Question - Eggs in a Bag

Options
:flowerforyou: Good morning everybody!
I have a maybe weird question. This morning I put 4 egg whites (along with onion, jalapenos, cheese, and black olives) in a baggie and boiled it. I just got ready to eat it and there was quite a bit of liquid in there. Is that the nature of egg whites or did my baggie have a hole in it? I squeezed the "juice" off and it was fine but I was just wondering.

Thanks!
Cindy

Replies

• FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's mostly like water from the steaming of the onions and japenos. Anytime I make eggs with veggies like onions, mushrooms, or peppers in them, they tend to be a little watery, so just make sure you drain it out.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am really not any help.
    In Texas we fry our eggs... lolol ..... even if it is just an egg white!
    Never tried cooking an egg in a bag.
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am really not any help.
    In Texas we fry our eggs... lolol ..... even if it is just an egg white!
    Never tried cooking an egg in a bag.

Texan here...

ive never even heard of such a thing... maybe ill try it... can i get some details.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    LOL. In Alabama we fry also, even if its with Pam spray. Never cooked my eggs in a bag.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'd be worried about chemicals leeching out of the plastic. You can microwave them in a bowl: still no oil and no fear of plasticy cooties. :)
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs, but my friends and family do "omelets in a bag" such as you described, when camping.

As long as the eggs look done and have the proper consistency, it probably was water from a small hole in the bag or condensation as a previous person mentioned.
  • bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    Options
    yes. probably the water from the veggies!! sounds yummy though..
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    Your bag must have had a hole in it as i regularly cook eggs in a bag and have never had a problem.

I recently discovered silicone egg cups, they are great!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm from Michigan..we don't do eggs in a bag either. LOL Fry 'em, or boil 'em, poach 'em, throw 'em at cars and houses (yes..mine, we had to have the house repainted..egg doesn't wash off!) Don't know anyone who put them in a bag. Hmmm
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have never cooked eggs in a bag and also never heard of it!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Whoa! In a bag! never heard of that. I would be to worried the bag would leave some chem or crap in my eggs while being boiled. I usually use a Micro S bowl.

I would assume with the veggies in there caused the excess water. I see that a lot when I cook them stove top with veggies.

Drain it off and pound it down! :devil:
  • SindeeLucy
    Options
    LOL at my fellow Southerners - I feel exactly what you're saying....

It was very time saving though. I got the bags ready last night for each of us. Chunked em in the boiling water and continued getting ready.

Maybe next time I will double bag just to be safe. I use cheap baggies anyway.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    LeeBeeW~ How awesome are you?!!! Over 100# gone. Nicely Done! You should be very proud of yourself. Good for you. And, you
    cook eggs in a bag too! Do they come out kind of poached?
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked that way but Egg Whites are a little watery. Easier to put in a bowl and microwave takes no time! Easy and Fluffy. The kids love it too!
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    LeeBeeW~ How awesome are you?!!! Over 100# gone. Nicely Done! You should be very proud of yourself. Good for you. And, you
    cook eggs in a bag too! Do they come out kind of poached?

Thank you so much for the lovely comment. I am now realising how far I have come and learning to be proud :)

Yep they are poached. you can also do them in cling wrap/plastic food cover stuff (not sure what it's called in the USA)