Sugar in Fruits

Options
I absolutely love fruit and I know it has a lot of natural sugars and such in it. When I buy frozen/canned fruit I always be sure to buy the ones that say :no sugar added". When I log my food I added sugar as one of the columns just to see how much sugar I am consuming. It says I should only have 24... but my homemade fruit salad has 35!!!! I take pineapple, mandarin oranges, peaches, pears, grapes, blueberries and mix them up in a big bowl... and then I divide it up into individual containers so its grab and go. Should this excess in sugar be a huge concern?

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I do not get concerned about fresh fruit sugars. Those sugars are VERY different from table sugar. As a personal preference, I actually stopped tracking sugar, as I usually have a banana in the morning and about 6 ounces of varied fruits as my mid-day snack. Knowing this, seeing the red in sugar just wasnt worth it to me. When I did have the sugar showing, I would deduct the sugars from fruits (or cut them in half) and then mentally use that as the real total.

Now, if you are also having a Butterfinger...Those are a bigger problem :laugh:
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am just trying to limit added sugars rather than natural ones. Sugar is in milk, fruit, you name it... but unless you seriously eat a ton of fruit, it's probably OK!!
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    Excellent question. I don't know that answer to that one BUT I know the sugar you use, whether from fruit or another source, is not used, it will store as fat. So IF it's ok, then I would only eat fruit in the morning so you have the rest of the day to use that sugar.

What about some improvisions? I know pineapple, grapes, and peaches are loaded with sugars. What about making a berry salad? Berry's are lower in sugars and LOADED with antioxidants.
  • Gazzaway
    Gazzaway Posts: 13
    Options
    Don't worry about natural sugars (glucose).
  • KaraHB
    KaraHB Posts: 9
    Options
    The only problem I see is possibly the mandarin oranges- don't they have sugar added? I agree that fruit sugar is very different than refined sugar. If it's natural, it's usually healthy as long as it's in moderation.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    he sugar that you are consuming when it is fruit is natural sugar. It is in excess, but not the refined sugar like in cookies or cake. It may not be as healthy as staying under all the time, but since you are eating fruit, I wouldn't be too concerned.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I eat heaps of fruit and am always over on sugar - admittedly even some of it is probably refined - but all else is always good and it hasn't done me any harm yet. If I stall for an extended period (3 weeks+ say) then I'll reassess but for now I don't pay it any attention.

4866428.png
  • kristengraham
    kristengraham Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone :) ya'll are quick!