Ayurveda Basic Rules

Options
Stress will lead your body to hold on to fat and it goes start to your intestines. The body has 22 feet of intestines. Now the small intestine contains 7 million villi, tiny, finger –like projections that protrude from cells lining that intestinal wall. Their job is to increase the surface area of the intestine in order to facilitate the absorption of nutrients from food as its being shuttled through the digestive system. Nutrients travel through the villi and get swept up into the bloodstream. Point being, when eating junk food, you create a thick, gooey mucus layer inside the wall and your body doesn’t get the proper nutrients in the blood stream (which causes unnecessary hunger & cravings) & your body can’t digest the waste regularly & properly.

There are 10 Ayurvedic rules but you only have to follow 8 of them.
1) Avoid leftovers: train your taste buds to prefer fresh over fast. ( Although I don’t like to waste food, so personally, I don’t follow this rule)
2) Don’t eat standing up: your digestive system needs to be relaxed in order to work properly
3) Don’t eat while occupied: (this one is hard but try it for at least one meal a day) if you eat alone or in silence without reading or watching TV. You’re more focused on what you eat so you’ll know when you’re full and stop overeating.
4) Avoid cold drinks: (it’s a popular fitness myth to think your body had to work harder to process cold water and you therefore burn more calories. Cold water is harder for the body to consume which makes it a stressor. ) Sip warm or hot water/tea with each meal. Both to stay hydrated and to comfort a hardworking digestive system.
5) Eat until you are satisfied: stop eating when you’re stomach is about three-quarters full. You’ll recognize the feeling if you pay attention.
6) Walk: if you can take a short walk after dinner, you’ll feel better, and your food will be absorbed and digested more efficiently.
7) Eat three meals a day: skipping meals signals to your body that it may be in danger of missing its food supply. Stave off fat storage by satisfying your body’s nutritional and caloric need threes times a day. No snacking throughout the day, it doesn’t give your digestive system time to break down the process and work properly which causes bloating & cravings. The time between the meals gives the body time to digest what you have eaten earlier properly and consumed the nutrients needed. IMPORTANT: 2 HUGE MEALS: BREAKFAST/LUNCH, SOMETHING SMALL LIGHT FOR DINNER W. DESSERT BEFORE 7PM
8) Eat local, fresh & organic foods.

Replies

• arezou_vancouver
    arezou_vancouver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post Christina.
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    love the post !!! <3
  • vaavamom1
    Options
    Stress will lead your body to hold on to fat and it goes start to your intestines. The body has 22 feet of intestines. Now the small intestine contains 7 million villi, tiny, finger –like projections that protrude from cells lining that intestinal wall. Their job is to increase the surface area of the intestine in order to facilitate the absorption of nutrients from food as its being shuttled through the digestive system. Nutrients travel through the villi and get swept up into the bloodstream. Point being, when eating junk food, you create a thick, gooey mucus layer inside the wall and your body doesn’t get the proper nutrients in the blood stream (which causes unnecessary hunger & cravings) & your body can’t digest the waste regularly & properly.

There are 10 Ayurvedic rules but you only have to follow 8 of them.
    1) Avoid leftovers: train your taste buds to prefer fresh over fast. ( Although I don’t like to waste food, so personally, I don’t follow this rule)
    2) Don’t eat standing up: your digestive system needs to be relaxed in order to work properly
    3) Don’t eat while occupied: (this one is hard but try it for at least one meal a day) if you eat alone or in silence without reading or watching TV. You’re more focused on what you eat so you’ll know when you’re full and stop overeating.
    4) Avoid cold drinks: (it’s a popular fitness myth to think your body had to work harder to process cold water and you therefore burn more calories. Cold water is harder for the body to consume which makes it a stressor. ) Sip warm or hot water/tea with each meal. Both to stay hydrated and to comfort a hardworking digestive system.
    5) Eat until you are satisfied: stop eating when you’re stomach is about three-quarters full. You’ll recognize the feeling if you pay attention.
    6) Walk: if you can take a short walk after dinner, you’ll feel better, and your food will be absorbed and digested more efficiently.
    7) Eat three meals a day: skipping meals signals to your body that it may be in danger of missing its food supply. Stave off fat storage by satisfying your body’s nutritional and caloric need threes times a day. No snacking throughout the day, it doesn’t give your digestive system time to break down the process and work properly which causes bloating & cravings. The time between the meals gives the body time to digest what you have eaten earlier properly and consumed the nutrients needed. IMPORTANT: 2 HUGE MEALS: BREAKFAST/LUNCH, SOMETHING SMALL LIGHT FOR DINNER W. DESSERT BEFORE 7PM
    8) Eat local, fresh & organic foods.
    since u do yoga ...can u enlighten me on something ... can u tell me how much calorie is burned doing one round of suryanamaskar? i think it is 13.9cals ... what do u think ?
  • mxtinaj
    mxtinaj Posts: 36
    Options
    For: vaavamom

That is correct! :)

It's all estimation though...it's best to use a HRM
  • vaavamom1
    Options
    For: vaavamom

That is correct! :)

It's all estimation though...it's best to use a HRM
    thanx :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I didn't agree with a couple of those.

Why no leftovers? I don't see a point in wasting food.

And why only 3 meals a day? I've been doing 6-8 meals a day and that works fine. I have trouble eating 1000 calories in a sitting.
  • mxtinaj
    mxtinaj Posts: 36
    Options
    You don't have to agree with any of them and I didn't post the topic to change anyone's lifestyle. It' s a holistic approach that I wanted to share.

Ayurveda practices sees leftovers as something a part of the past and we only want to see the present and future. Like I previously stated, I don't believe in wasting food, so I don't follow that rule.

As for 3 full meals, your body needs to have time to digest the food you eat, so having that 2-3 hours difference in meals helps break down the nutrients you need and rids any other toxins and waste. Again I'm not trying to change anyone's eating habits just simply sharing.