Psychology-Is it all in the Mind? Hunger?

Options
Hello everyone,

I am continuously Hungry; I have a good steady breakfast usually Porridge on the weekday and Boiled eggs, beans and fish fingers on the weekend. I eat lunch, have snack’s and eat a good dinner, but I always go over my calorie count which leads me to exercise everyday to combat this.:angry:

However, I am always hungry, although since joining MFP I probably make wiser food decisions I feel like I think about food all the time, which leads me to want to eat frequently!!!

I keep thinking did I eat this much before?:grumble:
Am I eating more now?

Its driving me crazy, :explode: or is the hunger because I am exercising more?

I have not lost any weight for three weeks now, even though I exercise 6 days a week and I am under my calorie count, whereas some people don’t exercise at all, aren’t that wise with food and seem to be losing,,:huh: I am feeling a little disheartened and that all this hard work is for nothing :cry:

By the way I am also drinking 8 glasses if not more a day!

Thank you all for your time :frown:

Charlea :drinker:

Replies

• Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Some of it could be psychological... I noticed when I am busy with something I'm not hungry until after I'm done, lol.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    morning, I wanted to first look at your diary but you have it locked. So, without that, here are some simple thoughts ~ are you getting a good amount of protein at each meal? Have you tried combining that with a complex carb? Your weekend breakfast sounds like a mix. Porridge is primary grains so all fiber (I think) so you might want to add some egg whites or something so that you get the protein in too. When you are feeling 'hungry' drink some water and wait. 10 minutes later - still hungry now eat. We are famous for thinking of thirst as hunger. You are doing something right already - you've lost 14 pounds (congrats!!). Also, you commented that you are under your calories most days recently - how much under? Maybe your body is telling you that you need just a bit more. Hopefully this is helpul.
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    I feel the same way. Although I changed my profile and diary to only loosing a pound a week and I finally started loosing weight again. It had been 4 weeks since I had lost anything. I was so annoyed. I think for the amount of exercise I was doing i wasn't eating enough. Now I am eating more and I don't feel so deprived. I think of food all the time to. It is all in my head I'm sure. Good luck to you.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    What does hunger feel like to you? I know it is a silly question, but sometimes hunger for me is this feeling that I need to eat more, and sometimes it is an all out rumbling in my stomach. If I am unsure I usually wait and see what my stomach does. I know that sometimes I feel hungry when I know I am not. I also tell myself that I have had enough to eat today (or I have had enough to eat at my last meal) and that I will be fine waiting until my next meal or snack to eat. I try to use logic to tell my body that I am not really hungry, it must be something else.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im no expert, but my guess would be that your missing something.
    Like a vital nutrient.
    Something that would be in the food that your making wiser choices not to eat.
    When theres a nutrient that my body craves, i seem to get the munchies until i eat something that my body can use as a substitute.
    I bought myself some vitamins which are men't to give your body everything it needs.
    And i find that i dont get the munchies on day's when i have vitamin's.
    Unless my body is craving chocolate.. but thats a completly different type of munchies i think.

So i would say just try to make sure your body is getting everything it needs nutrients wise, and then you should stop seeking out food as much.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Good luck on your weight journey!
  • glamazonjenn
    glamazonjenn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    After reading your post I thought of a few things I would like to say....

Fisrt: Please don't compare your journey to someone elses.....we are so complex and different from one another....what works for me just might not work for you and visa versa! Focus on YOU...your worth it! ;-)

Secondly: Am I the only one thinking that you may not be losing weight because you are working out so much you have added muscle??? Try doing your measurements. Try not being focused on what the scale says but believing that doing the right things to get you down your path will get you to where your going no matter what your scale says right now!

Thirdly: I am thinking the same as what others said too....missing something your body needs maybe....look over your numbers...are your protiens low....or even carbs (we do need some...giggle) And if it is just a psych thing create a mantra with yourself...mine is "nothing taste better than thin!" If you have the will inside to make yourself workout all those days a week..than you have it within to tell your stomach to hush!....giggle

Be of good cheer...your taking care of yourself....your fueling and moving your body....if you stay true to your healther new lifestyle your body will get in line....keep up the good work!!!!

YOU GOT THIS!!!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you mean here. I too feel hungry ALL the time, but like one person said, if I know I've already eaten, or eaten enough at my last meal, I use logic and talk myself out of eating when I'm standing there in front of the fridge. One thing I've found that is equally important as exercising and diet is getting enough sleep. Are you getting your 7-8 hours of rest at night? You're definately doing something right because of all you've lost so far...congrats! Although it's great to see those numbers going down on the scale, I find when I have those plateaus and become frustrated, I then turn my attention to how my clothes are fitting differently and that gives me motivation again. You got this! You're doing it! Your body is adjusting during this plateau, don't worry, keep doing what you're doing and it will start to come off again.:happy:
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Are you actually physically hungry, or are you just wanting to eat? I'm having to work on teaching myself the difference. There's lots of times where I'm like, I want to eat something (especially when I'm trying to lose weight), but I always have to stop and basically feel how my body feels and recognize if my body is actually hungry or if it's just a mind thing.