shin splints, knee pain - how serious is this?

Options
i've been working out hard (6 days a week) for 5 months now and am feeling dull pains in my legs. i started icing my shins for 20 mins each night after a workout and that pain has mostly gone away - but now my knees are starting to feel a little funny! kind of achey. it's not something that through the course of the day i'm thinking "wow my knees hurt," it's just a dull pain that i notice every once in a while, like if i am standing in a weird way or something. so now i'm starting to ice my knees too. could this maybe be signs of irreparable damage being done, like a loss of cartilage, or are these just simple injuries that will heal if i ice and maybe do lower impact workouts? anyone know?

Replies

• Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor. No one can diagnose injuries over the internet.
  • Fiorentina
    Options
    You should see a doctor and probably get better sneakers. I changed sneakers and it helped a lot. But you definitely need medical advice. Good luck!
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have bad knee's and shin splints, I don't get pain with the eliptical's, try those or stay on level ground may help you it works for me good luck and keep going :-

• etroupe
    etroupe Posts: 54
    Options
    I suffer from knee pain as well but they only hurt if my quads are weak or doing to much too fast.. if your thigh muscles aren't strong they can not help keep your knees stable and if you don't rest you do not allow them to repair themselves.. if they continue to hurt after rest and slowing down some see your dr.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Go see a doctor. No one can diagnose injuries over the internet.
    i have neither health insurance nor money >:( i'm not looking for a diagnosis, i'm just looking for educated responses from people who have experienced something similar :)
  • 1bubblybroad
    Options
    I've had and still sometimes get shin splints. OUCH! Last Sat I sprained my ankle pretty bad. SLOW recovery. went to Dr. and he said to ice it, ice it , ice it and keep it elevated as much as possible. My friend has knee problems off and on. She hasn't seen a dr. yet, but she's going to. Probably a good idea for you too. Maybe cut back a bit on the exercise. The Dr. told me today when I start running again, to do just a half mile first. Ok? then next time, 1 mile. Ok? then work my way back up to the 5k I've been working toward. It's very frustrating to have this happen when, like you, I've been exercising for months, and to have these things come up is a bummer. See a dr. Make sure you have good shoes and good luck!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! (No ins, no $$$) Unfortunately the best bet is probably new shoes...but again...$$$!!! I would take it easy...modify workouts, use an elliptical instead of running, low impact type things etc. stretch well after the workouts and focus on form with everything. Shin splints are common and nothing to worry about....if the knee isn't getting better with modified workouts then maybe consider some sort of clinic that might cost less...knees are very important to keep happy and healthy!
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would say you should probably ease up on the exercise for a couple of days. I also occasionally have shin pain, knee pain and or ankle pain. Some of that pain in the knee and ankle for me are caused by tight muscles in quads or calves. Make sure that you warming up properly before working out and stretching properly following exercise. I use a foam roller on my quads and calves and it really helps loosen the muscles which helps with joint pains! A few days break and some good stretching could do you wonders.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    i did get new shoes recently so maybe that will help. if i absolutely have to i guess i'll go to the free clinic. although that place is such a joke! i go there for physicals now and then and literally their method of physical examination is "oh um... i forgot to test your hearing. can you hear me? yes? ok good, you can hear." or "oh i forgot to test your vision.... um, can you see that hand washing sign over there? ok good, vision is fine." or the time the doctor could not make up his mind whether or not to medicate me, he was arguing with himself out loud for a good 2 mins. i'm pretty sure he flipped a coin in the end. ok sorry, free clinic rant is now over. thanks for the responses so far!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going to a free or low cost clinic? They're hard to find, but urban areas do have them. When I had no health insurance and no money for three years I went to a local clinic and they were amazingly kind to me. They charge based on your income and will accept payment plans. I got an EKG for free when I was having chest pains and there was no way I could pay for it. (Turned out to be stress and medication induced angina, not an actual heart attack.) Look up clinics online or in the yellow pages. Good luck!
  • Sarac715
    Sarac715 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was having similar problems, even after I got some new shoes. I ended up getting *another* pair of new shoes from a running store. They took the time to look at how my feet are shaped and how I land when I walk, etc. I tried on over ten pairs and finally found some that worked for me. I had to spend about $100 on them, but they are the best sneakers I have EVER had and it was absolutely worth every penny. Almost all the pain in my knees and ankles disappeared. Its amazing what the right pair (or wrong pair in your case maybe) can do!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    What are your workouts? You need to start doing exercises that are hard on the knees in separate workouts. For example don't do heavy cardio like running (hard on the knees) the same day you are doing intense lunges. Also start a journal so you can mark what days it hurts and see what you can move around or eliminate. I messed up my knees for a good 4 months due to a drunkin wrestling match on a hard wood floor (Patron is a great pain killer lol jk). I had to stop all lunges and only do squats. No running or very little; it was very irritating. Ironically the stairs didn't hurt my knees so I did those and made sure I didn't mix the stairs and treadmill since they are both hard on the knees. The increased intensity might have been too sudden and you could have micro tears that need to heal. You look young and fit so you can deal with NO DOC at the moment. Give it some time.

