Gallbladder Surgery Yesterday Need Advice

Options
I got my gallbladder out after the doctors confirmed 2 large stones that were not going anywhere. Im sure my diiet contributed to this because I eat alot of high fat stuff. I was told by the docrote that I must now follow a low fat diet since fats will go right through me causinfd digestive problems. Im glad since I needed something to force myself to eat better. Does anyone have a low fat diet or link they would care to share? I have Nutrisystem food and Im wondering it that would be suffients. Any advice is greatly appreciated...Ellen

Replies

• rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't have any real diet advice on this, but I had my gallbladder removed probably 10 years ago. Ever since then, I have not been able to drink milk or eat a lot of cheese. It makes me ill.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing to do is let Nutrisystem know that your dietary needs have changed. They have many different menus for different specific lifestyles (or so I've seen on their ads) and they might be able to help you with a lower fat diet.

Other than that, you can google gall bladder diets and I'm sure you'll find an acceptable link. Good luck to you!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor offer any advice?

I'm afraid I don't have much advice - just to watch out for what the fat has been replaced with in foods advertised as low fat - it's usually sugar, or lots of artificial rubbish. Best (if you can), to follow a low fat diet of "proper" food (ie fresh, self-prepared etc), instead of things marketed at people that read the top of the packet and never the back!
  • busymamaof4
    busymamaof4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed in December and was not told anything like that :( I wonder if my doctor neglected to inform me of such things. I, however, have had no problems with eating since its removal. I know that everyone's different though. Best of luck to you!
  • ajsimyan
    ajsimyan Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    First off, YUCK! I had my Gall Bladder out a few years ago and it was very painful, all that air they pump you with. Honestly for me, i have never liked alot of fat in my food anyhow, I dont eat at fast food chains. I eat alot of home cooked fish and chicken. Veggies and fruits are always on my list. But I have never had a problem eating high fat things either. The only things i notice is constipation. Just get plenty of rest for now and while you are resting make a list on what you used to eat before the surgery and then what you can buy and make that is healthier than what you used to eat. this site is wonderful for that.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I CAN'T HELP YOU ON THE FOOD, BUT THERE ARE SO MANY MEDICAL SITES YOU CAN GO TO FOR ADVICE. I WILL TELL YOU, I HAD MY GALLBLADDER OUT 8 YEARS AGO, AND WHEN YOU DON'T EAT RIGHT, IT'S LIKE NEVER HAVING YOUR GALLBLADDER OUT AT ALL, VERY BAD,VERY PAINFUL. SO, FIND THE RIGHT DIET, IT WILL BE WORTH THE SACRIFICE. GOOD LUCK.
  • lpm3925
    lpm3925 Posts: 39
    Options
    I had mine out a couple years ago. Honestly I ate light for a couple of weeks then went back to my old eating habits (shame on me!). Let’s just say after eating like that me having to be near a bathroom within an hour was very real. I wouldn’t stress too much. Right now you need to be getting some rest not surfing the web! But really I wouldn’t focus on a “diet”. Make it better eating. I personally now keep my fat under 50 grams per day, and my digestive issues are gone. That being said it’ll take about a year for your body to get use to not having a gallbladder. And to answer your question I think Nutrisystem is probably fine. I don’t know the fat content, but would image a meal has no more than 15-20 grams if that.
  • Dee1006
    Dee1006 Posts: 37
    Options
    I had mine out a few years ago and what it really comes down to is stay away from fast food and balance is the key for everything like red meat and dairy products. As you eat day by day your body will tell you what it does not want so listen up! :) for me too much red meat in a short span of time bothers me as well as too much dairy in one day. Good Luck!!!!
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    I pretty much follow the American Heart Association diet : http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Healthy-Diet-Goals_UCM_310436_SubHomePage.jsp

It is basically a low-fat, low sodium diet that is pretty easy to maintain once you get used to it. It's something that you can do for a lifetime instead of just for a short period of time to just lose weight. I'm not sure if the "low-fat" is low enough for gall bladder issues but there are plenty of cookbooks out there that follow the same principles. Good luck!
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 11 years ago and had a big problem right at first with things really bothering my stomach (like having to get up while eating and go to the bathroom) but it has gotten better over time. I was never instructed to have a different diet..
  • momof26
    momof26 Posts: 83
    Options
    I have no advice. :( Hope you recover well!!!
  • scottzortea
    Options
    This is the site I hang out on still have my gallbladder but have a 9in scare on my chest.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/index.html

Lots and lots of good stuff.

this is a good one as well
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    I had my Gall bladder out a year and a half ago, and it never affected my digestive system. I was able to keep eating as I always had. I think as a general rule, though, you will want to stay away from fatty foods, like fast food. But then, even WITH your Gall bladder you should probably do that anyway.
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law has gall bladder issue's and she is very careful with what she eats. The only cheese she eats is feta, try's to stick with lean meats like chicken, turkey, etc.., she only buys food that is under 7g grams of fat, she try's to stay around 3.5g of fat per serving and never goes any higher then the 7g's of fat per serving, she has cut milk out of her diet, no spicy foods, those are some of the things that I can think of off the top of my head, hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon!!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed in December and was not told anything like that :( I wonder if my doctor neglected to inform me of such things. I, however, have had no problems with eating since its removal. I know that everyone's different though. Best of luck to you!

I wasn't told anything like that at all...and I have not had one problem with what I eat. Like one poster said...the air they pump in you to do the surgery is dreadful (it's to separate your organs), but other than that...I had my surgery on Thursday and was back to work on Monday (laproscopic (sp?)).
  • oboegirl
    oboegirl Posts: 22
    Options
    Had my gallbladder out 2 years ago. I couldn't even SMELL fried food without throwing up. I lost a ton of weight! lol. Just look at the labels on everything you eat. You'll save yourself a lot of anguish.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Gall bladder surgery and the after effects are just like everything else, it varies from person to person. My neighbor had his out and can't eat anything with fat in it or he's making a mad dash to the bathroom. I on the other hand can eat anything and not have any effects whatsoever. I do a reduced carb style of eating which means higher protein and higher fat and never have issues. Let your body heal and then eat carefully until you know how yours will respond. We need healthy fats in our diets so don't try to cut it all out, just be careful until you know how your body will handle it post surgery.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a few weeks of easily digested foods and re introduce the dairy and red meats and healthy fats slowly. I never had any issues from eatting any foods after I had mine out.
  • ImaLadyBiker
    Options
    I just had mine done last month. My surgeon described bile as soap to dissolve grease. Without the gallbladder, it just trickles out of the liver. You eat a very greasy meal, you may or may not have some, eh hem, unpleasant side effects. But I look at my gallbladder problems as the start of my new lifestyle. Since having my severe gallbladder attack, January 16th I cleaned up my eating. I have lost 40 pounds. My health is much, much improved. My blood work has my doctor thrilled. Instead of seeing what I *CAN* eat without my gallbladder, I continue on a healthy diet of lean meat, vegetables, no added fats. Maybe when I reach my goal weight, I'll become more adventurous in adding fatty foods, but I doubt it. Thanks to MFP and my gallbladder, I am half way to my goal.

By the way, I eat healthy fats (EVOO, avacado, flax seed oil) in small quantities and have had no ill effects.

My best to you!
  • Ellen119
    Ellen119 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all who responded. Lots of good advice. I am also seeing this as a start to a new healthier lifestyle. I need to lose a good amount of weight anyway. I will keep you all posted :)