Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Negative Calorie Foods

Hey,

Me and my friend were chatting about this last night I just found this list showing all the foods, also a description of what it means. I still log everything but find this interesting. :)

How it works?
All foods have a nutrient (carbohydrate, fat, protein), caloric (calories) and vitamin & mineral content. Vitamins stimulate living tissues to produce enzymes that breakdown the caloric nutrients of that food.
The foods with negative calorie contain sufficient vitamins & minerals that produce enzymes in quantities sufficient to break down not only its own calories, but additional calories from body in digestion as well. This is called "negative calorie effect".

Negative Calorie Vegetables
Asparagus, Beet Root, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Celery Chicory, Hot Chili, Cucumber, Garden cress, Garlic, Green Beans, Lettuce, Onion, Radish, Spinach, Turnip, Zucchini

Negative Calorie Fruits
Apple, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Cranberry, Grapefruit Honeydew, Lemon/Lime, Mango, Orange, Papaya, Peach Pineapple, Raspberry, Strawberry, Tomato, Tangerine, Turnip, Watermelon

Replies

• savvynurse
    savvynurse Posts: 292
    bump
  • very interesting, thanks, :happy:
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Hey,

Me and my friend were chatting about this last night I just found this list showing all the foods, also a description of what it means. I still log everything but find this interesting. :)

How it works?
    All foods have a nutrient (carbohydrate, fat, protein), caloric (calories) and vitamin & mineral content. Vitamins stimulate living tissues to produce enzymes that breakdown the caloric nutrients of that food.
    The foods with negative calorie contain sufficient vitamins & minerals that produce enzymes in quantities sufficient to break down not only its own calories, but additional calories from body in digestion as well. This is called "negative calorie effect".

Negative Calorie Vegetables
    Asparagus, Beet Root, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Celery Chicory, Hot Chili, Cucumber, Garden cress, Garlic, Green Beans, Lettuce, Onion, Radish, Spinach, Turnip, Zucchini

Negative Calorie Fruits
    Apple, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Cranberry, Grapefruit Honeydew, Lemon/Lime, Mango, Orange, Papaya, Peach Pineapple, Raspberry, Strawberry, Tomato, Tangerine, Turnip, Watermelon

Sorry I am not sure exactly what you mean?

Are you saying that these foods are calorie free / very low cal because of the energy it take the body to digest them?
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Makes me glad I eat my vegetables.
  • kimbaclay
    kimbaclay Posts: 81
    Bump!
  • cL0ver
    cL0ver Posts: 19
    Sorry I am not sure exactly what you mean?

Are you saying that these foods are calorie free / very low cal because of the energy it take the body to digest them?

It seems to mean that if you eat these foods you will burn off more calories when eating them (from chewing and digestion) than the calories in the food.

Not that there isnt any calories in the food! :)
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    I don't buy it. There is say 50 calories in an apple. Are you trying to say that your body uses 50 calories to be able to eat that one apple?

I need some more evidence on that one.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I don't buy it. There is say 50 calories in an apple. Are you trying to say that your body uses 50 calories to be able to eat that one apple?

this.
    I don't believe that at all.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member

this.

Thats what the whole post was about. I agree--evidence needed.
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126

this.

On the science that is above you are suggesting that If i eat a 220cal chocolate bar but my body uses 100cals digesting and breaking down that chocolate bar, I'm okay to log it as just 120cals!!!!haha!(pulled numbers out of thin air btw) There is no such thing as negative calorie food, the calories that are used in breaking down food is part of your BMR. And we should log all food including fruit and veg to keep track of fibre, sugar, carbs, protein, fat etc aswell as calories, we need to include all the calories consumed to ensure the energy used throught out that day is meeting the minimum amount for our bodies to work efficiently(hence the 1200 min for women/1500 min for men thing or BMR which ever one works best for you)
  • cL0ver
    cL0ver Posts: 19
    LOL! I did point out I still logged everything, I just found it interesting to read! Obviously not for all!
  • Thank you!
  • cherryvee
    cherryvee Posts: 16
    bumping

i understand how this works and yes, you should still log ALL foods down to keep track of your intake. But the energy needed to break down some foods is greater then the actual calorie content of the food - makes sense to me!

Also, has this bear any relation to the GI levels in foods?? I'm not entirely sure what it is - find the whole categorising of food quiet interesting!!!

We should all eat healthy balanced meals and exercise more, that is the key to success :)

xx
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    I'm afraid this is desperately incorrect. The idea MAY be correct for celery, but that's about it.

If you spent your whole day eating vast quantities of all the foods on that list, guaranteed they'd still count as calories. Fruits in particular are full of natural sugars and carbohydrates
  • this is why they are free foods on slimming world I still log them as didnt like slimming world love my carbs to much will be doing it the mfp way
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    I think this is interesting, although it doesn't mean you can eat as much as you like of these, it does help when choosing which fruit and veg to eat, perhaps choosing one of these is more beneficial than some other fruits and veg?
  • zave
    zave Posts: 238
    There Are No Negative-Calorie Foods
    By Dr. Nancy Snyderman Wednesday, May. 06, 2009

You may have heard that some foods, because they are difficult to digest, will make you lose weight. Dubbed "negative-calorie foods," citrus fruits and celery have both basked in this flattering light in fad diets over the years. The problem is that it's not true. The calories your body burns in fueling the digestive cycle are minuscule compared with the calories in the food itself. Although chewing celery might seem like a strenuous activity, it burns about the same amount of calories as watching grass grow.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1896439_1896359_1896346,00.html#ixzz1JUzSfIWj
  • DaniiDean
    DaniiDean Posts: 162 Member
    A calorie is a calorie.... obviously!!!

Doesn't matter what you eat if it is 'good' or 'bad' a calorie is a calorie!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    A calorie is a calorie.... obviously!!!

Doesn't matter what you eat if it is 'good' or 'bad' a calorie is a calorie!

a calorie isn't a calorie.
    a carb isn't a protein and that isn't a fat.

200 cals from carbs is different than 200 cals from protein.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    This is absolutely UNTRUE. "Negative Calories" do not exist--- some of those fruits are actually pretty caloric. If you eat 5 servings of mango, that's ~500 calories right there-- certainly not a trivial amount of calories.