weighing foods???

Options
ok...so when i am preparing for dinner...i never know what the calories represent! like 4oz of chicken = 110 calories...is this 4 oz of cooked chicken or raw chicken? Also...for pasta...should i be measuring before or after its cooked?

Replies

• Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I want in on this feed because I would like to know too.
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Meat is 4oz raw. Pasta is before cooking.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Meat is generally raw and pasta/rice is pre-cooked. Be careful when you go to log foods that use ounces...are they talking about weight or volume?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Put your recipe in create a recipe in foods and it will tell you all the info you need and you can save it for next time.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Raw meat
    Uncooked Pasta & Rice (remember they double their size/quantity. Although some pasta just seems so minuscule I usually can't eat 2oz of rigatoni it's like 5 noodles lol)
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The source of the calorie info should tell you whether it is cooked or raw measurement as well. If not noted, it is likely raw.
  • daydreamer_28
    daydreamer_28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have found on here that 4 oz is raw and not sure about pasta, but on the package for pasta it says dry, just like rice. I am so used to measuring my food in grams, I sometime forget to switch my scale from grams to oz.

Before I started using this I used Calorie King, http://www.calorieking.com/, which I still use to look up food that is not on here, but they have an option on there that says 4oz raw or 4 oz cooked. It is a great reference site for stuff that is not on here.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Contrary to what others have said, my nutritionist says weigh food in the state you are going to eat it. If you eat it raw - measure it raw, if you eat it cooked measure it cooked. The exception is pasta/rice - always measure it dry - depending how long you cook it, it will absorb more water and won't give you an accurate measurement.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    What I'm about to say may sound confusing but if you are not used to cooking, getting a "grip" on serving sizes, portions, weights, measures...will seem difficult. I have found that people who were not brought up doing some cooking have a more difficult time because they eat out so much and are now needing to prepare food at home to get/live healthy. BUT it IS DOABLE!

Usually the Packaging Directions will tell you. However, it is important to know when something is by WEIGHT or Volume. Usually DRY ingredients are by Weight, liquids are by volume (put in a measuring cup, but there are measuring cups for Dry ingredients and wet ingredients. ) It can get confusing, say like with Spaghetti (a serving is 2 oz DRY (weigh), but 1/2 Cup Cooked, weigh it DRY.) The same with meat (weigh it, deal with it Raw and count the calories of the add ons)...

I go to nutritiondata.com for all of My core information, then I transpose it here and in My cooking or recipes. You will then eventually learn the calories and serving size of something almost intuitively. Remember, a serving size is basically what YOU want to eat, packaging is telling you the nutritional info for a particular portion (you can increase it or decrease it.)