) on FRi morning?
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but if you live near an Aveda Institute, I highly recommend them! They took me from a light/medium brown (they called it a level 7, I think) to platinum in one visit--toning included--and I've been platinum for almost two years now. They don't even have to tone my new growth anymore, because my hair actually likes the Enlightener product :) Good luck, whatever you do...platinum is so much fun!
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think I will end up doing it but I have a feeling that something won't go as I want :P
    All the info is appreciated. How about from one day to the other? I could bleach it on thursday and tone it (purple? I read) on FRi morning?

You can lighten and tone with a violet in one day, just don't attempt that at home! If you try to do it and your hair is porous it will suck it up leaving you with violet hair. Let a stylist tone it. I rarely tone someone's hair with a straight violet, I usually mix a N with it. Get a great conditioner and leave in after, like morrocanoil the shampoo, conditioner, & oil, or for a less price but still great get redken extreme shampoo, conditioner, & anti-snap. Good luck, hope you can achieve the look you want!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

This is the chit chat forum she can ask whatever she wants as long as it does not violate the rule.
  • warmachinejt
    Options
    lol I'm not a she, but thanks
    And I'm not trying anything at home :P I don't wanna mess up my hair