1200 Cal??

Options
Am I supposed to eat strictly 1200 calories? Or am I supposed to eat 1200 Cal and the extra calories that I earn from exercise? Ie) 1200 cal alloted to me daily + 700 calories I burned off from my cardio workout? Should I be eating 1900 calories that day or still just 1200 calories?
I'm grasping at straws now, I have to be doing something wrong, somewhere!

Replies

• healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is the most debated topic on MFP. Many people encourage eating all the exercise calories back but I think you should only eat some back. We underestimate our caloric intake and overestimate our exercise calories generally. Also, I find that when I encourage myself to eat back everything, I end up binging on food. So take moderate steps and eat a high protein snack after exercise. No need to eat everything back.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You should always eat at least 1200 calories. And you should eat a good percentage of your exercise calories or all of them if you're hungry. Use search on the forum to get more info.
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you just stick with the 1200 the extra 700 or whatever you burn from exercising will help you lose more weight if you don't eat them. Weight loss is all about calories in and calories out so if you eat the calories you burned the it almost defeats the purpose of working out to me. I say stick with the 1200 even though fitness pal adds your calories burned to your total for the day.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    The idea is to eat the 1900 cals. They say the closer you are to your goal weight the more important this is. Most people on here seem to eat some portion (to be conservative) of their exercise calories back.... see what works for you. I eat most (80%) of my exercise calories and I consistently lose 1 lb per week.
  • mlynnthomas
    mlynnthomas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The 700 cal burned from your workout is subtracted from your calorie goal giving you room from your 1200 cal goal for the day.
  • Suecoo
    Suecoo Posts: 11
    Options
    I was glad to see someone ask this, I wondered same thing. I have been sort of doing what you advised. Thanks
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    If you have weight to lose I wouldnt eat them at all if you arent hungry...but since you have a little to lose you could eat some of them back....weight loss will just be a little slower.
  • SmarteeC
    SmarteeC Posts: 12
    Options
    I burn off half of what I eat so you can eat half of what you burn off. I am on a 1200 calorie diet as well so I basically eat 600 calories a day plus a little "GOOD JOB!!!" snack. But, if you are only getting 500 calories a day, you are putting yourself in starvation mode as MFP may have said. Good luck!;-)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    We underestimate our caloric intake and overestimate our exercise calories generally.

Yup!

And to answer the original question ... I eat about half back (on average) ... I let my body tell me what it needs ... it's hard sometimes but the more in tune you are you can tell when you need food, and when you're just craving ... not to say feeding a craving is bad, but just that you'll learn your body and how to respond as time goes on ...

Rule of thumb I use is to stay within about 100 of my calorie goal (and try to be very accurate) and eat about half my exercise calories back.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    If you just stick with the 1200 the extra 700 or whatever you burn from exercising will help you lose more weight if you don't eat them. Weight loss is all about calories in and calories out so if you eat the calories you burned the it almost defeats the purpose of working out to me. I say stick with the 1200 even though fitness pal adds your calories burned to your total for the day.

If she is only eating 1200 calories and burning 700, her net calories will be 500 which is way to low. You are correct about calories in / calories out but you need to fuel your body when you exercise. Your metabolism will slow way down if you only have 500 net calories a day. Not good!
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    agreed!
  • Pookieliz
    Pookieliz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    We had the same thought or question. My viewpoint is to not eat the all of the calories earned from exercise but some ONLY if you are really hungry. I am alloted the same calories, 1200, but some days I am so full and some days I need a little more. My feelings on sticking to the 1200 calories and feeling full is make sure what you are eating are not empty calories which will make you feel hungry faster. Eat lots of Fiber, vegetables, and fruits and stick to leaner meats like fish and chicken and you may not need the extra calories. I agree that there is a debate on exactly how many calories are burned during certain exercise routine. I hope this helps you.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was only eating "some" of my excercise calories back and hit a plateau in my second month that lasted for three weeks. I started eating "most" of my calories back and started losing weight again. Get a HRM and your calories that you burn will be accurate. :)
  • awilson444
    awilson444 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would think that you should be eating at least some portion of the calories back. It seems like after such a vigorous work out that your body needs the extra resources to recover. Forcing yourself to be "super hungry" after good workouts can't be a good thing.
  • gethealthygetfit
    Options
    I think it depends on you. I mean if your body feels okay enough to eat 1200 calories, then that's fine. But honestly I think it would be best to eat back some of it, especially if you are hungry. Your body needs more when it exercises so when you eat some back it's helping your body. If you eat 1200 calories you might lose more weight at the beginning, but if you keep going for too long you may platue. So I think it should depend on the day. I set my calories at 1600 (it was 1400 but I actually lose more eating 1600, go figure!) and sometimes I eat 1500, sometimes 1400, and sometimes 2000 if I exercise enough.

I think the best thing to do is listen to your body. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

NO!!! This is NOT accurate!! MFP already builds in a deficit and if you burn 700 and only eat 1200, then your body only has 500 calories on which to function and live. That is NOT enough fuel! In that situation, you will lose LESS weight, not more because your body will hang on to every last calorie it can get for energy. You need to eat back your exercise calories. If you can't eat them all, do the best you can and shoot for getting within 100-200 calories of your NET target. Read the two links in my signature for more detailed explanations as to why eating those exercise calories is so important or message me if you have additional questions. Good luck!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    if your NET calories are below 1200 then your body will go into starvation mode. You will lose faster in the beginning without eating them back but it won't last long. Your body will go into starvation mode and cling to every bit of fat and calories in your body and won't let you burn any of them off. Essentially you will kill your metabolism if your net calories are below 1200. You don't have to eat all of them back but eat enough back to get you to a net of 1200.
  • dlongmire
    dlongmire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat a Protein bar or fat free chocolate milk after exercising to put back some nutrients but I would not eat all of the calories you gain through exercise - else you won't lose weight as quickly. I love the fact that this system tells me how much I could weigh if I keep up my daily regimen. That's another way you can tell - if you look at this quote before you add back the calories and then look after you add them back you will see that your weight goes up over time if you keep eating the calories......
  • lisapickering
    Options

NO!!! This is NOT accurate!! MFP already builds in a deficit and if you burn 700 and only eat 1200, then your body only has 500 calories on which to function and live. That is NOT enough fuel! In that situation, you will lose LESS weight, not more because your body will hang on to every last calorie it can get for energy. You need to eat back your exercise calories. If you can't eat them all, do the best you can and shoot for getting within 100-200 calories of your NET target. Read the two links in my signature for more detailed explanations as to why eating those exercise calories is so important or message me if you have additional questions. Good luck!

Agreed!