Kinda nervous

Options
Sonofabiscuit2
Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
Going to see a doctor for the first time in 2 years tomorrow, worse it's a VA clinic, which I haven't been to in 6 years. I am going to discuss the numbness I've had in my left foot and in my right on and off for the last year to year and a half. Please don't judge, I swear I really was just too busy to go, lesson learned... Ok, I admit what I did was plain stupid, but I thought it was a good idea. Anyone else have a I'm a big dummy moment they want to share so I'm not all alone.

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I wouldn't go to a doctor if I was bleeding out my eyes.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I knew I had medical problems and it took 6 years to finally get everything checked out. Don't feel bad. We all have dumb moments, but its the "ah ha" moment that should count. Best of luck!
  • bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    Options
    yes... dummy moment for me. dealing with low back pain for 13 years.. severely for at least the last 4 before finally goin to the dr.. found out i have a herniation, a bulge, a scoliotic curve. a tilted pelvis and all sorts of issues. possible nerve damage! now if i went lONG ago.. i could have avoided MUCH of the progression i have now... anyway.. with diet and excersize i am MUCH better. and LESS pain.. so dont worry.. go to the dr. find out the problem and fix it.. just about EVERYTHING can be fixed with proper nutrition.. i suggest you make an appt with a nutritionist after your workup! it can only HELP! good luck.. and dont fret!
  • bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    Options
    yes... dummy moment for me. dealing with low back pain for 13 years.. severely for at least the last 4 before finally goin to the dr.. found out i have a herniation, a bulge, a scoliotic curve. a tilted pelvis and all sorts of issues. possible nerve damage! now if i went lONG ago.. i could have avoided MUCH of the progression i have now... anyway.. with diet and excersize i am MUCH better. and LESS pain.. so dont worry.. go to the dr. find out the problem and fix it.. just about EVERYTHING can be fixed with proper nutrition.. i suggest you make an appt with a nutritionist after your workup! it can only HELP! good luck.. and dont fret!

ps.. .pain levels went from off the charts to a 1-3 daily! yay.. stick with it.. be determined to get healthy and you will!! :)
  • butterfly_lvr
    Options
    sad to say but I have absolutely no health insurance and would cost almost $500 a month to get added on to hubbys (so much for how it is supposed to get easier to get health care). In any case I have not been to a doctor for several years and while I know I have issues, there is just nothing I can do about it :-(
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Hey, seriously, the good news is that you're going to go tomorrow. Keep that appointment, whatever you do! :smile:

I avoided going to the doctor for a few years - half out of not having insurance and half out of being worried about what they would find (I was having weird pains) - and I was glad to get there when I did. Whatever they find, good (relief!) or not-so-good (sorry), best to tackle it now rather than later! :flowerforyou: plus your loved ones would rather you go to the dr regularly, if you have access to health care.

I wish you a clean bill of health, you sonofabiscuit2! :wink:

ETA: your name cracks me up :laugh:
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words, we'll see tomorrow what they say. I think I was worried they'd say I was diabetic. Thanks for the compliment on my name, it's what I say when I can't really curse, I also say shiite muslims and fudgesicles.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't feel too bad about not going. It's VERY common, especially in males as we get into the middle age years. (Yes, middle age, I said it!. Double your age and stare it in the face! :noway: ) I saw the same thing several times a week in the ED. Usually, it was the guy was secretly afraid of what might be found wrong with them. Unfortunately, we saw an awful lot of tragedy that could have been avoided by seeing a Dr sooner. smiley-sad009.gif I have had the same fears, and avoided my Dr almost religiously. Unfortunately, my wife works for him, and they track me like I was on Wild Kingdom!
    But, as was noted earlier, It's a good thing that you made your appointment. Keep it! You can deal with whatever comes up. Heck you're here, you're dealing with stuff now!! Plus, you have lots of support here...

Ted
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think its normal for most people to avoid the doc. I know I do. I dealt with lower back pain for years before I finaly saw a doctor about it. They told me to quit drinking so many soft drinks. Problem solved.

Maybe your visit can be so easy too.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Options
    I'm at the appointment, almost missed it because my gps hates this place apparently. I finally called and a really nice fellow got me here. Bp is high, I think the doc is thinking the foot thing is a back injury related issue, still nervous though.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Options
    3 hours, 6 vials of blood, 1 test tube of urine, 100 questions, 3 bp checks, 20 xrays of back, hip and foot, a clinic and a hospital imaging center later and I'm done. Scheduled a check up in 6 weeks to see if my bp and cholesterol are better due to my diet. Also scheduled an eye appointment, a podiatry appointment and a neurology appointment to check on the foot. overall not a bad experience, something I had a worry about due to past va experiences.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking one more step towards being more healthy!! If you've got bp concerns, add sodium to your food diary so you can keep an eye on your daily intake. Also, I've heard other people here testify that as they've lost the weight and become more physically fit, the bp numbers do come down. Mine did!

Good luck to you!
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Options
    Thanks Nayshel. health wasn't my concern originally, it is now.
  • butterfly_lvr
    Options
    Good for you for taking one more step towards being more healthy!! If you've got bp concerns, add sodium to your food diary so you can keep an eye on your daily intake. Also, I've heard other people here testify that as they've lost the weight and become more physically fit, the bp numbers do come down. Mine did!

Good luck to you!

my husbands doctor said the very same thing - his BP was dangerously high, is currently on just one pill a day, BP within one month of pill AND HUGE change in diet significantly lowered it and he said as the extra weight is dropped it will continue to lower.