strength training then cardio, or vice versa

Options
I admit, this is a repost--I tried to post it last night but so many were posting that it was off the boards before I even saw it on! Anyways:
So tonite I'm going to do a 30DS level and then Jillian's Cardio Kickbox. My question is which is more effective? 30DS (which incorporates weights, etc), then cardio? Or cardio, then 30DS? Which will provide the max calorie burn?

Replies

• deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I hear that it's best to do strength training first and then cardio. By the time you get to your cardio, the hope is that your body will burn stored energy (extra fat) and that the ready to use energy will be best utilized for strength training.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I hear that it's best to do strength training first and then cardio. By the time you get to your cardio, the hope is that your body will burn stored energy (extra fat) and that the ready to use energy will be best utilized for strength training.
  • knantz
    knantz Posts: 68
    Options
    bump
  • STBW
    STBW Posts: 3
    Options
    I do something similar and try to treat it like circuit training. I do my cardio first to get the blood pumping and then slide right into my strength training after my muscles are warmed up and ready to go. I switched up my routine to this about a month ago and it has definitely accelerated the weight loss.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    What I have consistently read is that it is better to do weights first, then cardio. There are two reasons for this. The first is that it is easy to injure yourself if you do a weight move incorrectly (think knee injuries from incorrect form in lunges and squats), and you're more apt to do so if you're tired from a cardio routine. The second is that for some reason it seems to help cholesteral levels if you do cardio after weights. I just read this recently, and I admit I don't understand the "whys" of it, but there it is.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I always go strength first then cardio.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    The popular way is strength then cardio for reasons stated here. But 30DS is also cardio. And it involves very light weights so you would probably be okay either way.
  • Steveeee
    Steveeee Posts: 62
    Options
    I always go cardio then strength, mostly because I'm not a great fan of cardio, and if I do strength first, I'll convince myself that I wont need to do any more. Whereas I actually quite enjoy strength training
  • gupton11
    gupton11 Posts: 80
    Options
    Strength training burns calories over a longer period of time. Cardio is great for your cardiovascular system... I use H.I.I.T. for cardio as it is more effective for weight loss and you can do it in less time. I do this 3 times a week.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=621

I always do cardio first because I hate it... If I lift first I won't want to do the cardio...
  • Kuniva
    Kuniva Posts: 8
    Options
    Strength training is better to do first because you need to have energy to push yourself enough to promote muscle growth. Cardio is based on your heart rate, therefore you don't need as much energy as long as you give your maximum effort, you will get maximum results. However, doing a cardio warmup and some stretching before your strength training is usually advised. Hope this helps!
  • MoonlightMerlot
    MoonlightMerlot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've got both and Cardio Kickbox kicks my butt every time: I don't think I'd have anything left to give for 30DS if I tried to do it afterwards! That's just me, though!