I am at war with my scale again! I hate it so much!

Options
After failing to give up my scale for Lent (I made it two weeks, then caved in) I have slowly gotten back into the awful habit of weighing daily. This week has been really bad - I reached 220 on Sunday, and since, I have been getting on every morning eagerly awaiting the "teens". I have been covering all the numbers with my toes except the two first - all week long, I have been stuck at 2-2-?. Well, today I finally looked at the whole number and was 222. How could I have gained 2 lbs??? I am so disgusted! I have been really really really good, too! UGH.... If it weren't for being hung up on those stupid digits, I'd probably be quite pleased, but I am so stuck on numbers this week. I just keep telling myself, once I am in my teens, then I will have my husband hide the scale, but I can't seem to get there! Boo! Why do we get so hung up on stupid scale numbers???

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I weigh every day despite being well aware that day-to-day weight isn't a good measure of success. I just try to take the numbers with a pinch of salt (or not if you are watching your sodium haha) and just look at the general trends. But I'm feeling like a bit of a loser (not in a good way) today as I'm planning a holiday and the thought actually came into my head "omg I might not be able to get on any scales for like 7 days!!! aahahhhhh"
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I only weight myself when I absolutely have to, to be honest. >___> I'm just going to start taking measurements of all my problem areas in order to get a more accurate idea of what all my eating right and exercise is actually doing to my body.
    I actually had the same thing happen to me earlier this week. The stupid scale told me I gained weight when I felt like I was fricken starving myself. :/ I'm glad I don't own one, or I'd throw it out the window.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was starting to get obsessed with the scale, but I stopped myself before it got to that point. I wanted to weigh twice a week, but still think that was too much. Now I weigh myself every Friday and feel much better than weighing every day or even twice a week.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Our bodies will fluctuate weight during the day i've heard as much as 3-5 pounds! Focus on inches! Are your clothes fitting better? If so, then you're gaining muscle and losing fat and on the right track! :)))
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    I have been stuck all week too. I just keep reminding myself to stick with it. I should be measuring because I'm sure that I would see a difference there. Your weight will vary you just have to not let it get to you and keep going. If you let it bother you and give up you'll just end up having to start all over again. Patience is hard.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Why don't you give your scale to a really close friend and tell them you're only allowed to check it once a week.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Our bodies will fluctuate weight during the day i've heard as much as 3-5 pounds! Focus on inches! Are your clothes fitting better? If so, then you're gaining muscle and losing fat and on the right track! :)))

the frustrating thing is yeah, they are loose, but i dont' seem to've lost inches??? not sure if i'm just not measuring right ;P
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I do too....I only weigh once a week, but on days like today the scale can make me say f&^% it and skip my work out and go back to bed. Two weeks ago I was 197.5, and I had done pretty well so I was expecting a loss....the scale said 199.5 :noway:

I thought maybe it was just water weight, and I've done pretty well this week too so I was hoping it would be back down to 197.5 or lower.....the scale said 200! Ugh, I was so disgusted I went back to bed! I know I haven't been absolutely perfect these last few weeks, but I find it very hard to believe I've done so bad that I've gained!

I've decided I'm going to (try) give up the scale for a month and take my measurements each week. I'm not sure if that will yeild any better results, but something has got to change because right now I am so discouraged.
  • glamazonjenn
    glamazonjenn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Tell your hubby to hide it....and only allow yourself to weigh in on set weigh in days! No shame in asking for help! Otherwise I fear you are setting yourself up for failure....discouragement...and self loathing. None of which are going to help you on your healthy journey!!! Ask the man that loves you to help you....tell on yourself...keep it real!
    You got this!!!! Your worth it!!!!
    Cheers~
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Everytime my daughter see a triple digit ( scale, clock, receipt...) we make a wish. Make a wish and maybe it will come true.
    Try to stay within your mfp recomendation and you will see a difference, (be truthful). It may be slow but anything good is worth waiting for.
    I weigh myself a few times a week. It is not the scale's fault if we are not loosing.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I know how you feel. For the first few months I only weighed myself on Thursdays. then as I got closer to my goal I started weighing myself everyday, sometimes more than once. For the past MONTH I have watched the scale go from 144-140-143-144-142-141-140-141. WHY WONT IT LET ME SEE THE 130'S!?!?!?!
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I've always had this problem and it's a big reason why I've always given up because I'd get so discouraged. I still weigh myself every day, I just can't stop myself, but I just made myself realize that I'm not going to lose weight every day, and that 1 or 2 pounds or so could be nothing but water weight. MFP helps me by being able to log my weekly weigh ins and look and actually see the progress you know?
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    To those of you going through the same thing as me, I wanted to also share that I drank quite a big of alcohol over the weekend (first time in over a month) and I don't know if that could be affecting your scales. I have been thinking all morning - what did I do wrong this week?? Well, I think that may have been it. :/ I am starting to feel the same loathing towards drinking as I have for the scale right now!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I threw mine away LOL

Now I only weigh when I use the wii fit (which is far and few between lately).
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have a bad addiction to the scale myself. :(
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    Don't use it, I used to be obsessive about my scale I don't use it, I use the mirror and the measuring tape.