A couple smoothie questions

Options
Howdy. I just had a few questions about smoothies.
Can anyone tell me how to make them so I get the correct ounces I am looking for. Either 8oz or 16oz, are the generally what I try to aim for.
How would I get the calories of a smoothie, I would just add up the calories of the ingredients I put into the smoothie?
What is the best way to get fiber into a smoothie. Should I use let the fiber in the fruits be enough, flax seeds, plain oatmeal or is there something else?
What is the best or a good smoothie for weight loss?
When adding protein to a smoothie:
Is this something I should only be doing after a workout? Or can I also do it for a breakfast smoothie?
What is the best protein powder to use for weight loss?

Ok, so I had a bit more than a few questions. I appreciate any and all help answering them. Thank you.

Replies

• amyreneejohnson
    Options
    Have you tried Advocare's shakes?
  • snackaddict
    Options
    I have not, is that a shake you can make at home or one you buy premade?
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I got a bag of premade Yoplait smoothies... You just throw the ingredients into a blender, add a cup of milk, and blend away. :) They're really yummy too! Each bag makes 2 - 8oz servings and the bag comes with 5 bags inside if i remember correctly.
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you go into the food tab and click on "recipes", you will see a recipe calculator to the right. You can actually type in your recipe and it will give the the calories per serving. I have a smoothie recipe that I did that with because I had no idea how to figure the calories. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • snackaddict
    Options
    @lnosgood, I will have to look in to those. Thanks.

@schotas, It does help. Thanks.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to create a recipe, you can just log each ingredient. I just made one tonight which I split with my bf, so this is what I put in my diary:

1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/2 tbsp clover honey
    1/2 mango
    1/4 cup pineapple tidbits
    1/2 med. banana

I added ice and 8 oz of water, blended it and it made enough for 2 16 oz servings

When I make a protein shake in the blender, it looks like this:

1 scoop of protein powder
    1 banana
    1 cup coconut milk

I add ice and it makes about 18-20 oz.
  • snackaddict
    Options
    Even though you split that smoothie you still log the whole 1/2 cup of greek yogurt or is that just your half?
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The 1/2 cup was my half. I used a whole cup in the smoothie.
  • melisa0296
    melisa0296 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I decided that I didn't want to mess around figuring out what to put in, what the calories were, etc. I wanted something healthy, easy, and not chalky (a lot of the powders are). My cousin let me try her Shakeology. I loved it, did a ton of research, and finally bought it. I make it with almond milk, ice, and a banana or pb. I am a super-busy mom and full-time student, so convenience is key to me. I'm also really bad about grocery shopping for ingredients. Whatever you try, good luck with finding a recipe or ready-to-make powder/protein supplement that you like, and with your weight loss journey! Feel free to add me as a friend!

Cheers!

He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything. ~Arabic Proverb
  • amyreneejohnson
    Options
    Advocare's shakes come in a powder form that you mix with water and water alone. They have no sugar or dairy (which is good bc both can actually inhibit weight loss a little bit) and are SUPER yummy!!!