What have you have you been doing more than usual? Increased cardio, weights, strength training, etc???
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I was having similar problems, even after I got some new shoes. I ended up getting *another* pair of new shoes from a running store. They took the time to look at how my feet are shaped and how I land when I walk, etc. I tried on over ten pairs and finally found some that worked for me. I had to spend about $100 on them, but they are the best sneakers I have EVER had and it was absolutely worth every penny. Almost all the pain in my knees and ankles disappeared. Its amazing what the right pair (or wrong pair in your case maybe) can do!!

What shoes?
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Yep, almost all shin splits can be avoided by good running shoes. I'm NOT talking about shoes that some dude at foot locker or finish line says they are good.

In San Diego we have a road runner sports. I love the crap out of this store. But they will fit you into a perfect shoe by watching you run on a treadmill, your pressure points, ect...

If you kind of know your running/walking habits. You can get online roadrunnersports.com and check out the shoe dog. Some people don't know how their run mechanics are(I.E. Over Pronating,) just look at the soles of your shoes and look at where the wear is the most.

It seems you either get a FULLY supported or FULLY unsupported shoe. I run with the Vibram 5-Fingers which have no support at all and I LOOOOVVEEE them. I never get shin splits or any injuries. I run about 15-20 miles a week. However, I only recommend these shoes to experienced runners as not used properly can really do some damage.

If you do get shin splints though. What used to help me before is roll your cold water bottle on your shins. 80% of shin splits are swelling of the muscle.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    could be anything..what type of workouts are you doing?

you probably run huh? ya that always eventually causes knee damage. you wont lose cartilage just from working out..its usually caused by inflammatory immune respones..like arthritis..a dull ache is probably just over worked muscles. there are other parts to the knee that could be getting damaged..meniscus tears, ligament tears etc can all be issues.

doing specific exercises to strengthen the knee will help with stability and long term pain.
  • Sarac715
    Sarac715 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I got asics gel landreth 6, for women.

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Womens-GEL-Landreth-Running-Shoe/dp/B003P2VXHE

Another thing I never would have realized without some help from the guy working at the store was that I needed these in a whole size bigger (9.5) than my typical shoe size (8.5)!!

But everyone's needs are different!
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    lately my workouts for my legs have been mostly calisthenics like leg lifts, squats, plies, elevated lunges, calf raises, fire hydrants, etc. i do some suicides a few times a week too. and then almost every day i'll do cardio for at least 40 mins... maybe thats too much? i used to run but haven't in the last few months, because i'm scared my knees will get worse. so i've been doing the elliptical or a stationary bike. usually elliptical though, and i have a feeling my form sucks because i like to bounce on it (i haaaave to bounce! my ipod pumps me up).

mrphil86: i've heard such good things about the vibrams! well actually the shoe guy said theyre bad for runners but i disagree. if you run/land properly you don't need all that "support" from shoes which basically acts as a cast on the foot and causes muscle atrophy. i really want to get a pair but i can't get past the look of them :P
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    lately my workouts for my legs have been mostly calisthenics like leg lifts, squats, plies, elevated lunges, calf raises, fire hydrants, etc. i do some suicides a few times a week too. and then almost every day i'll do cardio for at least 40 mins... maybe thats too much? i used to run but haven't in the last few months, because i'm scared my knees will get worse. so i've been doing the elliptical or a stationary bike. usually elliptical though, and i have a feeling my form sucks because i like to bounce on it (i haaaave to bounce! my ipod pumps me up).

mrphil86: i've heard such good things about the vibrams! well actually the shoe guy said theyre bad for runners but i disagree. if you run/land properly you don't need all that "support" from shoes which basically acts as a cast on the foot and causes muscle atrophy. i really want to get a pair but i can't get past the look of them :P

Yep that is exactly why you are getting the pain. Too much leg exercises. You do not need a doctor. Try my workouts. I have a feeling you would like them bc Its calisthenics.
  • temperoath
    Options
    Check your running shoes, make sure you're wearing the correct shoe for your foot. A good shoe can correct gait issues and more properly align your bones, tendons/ligaments to prevent the extra strain on your tibia (shin splints). Replace your shoes regularly (300-500 miles). Most importantly, rest, rest, rest. You definitely don't want it to develop into a stress fracture...those suck!
  • carolynmittens
    Options

Yep that is exactly why you are getting the pain. Too much leg exercises. You do not need a doctor. Try my workouts. I have a feeling you would like them bc Its calisthenics.
    by too much leg exercise do you mean all the cardio? i've really been liking my leg workout (the leg lifts and squats and stuff i mean) and i've totally been seeing results from doing that 3-4 times a week. do you think it's still ok to do that, and should i just ease up on the cardio? my trainer said you should always do at least 20 mins of cardio after strength training, and since i work different muscle groups each day i'm always strength training something. hence all the cardio. i think maybe i should start resting 2 days per week and not 1... it's just so annoying, i'm so jealous of the marathon-running people who never get sore knees!