How to burn the calories while at work?

Options
I work in a bookstore the majority of the week and it's pretty sedentary if I'm not stacking shelves, managing my inventory or servicing customers.

I try my best to incorporate the little things like standing instead of sitting and lifting heavier things, ect ect, but I don't know what else I can do to avoid sitting on my butt all day, while I see all the amazing amounts of calories my friends are burning!

I know I do the back leg lifts while I reply to my emails and sometimes squats, but if you're willing to share what you guys do at work to burn off extra calories, I'd appreciate it tons! :happy:
Angie

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch break. 2-3 miles at a quick pace, unless it's too warm outside.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like you are doing the most you possibly can while at work. I'd love to have one of these "mini desk bikes" at my desk.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Exercise-Bike/dp/B0000X0XJU

I too have a sedentary job (law firm).
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch break. 2-3 miles at a quick pace, unless it's too warm outside.

I walk on my lunches approx 45 minutes everyday.
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water at work which in turn makes me require the toilet which is 5 flights of stairs down. I try to make a point of briskly walking/slight run all the way back up. I must go about once an hour..lol
  • tiffanygarrett
    Options
    I also walk on my break at work. I have a smart phone and downloaded a cardo tracker and it gps's my location counts my steps, and allows me to listen at music while I am walking...it is a good way to releave stress at work and normally I burn a quick 60-100 calories. Hopet his helps and good luck....
  • nmterp
    nmterp Posts: 74
    Options
    I park as far away from the building as possible. I've also banned myself from using elevators and only take the stairs. I walk or go up and down the stairs on my lunch as well as my OSHA mandated breaks. Also, if you have a desk or work station, why not keep a free weight in the drawer and do some strength training during the slow times. Finally, can you switch out your desk chair for a ball? That would force you to engage your core and balance as you sit. Good luck!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like you are doing the most you possibly can while at work. I'd love to have one of these "mini desk bikes" at my desk.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Exercise-Bike/dp/B0000X0XJU

I too have a sedentary job (law firm).
    Yeah.. I love my job, but staring at the computer screen drives me nuts when I want to do nothing but work out. I DID find this pretty cool workout machine that's actually small enough to hide it behind my desk.. lol.
    Its called the Stamina InStride Electronic Stepper!
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    I drink a lot of water at work which in turn makes me require the toilet which is 5 flights of stairs down. I try to make a point of briskly walking/slight run all the way back up. I must go about once an hour..lol
    Lucky! I drink tons of water at work too, but the bathrooms' right across the hall. :(
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I do random prison workout routines in my office during downtime. It involves a small circuit of burpees, knee thrusts, tricep dips, various ab routines, squats, and lunges. If you can, you could bring in a resistance band for light strength/resistance training for back, bicep, and shoulder routines. I perform these just short of producing a hard sweat. But that's most likely to be done at your own discretion given the kind of privacy you have from working in a bookstore. :tongue:
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I sit all day too. It depends what your building is like but I;
    *Walk on my lunch for 30-45 minutes. Sometimes I can only squeeze in 10 minute intervals but it breaks up the day and keeps me focused
    *every hour I go up and down the stairs at least once ( I work on the 3rd floor)
    *I brought in some weights so i do arm exercises when no one is looking :)
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    I sit all day too. It depends what your building is like but I;
    *Walk on my lunch for 30-45 minutes. Sometimes I can only squeeze in 10 minute intervals but it breaks up the day and keeps me focused
    *every hour I go up and down the stairs at least once ( I work on the 3rd floor)
    *I brought in some weights so i do arm exercises when no one is looking :)
    I have an hour for lunch, so I'm going to try and walk around the whole building and see how much distance I can get. :) I wish I had flights of stairs to use, though. We only have the ground floor. :/
  • Pande
    Pande Posts: 33
    Options
    Do some stretches! http://www.womenfitness.net/top10_everyday_stretches.htm
    Get a hand gripper, you can work out your fore-arms with one of those at least.
    Walk around the store when you have the chance.

Standing does burn more calories. At work I do nothing but stand for 8 hours straight ringing people's orders making drinks, grabbing their food, stocking etc.

You can burn about 100 calories an hour standing.
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I walk at lunch too...45 minutes. I do leg lifts/crunches at my desk and I pee a lot, but the restroom is 10 feet away!