Anyone have any good exercise routines?

Options
I am looking for something I can do at home. I have no where to start, I don't even know what I am capable of anymore. I am looking for something I can turn into a list of things to do that I can check off and feel like i've accomplished something. So if anyone has any good beginning exercise routines they have tried and loved I would really like to hear about them!!!

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    youtube is full of them or you can buy dvds..jillian michaels has a few. there is insanity, p90x etc.
  • thedons
    thedons Posts: 41
    Options
    i started by walking around the block. also i would use stairs instead of the elevator & if i take the bus anywhere i'd get off a couple of stops before i had to then walk the rest of the way.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Workout videos are great then. P90X, slim in 6, biggest loser, jillian michaels 30 day shred are all great
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    I do walking.. its free and easy and I push my 45 lb son in a jogging stroller when I do it so it gives me extra resistance and makes me work a little harder. I set a goal to walk for an hour in the morning and I do roughly 3.5-4 miles every day. Sometimes more, like a couple of days ago I walked a total of 8 miles. On the weekends and some weekdays I'll go to the local track and walk and then do 10-15 minutes of stairs.. Not necessarily jogging up and down but as long as I'm moving it still makes your legs burn! Just get creative! I do strength training at home with a couple dumbbells and I do curls and squats and crunches and all those sorts of things!! I'm starting all over but last year before my fall semester I lost almost 30 lbs in 3 months doing just that. Don't over think it!!
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Amber,

That is an excellent way to start and stick to an exercise program.

I would start witn a google search " beginners workout plans" You will find hundreds of links.

I wish you great luck in your adventure sister! Owoooooo!!!!
  • Crazykidlyd84
    Options
    I also need an exercise plan and I don't have enough money to go to the gym.
    However, I'm a big swimmer fan so I swim laps in the pool.
    Do you have a pool? it really gets your heart pumpin' and anything that makes your heart pump makes you lose calories :)
    I also walk to and from school. The plan I'm going to start will look something like this..

Start the morning with running up and down the stairs for 10-20 minutes

walk to school & from school at a brisk pace which takes about 10-15 minutes both ways

Swim laps- as many as I can do or for 45 minutes to an hour

Crunches- as many as I can do usually 15 sets of 25 or for 45 minutes :)

And ofcourse I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in between those :)

I hope it helps, I just think of things to do around the house.

Add me if you'd like :)
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So far I only have an elliptical and other than that I turn on some great music and dance around like a crazy person.
  • TurboChels
    TurboChels Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started with TurboJam and had ton of fun ! It's kickboxing and dancing all in one :) Then I stepped it up a level and now I am on week 6 of TurboFire !
  • care28
    care28 Posts: 28
    Options
    if you have cox cable, on demand freezone has dozens of workouts in as little as 5 minute increments. Dance, yoga, pilates, walking, strecthing. There are endless possibilities!

I also enjoy walking. use your car's odometer to figure out how far a mile is, memorize the spot and then walk there and back - voila! 2 miles!
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would do Tabatas every other day and incorporate some cardio (walking/running around the block etc.) Tabatas are 4 minute workouts with 20 second burst and 10 second rest intervals. You can look up the Worlds Fastest Workout on youtube and you will find the one that I do. I also do an ab one and incorporate four different ab exercises. These are very effective in fat burning! they are worth researching. You definitely feel the burn even after just 4 minutes! You can ALWAYS change these up by changing your exercises Example: 20 seconds squats, rest 10, 20 seconds lunges, rest 10, 20 second pushups, rest 10, and 20 second crunches, rest 10. Repeat and your done! Hope this helps!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I would include some strength training just using body weight. One of my fellow trainers was telling me about isometric max exercises. I need to read up on it, sounds very interesting. Find body weight exercises that will hit all muscle groups-push ups, squats, lunges, sit ups, If I had more time I would think of more, but I need to go to bed. You could do 25 each in the morning and then do it again at night. However, I would find more so your body doesn't get unbalanced only doing chest and no back!!
  • kirplum23
    Options
    I have a set routine that I do at home. I do this 3-4 times a week. It has worked well for me because I have kids who keep me very busy. I do these with 5 pound weights. Once the 5 pound weights become to light you should raise the weight. I am about to go buy the 8 pound ones.
    I hope this helps and good luck on you weight loss journey.

Day 1
    crunches 25
    bicep curls 15
    squats 20
    bicep curl/ press 12
    hammer curls 15

30 minutes of either walking 2 miles or elliptical

Day 2
    crunches 15
    tricep extentions 15
    lunges 25
    tricep dips 10
    push ups 10
    tricep kickbacks 10

30 minutes of cardio

Kirsten
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Womenshealth.com .... there are tons of free exercise routines including yoga and body weight programs. I love this site and use it whenever I need a switch!!!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I never go to the gym, I have an elliptical at home so that helps. I have a few yoga and pilates DVD's that I do at home. you can get work out DVD's at the library and then you can change what you are doing each week. I am also doing Couch to 5K and I just do that in my neighborhood or at the park where there are running trails. Search youtube for workouts or if you have cable there are always workout shows on somewhere. I would recommend getting a yoga ball, they are pretty affordable and there are a lot of workouts you can do with them. You can always go for a walk or if you have a bike that is a good workout too.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For free, take a look at Gabby Reece's 'train 360' program. She provides circuit workouts with demos that you can do at home. http://www.gabbyreece360.com/category/fitness-360/train-360-5/

If you want a DVD program you can do at home, I HIGHLY recommend ChaLean Extreme!