Bruising VERY easily?? Anyone else have this problem??

Options
I have been bruising very easily lately especially since I have been doing intense weight training.. Some of them are huge and take up to a month to heal. I look like someone is beating up on me. I am 27 years old and consider myself very healthy. I have been vegetarian most of my life and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. Any experts out there who might be able to help me out with this. Thanks!!! Danielle :)

Replies

• frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an iron deficiency.
  • gazbo1986
    gazbo1986 Posts: 52
    Options
    i believe that's also a symptom of diabetes. might wanna get that looked at...seriously...
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no. i am a vegetarian, but only been for about 4 years..but i've had the easy brusing problem my whole life. there are many causes and reasons this could be happening..but for me i think its just my body makeup..its just how i am.
  • dwallace27
    Options
    My fasting blood glucose is perfect. I check it often at work. usually around 75.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I would go see a doc.
  • hummingbirdherder
    Options
    Have you had a blood panel? Check your potassium levels.
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would get my iron checked, if you are low you will bruise easily. Ive been like that for years..it was easily taken care of with supplements.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I bruise easily also and it takes a looooong time for them to go away. I think it is also genetics. I had to have major blood work/doctor check up for life insurance not long ago and I don't have diabetes, iron deficiencies or any other guesses people have had. But it still doesn't hurt to ask your doctor.

Mine told me I'm just born that way. :) Great I know.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My mom always said bruising is lack of vitamin B - eat more blueberries!
  • juneeb
    juneeb Posts: 1
    Options
    Maybe try taking calcium, normal intake is 1200mg daily.
  • EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am always covered in bruises, especially on my legs. Had bloods done at the docs and didn't show anything so maybe it's just different in different people.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think that if this is a recent change, then you definitely need to get yourself to a doctor to get your own situation checked out.
    Some people are always like this, but it sounds like it is something new for you. GO TO A DOCTOR!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I also bruise very easily - I normally look as if I am being beaten up by someone (in reality just myself, even though I sometimes cant even remember where the bruise came from) For me rubbing vitamin K on the bruises help with them going away quicker...

From this website: www.health911.com/bruises

"Dieters who have lost a substantial amount of weight are also at risk of developing bruises. This is due to the fact that they have many capillaries that were needed to supply blood to their body, but that body is no longer there, leaving the capillaries exposed.

One of the main causes of bruising seems to be a deficiency in certain nutrients, primarily vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, bioflavonoids, and zinc"
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I went to a doc about this. Had everything checked and finally told me to check my family for the same thing. Definitely genetic in my case although I think my no meat no cow milk diet probably contributes.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I always bruised very easily, to the point the Drs suspected leukaemia when I was a child...I thought i had full bloods done back then but they missed a very important check, one that is rarely done. My clotting factors, all factors were checked not just the standard ones and I DO have a clotting disorder. Its not always about factor 8!! My factor 8 is lower than it should be but not low enough for alarm until you look at the other factors i'm low in...it changes the big picture enormously!

Request all factors be tested, many hospitals do not do full clotting factor tests so you may have to find a haematologist first and then request it. Due to my results I now have to carry a haemorrhagic states card giving contact and treatment details in the event of an accident or bleed. I also have to show my states card to dentists etc before treatment so they know there is an increased risk.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds? When I was on SSRI anti-depressants I'd bruise if someone looked at me funny and wouldn't heal for weeks.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I took birth control pills I had excessive bruising. So much so, I had to stop taking them. Even resting my arm on the edge of the table would leave a bruise.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I always bruised very easily, to the point the Drs suspected leukaemia when I was a child...I thought i had full bloods done back then but they missed a very important check, one that is rarely done. My clotting factors, all factors were checked not just the standard ones and I DO have a clotting disorder. Its not always about factor 8!! My factor 8 is lower than it should be but not low enough for alarm until you look at the other factors i'm low in...it changes the big picture enormously!

Request all factors be tested, many hospitals do not do full clotting factor tests so you may have to find a haematologist first and then request it. Due to my results I now have to carry a haemorrhagic states card giving contact and treatment details in the event of an accident or bleed. I also have to show my states card to dentists etc before treatment so they know there is an increased risk.

I agree with this comment here. I was bruising so easily as well and finally went to see a doctor. They suspected leukemia as well, but eventually tested for clotting factors. It turns out that I have a clotting problem as well. I would definitely go see a doctor if the bruising is really bad. This is an important kind of thing to check out.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I agree with this comment here. I was bruising so easily as well and finally went to see a doctor. They suspected leukemia as well, but eventually tested for clotting factors. It turns out that I have a clotting problem as well. I would definitely go see a doctor if the bruising is really bad. This is an important kind of thing to check out.

What type of clotting problem exactly, if you don't mind me asking? I have such a problem....Factor IV Leiden...but i also have May Thurners....veins and arteries collapsed in my pelvic region. I've always bruised before I had my blood clot last year and maybe the clotting problem is why. Now I bruise because of blood thinners.
  • theonlywayj316
    Options
    Not scaring you but you need to get to a doctor even if you think it's something else. It can be a sign for something relatively simple to fix, like iron deficiency, but it can also be a sign of leukemia.