Sore Muscle Relief

Options
What's your best tip for sore muscles. Thought we could start a thread to help each other out with soreness. Specially when you are following a stricked scheduled with daily workouts?

Replies

• Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    wish i knew as my calves have been sore most days... i just try to stretch them out throughout the day (in addition to longer stretches before/after workouts)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    heating pad. lighty stretch AFTER workouts.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    biofreeze gel.
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Stretching is the best relief. Epsom salt baths work too. I found this fantastic eucalyptus epsom salt at Walgreens ($5 for a HUGE bag). It makes my entire body feel so relieved and relaxed afterwords.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've ever done to help muscles from getting sore in the first place is eating/drinking after a workout. I drink a protein shake and I don't usually have problems with excessive soreness. :smile:
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    Something I do when my calf, thigh or hip muscles kill is roll a rolling pin over the muscles... They did something like this in Physical Therapy and it helped there and it also helps me at home.... Hope this helps you all...

5768506.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    A nice warm bath with one full cup of epsom salts dissolved in the water. Relax & soak for at least 20 minutes. The sore muscles are due to the newness of you working out. In time, the muscles will become accustomed to it and the pain will lessen, little by little.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Lots of stretching after your workout. If you are just starting out, you will be sore most of the time for a little while. It will subside. I aim to be sore the next day and I've been working out for 14 years. It just lets me know that I was effective in my workout.

Whey protein shakes immediately after your workout also help. Your muscles need protein to repair themselves after vigorous exercise. You will notice that you still may get sore, but the soreness won't be quite as bad if you start incorporating a shake into your diet within 30 minutes of working out. Any other questions, shoot me a message!
  • Squirrel_52696
    Options
    An epsom salt bath works for me. But if it's specifically my calfs and stretching doesn't alleviate it then I know I need to get more potassium (bananas). I try to eat one the mornings before I swim to avoid leg and toe cramps and the subsequent calf aches afterward.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Protein
    Stretching right after workouts
    Potassium
    Hot showers (no more since I dyed my hair red :sad:)
  • michele122189
    Options
    GLUTAMINE!!! Make sure you are stretching before and after, try using the foam rolls as well, and try eating more potasium and do lots of cardio, it adds more red blood cells to you blood stream which will brings more oxygen to youre muscles thus creating less of the lactic acid build up!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Ginger - I read in a fitness magazine this helps to reduce inflammation, and they recommend 500 mg after a workout to prevent soreness, 1500 if you actually have sore muscles.

Epsom salt baths help too, but the effect doesn't last long for me.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. Lately I have been in more pain than usual... I think it is because I am pushing myself more than usual and starting P90X may have something to do with it! :laugh:
    I have heard that drinking more water than usual will help, and the shakes are now on my shopping list.

I am wondering how long the pain will last....
  • Seb83
    Seb83 Posts: 18
    Options
    Make sure you warm down, it's as important as the warm up.

Generally in my case I'd cycle gently for 10 or minutes heading out, do my proper exercise, then have a slow ride home. It makes a big difference. Also, make sure you stay well hydrated before and during exercise, it'll help shift the lactic acid build up and lend to less achey muscles after exercise.

You should be a little sore afterwards, shows you've put in the effort. Having said that, my first time out on the bike, I hammered around as fast as I could and didn't warm up or down. The result was a pair of legs that were ruined for a couple of days - not fun!!

Someone has also recommened recovery smoothies/shakes that you make yourself, search for them online; they're meant to be pretty good!
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do the 30 day shred but the next day my thigh muscles ache so much that I am having to leave it to every other day to excercise. Its been great to read all of your ideas, will have to give some of these a try.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and I also drink a recovery drink afterward
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) which you get a day or two after working out. Then there is no relief.

If you're talking about an injury, go to your GP and ask to see a physio, don't take advice over the internet.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    There is however a way to avoid it:

a) avoid harsh eccentric movements, the lowering of the weight for example
    b) keep doing the exercise, muscles seem to exhibit DOMS most when unaccustomed to the eccentric movement. Wait till the DOMS goes then train again, and repeat, eventually it'll no longer happen.
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This are all great.

Here is what I do
    *Stretch before and after each workout
    *Take Glutamine & White willow bark (natrural pain reliever)
    *Recovery drink right after workouts
    *YOGA!!!

But thanks for the Epson bath input, I haven't tried that. I'm gonna go pick up some this weekend :)