Do you recommend getting a food scale?

Options
I'm would like to know if anybody would recommend getting/using a food scale?

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I love my scale! I also found that alot of foods that say 1C or 1/2 C for a serving size also give you the gram measurement and I can't fit that many grams into a measuring cup lol. So I now get to actually eat the 100g of whatever instead of logging that I was eating it but only actually eating around 60g haha!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes! I didn't have one the first few weeks that I was here and once i got a food scale, I found that even though I was carefully measuring things, weighing them was a LOT more accurate for tracking calories.

I have this one and am quite happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    YES! :) This is one of the top 3 best investments I've made in terms of my health (with the other 2 being a HRM and my gym membership). If you cook a lot, the scale is particularly useful. But it can give you a really good gauge of what a 2 oz serving size of pasta looks like (not much! haha) or 100 g fish... so that when you go out to eat, you can eyeball the serving sizes, etc.

And to edit my post, I also have the EatSmart scale that Atlantique provided the URL for. Inexpensive and it works!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    a must have.
  • redhotmel12
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes!!!! They have decent digital ones at Target. It's amazing how much easier it is to track when you can weigh it out. Do it!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Measuring food is great. Weighing food is BEST! you get a real portion size and record correct portion. America's portion size is so skewed. Food scales really help us to get back to reality and know exactly how much we are eating...and they're CHEAP!!
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I realized how much error I had in my portions by measuring the food out.
  • janruffin
    janruffin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your recommendation.... I just ordered one!
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was going to come in this post and say "no.. I just take the est. weight and convert it into cups or whatever" but after reading everyone else posts I am going to get one too!
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Food scales are great! Definitely get one! I have found that sometimes a cup of cereal might be less cereal than the weighted amount for the same calories! Its much more accurate!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everything I eat. Some of the best 20 bucks I've spent in my life.
  • Fitfreak199
    Fitfreak199 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely! If you are counting calories, it is a must . I never used to use one, bc I only counted meals and protein. Now that I'm working with a trainer, I'm counting calories and I use the scale every day. Takes the guesswork out of the process. It's so easy to use also...
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    I would be lost without mine!! I use it probably 10-20 times per day-- I weigh *everything*!!!
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love my scale! I also found that alot of foods that say 1C or 1/2 C for a serving size also give you the gram measurement and I can't fit that many grams into a measuring cup lol. So I now get to actually eat the 100g of whatever instead of logging that I was eating it but only actually eating around 60g haha!

i know i was blown away at how much i was depriving myself when i got scale. no wonder i was hungry the first two weeks :)
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love mine too. After you use it awhile you will have a good idea just by guessing but when I 1st starting weighing my meat portions I was amazed. My portions used to be way larger than they were supposed to be. It helps me stay on track and be accountable.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Absolutely! I got one for like $16 and it's amazing... I alwsay tought I was overestimating my food and as it turns out, I'm underestimating them! I can eat more now! yay!