Carb counting VS Calorie Counting..

Options
I love this site. I find it very easy to use for myself and family. I do have some friends that are starting something new and have asked me to try it but not so sure about it.
They will be eating zero carbs sun-fri and then saturday is their splurge day for carbs. I do love my carbs but even counting my cals I haven't even cooked any pasta which I love bc I'm scared of going over my cals. I buy alot of the smart ones meals etc but it's not practical and I need to be able to cook a healthy meal that my whole family will love. I guess I'm just not sure of the whole carb counting thing. I'm not a big meat person and I know that's pretty much all you'll be eating. My sister in law told me that you need to have carbs in your diet though. I know I probably haven't made any sense but just wondering what you guys thought of this. I have had two bad weeks back to back and I'm willing to try whatever it takes to get this weight off. You just hear so many different things so not sure which way is the best way to go:-) Thanks so much!!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Both are important. It's all about balance.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You need carbs in your diet. Even the Atkins plan has you eating some carbs (mostly from green vegetables) every day at the beginning and then increasing them as time goes on. Everything except pure meat has some carbs in it. And eating too much meat and nothing else is actually toxic for your liver and kidneys. It's called "protein poisoning" or "rabbit starvation", you can look it up.

If you want to eat less carbs, you can adjust your goals in MFP to the percentage of carbs you'd like to eat every day. I'd recommend at least 25 g a day from vegetables at the very, very minimum.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are going towards a life-long goal of a healthy lifestyle, it is all about balance. You can use carbs to manipulate your body to looking a certain way, but it won't be permanent. I wouldn't suggest it, I would say to eat your balanced meal and you will be better off in the long run!
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    carbs are important in fueling your body. it really is all about finding a balance. the important thing to remember is that this is not a "diet," it's a lifestyle change. unfortunately, when your friend goes back to eating carbs regularly they will probably gain that weight back.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil. You need them to fuel your body and work outs. And if you gave up carbs, that pretty much includes fruit too.

I have a good realtionship with carbs. I just make sure they're the "right" carbs. Fruit, whole grains, even white rice and potatos on occasion.

You might want to lower the amount of carbs in your setting, but don't give them up completely.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Carbs are in almost everything, even your fruit! It's def all about balance. You can eat pasta but you need to learn to portion control. Eating smaller amounts more often is the day is good. Try pasta without the sauce but maybe a little bit of oil and then add some seafood to it that is cooked in citrus like lemon juice and lime juice or have it raw. Ceviche is very filling and still healthy.
  • MissNoDoubt
    Options
    I did the Atkins diet after Brenten was born and I lost all my baby weight from him and Braden both, QUICK. It is hard to stick to but once your body gets used to it, you adapt. I would allow myself 20 carbs a day for the first two weeks then add in good carbs, Ya know? I do love bread though and rolls.. and mashed potatoes.... yeah. I like carbs. I actually was going to start back on it yesterday but decided to give the low calorie way one more chance. If not then I will be on the low carb diet as well. Good luck to ya. :wink:
  • MissNoDoubt
    Options
    I did the Atkins diet after Brenten was born and I lost all my baby weight from him and Braden both, QUICK. It is hard to stick to but once your body gets used to it, you adapt. I would allow myself 20 carbs a day for the first two weeks then add in good carbs, Ya know? I do love bread though and rolls.. and mashed potatoes.... yeah. I like carbs. I actually was going to start back on it yesterday but decided to give the low calorie way one more chance. If not then I will be on the low carb diet as well. Good luck to ya. :wink:
  • Allison4C
    Allison4C Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Check out this New Englad Journal of Medicine article: Comparison of Weight-Loss Diets with Different Compositions of Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748

Results: Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.
  • smithke79
    Options
    My Dad and Step mom did a similiar plan through a hospital, something like Atkins. He lost about 80 pounds in a little less than a year. He went on to eating normally/counting calories and has gained over half back in 6 months. Counting calories maybe slower in weight loss but I think its an easier life style change for a permenant change.
  • jmjones2002
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I know the calorie counting seems to be going very slow for me, but in the end I know I'll be healthier! It's just so easy to get discouraged with trying to adapt to a new lifestlye. I'm trying to have patience:-) Thanks again for all the responses!! Be Blessed..