I'm SOOOO sore!!!

Options
I used to be very healthy and work out often but after a year of nothing I've suddenly began a new exercise regimen.

Basically I do 10 minutes of jogging in place/jumping jacks ( I switch between the two ) every other hour and 20 minutes of this before meals.

It's the easiest thing to fit into my busy schedule and it seems to be working but I'm SO sore every day. Every day I work out it ends up being less because I'm so sore from the day before, my legs and arms mostly. I make sure to stretch before I do jumping jacks but I still seem to get very sore the morning after a day of casual workouts.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal for starting up working out again? Should I try to do something that doesn't hurt or is the soreness a sign that I'm on the right track towards a healthy life?

Replies

• ineednapkin
    ineednapkin Posts: 151
    Options
    Are you stretching? Make sure that you are, that will really help with the soreness and help keep you from getting hurt from too tight muscles. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water too :)
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching? Make sure that you are, that will really help with the soreness and help keep you from getting hurt from too tight muscles. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water too :)
    Yes I stretch early in the morning, once before lunch and also do mini stretches (quick toe touches etc) during my jumping jack workouts. Maybe I'm just really out of shape!

I try to drink at least a 16oz bottle of water every three hours in my day too. Honestly I feel like I'm doing everything right but I'm still so sore and I'm starting to think it's just because I was so previously out of shape.

Are there better stretches I could be doing? All I've really being doing is simple toe touches and other basic things you learned in high school gym.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    How many days have you been at it? If you haven't upped your intensity it should have tapered off after 4 days or so. Be sure you're getting lots of water and if it has been a very long time, you might need a rest day to let your muscles recuperate.
  • strapple
    Options
    How many days have you been at it? If you haven't upped your intensity it should have tapered off after 4 days or so. Be sure you're getting lots of water and if it has been a very long time, you might need a rest day to let your muscles recuperate.
    I've been on the same workout schedule for three days now and each day is worse and more painful. Maybe I'll use tomorrow to rest and start off lighter the next day instead of the intense schedule i created for myself
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I know where you're coming from - when I was finally SUPER out of shape going back to any routine just killed me. I had to take it a lot slower. I was trying to do lunges the first day and well... That's a deal-breaker for my body, apparently.
  • strapple
    Options
    I guess I need to just not push myself so hard. I used to be able to do an extreme workout for 4+ hours a day and just feel fine but now after a combined hour of workouts throughout the day I'm extremely sore.

It's very hard to dumb yourself down especially knowing that deep down you're capable of so much more. I'm sure my body would appreciate if I slowed down and eased myself into workouts instead of just instantly trying to be who I was before.

Again, I ask if there are any good stretches you can suggest? I feel that mine honestly might not be enough? is it better to have a full session devoted to only stretching or is doing mini stretches in the middle of a workout sufficient?
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would suggest resting the muscles you are exercising for a day. Try an alternating day routine so you work different muscles every other day.

Also you should only do static stretching as a cool down, so do them afterwards. To warm up you need to move the muscles, e.g. stretching the arms back and then pulling them forward across the chest, keeping them straight, and repeat (like flapping wings). Also jumping jacks are a good warm up, but you're doing them already.

I know what it's like exercising the same muscle groups each day; I am currently on day 3 of the 30 Day Shred. My leg and stomach muscles are killing me, but I will push through. I have seen people's results! :o)
    I am adding some extra time to my warm up and cool down.
  • themsbauer
    themsbauer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your supposed to stretch right after u work out while your muscles are still warm. That's what I've read a dozen times anyway