Frustrated! :|

Options
So I've been trying since the beginning of the year to get in shape and lose weight.. I lost a few pounds then gained them back. I count calories, run roughly 4.5 miles everyday... Idk what else to do. I'm just kind of stuck where I'm at. I'm not that over weight (at 130 right night just need to lose 10-15 pounds). I have lost inches here and there and they have stayed away but I want that number on the scale to be smaller too. I know that the less you weigh, the harder it is to lose pounds but still.. I've been at this for 4 months now - I'd like to see some consistency and results. I'm not usually a whiner but I just want all this hard work to pay off now! lol
I guess my self esteem is a little better - I just wish I would see the results in the mirror.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments on anything I could do differently? Its greatly appreciated!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    if your losing inches then your losing body fat and the scale is probably not moving because your gaining muscle. Either way, your being healthy :)
  • crazyfob07
    Options
    Inches mean you gained muscle while losing body fat%, which is a very good thing, at a point you stop worrying about the weight but focus on the measurements. Also what is your current diet you are using, and workout regiment, with this information I can see what you are doing and make recommendations based what what I learned and read.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I checked out your dairy and I think it was April 9th that you wanted to start over because you gained the 5lbs back? It's only been 5 days...I would give your body more time to adjust.

Also, up your water intake on a daily basis. I noticed it was sporadic, try to keep it level instead of getting 4 cups one day and none the next and then 7 the next. Try to aim for similar levels.

I would also say try integrating more fresh fruit/veg if you can. An apple and water as a snack really keeps you full for a good amount of time.

Are you measuring everything you eat? Or guessing? That might be something to look into also.
  • slc4774
    slc4774 Posts: 4
    Options
    If you're that active and have lost inches, you've probably gained weight in muscle mass. Who care what the scale says if you're feeling good. If you want to loose weight though, I'd change up the exercise, still run but add something new a couple of time a week.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body has completely gotten used to your current routine and it's time to shake things up a bit. Keep in mind I'm just stating facts here, there is no judgment being made on my part. You are looking for change, so I'll offer some opportunities:

You're staying near your calorie goals, or are pretty far underneath, depending on the day. You undereat for breakfast and then have a really large lunch or dinner. You should think about reversing that. Breakfast is important. If you're like me, and can't eat a lot first thing in the morning, eat something else small about 2 hours later.

I'm noticing a huge gap where your fruits and veggies should be. Try to incorporate more of both into your diet. USDA recommendations are 5 servings each day.

You eat out a lot (Subway, Taco Bell, etc.) and while Subway can be a good choice, the one day you ate there this week, your sandwich was 780 calories. Try to pack a lunch. When I stopped eating Lean Cuisines for lunch, I was amazed how much more food (mostly veggies, salad, etc.) I could eat for the same amount of calories.

You've skipped a few meals here and there which is bad for your metabolism. Make sure you are eating something for each meal, just to keep your metabolism revving along. You might also look at upping your water intake. Most days you're at 3-4 glasses.

You might also try changing up your workout routine. Instead of just running, add in some strength training, or do a different form of cardio for awhile. I hope this helps!
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    Also, up your water intake on a daily basis. I noticed it was sporadic, try to keep it level instead of getting 4 cups one day and none the next and then 7 the next. Try to aim for similar levels.

I agree, or try to at least aim for 65/70 ounces of water a day. I find that eating snacks (reasonable ones) frequently keeps me full longer. Instead of waiting until breakfast, lunch, and dinner times. Also, keeping the fat and sodium in check inclines me to make different food choices.
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    not trying to be mean but this might sound mean so be warned. First, stop eating out ever day basically, its not the calories that are getting you, its the other crap in all that stuff, taco johns, taco bell, quiznos, subway, four days in a row. stop it. second, start drinking at least 4-6 cups of water per day. third, start eating more for breakfast, not a cup of tea and a nutrigrain bar. that's just starting your day off worse. You'll be hungry again 2 hours later and make things worse. Have a bowl of oatmeal (real oatmeal) not that mixed flavored stuff and add some protein powder to it. Every Day! Breakfast is so important and while I commend for eating something, which is far better than nothing, you're basically teasing your body by having tea and a nutrigain bar (or any type of bar). Four, start mixing up your workout routine. Don't just hop on the treadmill and run. Mix in some weight training 3 days a week and rotate between that and running, switch to the stair master for cardio, or use a bike, or an elliptical. Anything to work different muscle groups will be better. I know fast food is convenient and I'll admit I splurged and had culvers last night but I had chicken tenders and mashed potatoes, no soda, and it was the first time in almost three weeks that I've "slipped up". Save those things for when you really want them. It's ok once in awhile but it shouldn't be a regular thing. Plus they taste way better when you go 3 weeks without them. If you want to spend less time cooking at night or for lunch designate one or two days a week as your cooking night. Cook up all your protein (chicken, turkey, etc) then put it in the fridge so you can reheat it quickly for meals when you need it. Simple right?

/end rant

edit: it's also widely agreed upon that the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose. If you want them gone you've got to work hard and want it that much more. You might have had to lose the first 10 so its harder for you to find results but keep that in mind while you're working out, or waiting in the taco bell drive thru.
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm a college student living in the dorms. Its super hard to cook food - no space to store food, the "community kitchen" is hard to cook in because the stove/oven is so outdated, doesnt work half the time and is usually full of people baking cookies. lol The eating out part - quiznos for example - is what is offered here at the campus food court, along with a few other places (Wok, Cranberry Farms, Grill works etc.). I live in a small room that I share with another person further limiting my space to store and keep food and utensils to cook with. I'm not making excuses but explaining why I can't cook and prepare my own meals most of the time. If I had access to storage and a working kitchen I would cook all the time - I love cooking and baking.
    As for the running I run outside all around campus (hills too). I used to go to the rec center to do weights but its been so nice out that I want to enjoy it while i can. There isn't really anything stopping me from going there at least a few times a week to do weights, so that is one thing i could change. I drink a ton of water a day - I don't do soda anymore, I just forget to use that little water counter in my diary.
    And I should eat a better breakfast - I wake up, eat a granola bar and go to class, but then after class I run. So I'd rather not be full and workout. Plus I read a health magazine that you should workout before you eat breakfast... And its super difficult to add fruits and vegetables to my diet when the campus food store (The Station) has a limited variety or price gouges like no other. I could go to Walmart but that leads me back to the lack of space and where to store it.

Thanks everyone for your advice and input!
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    all duly noted. I would still go for breakfast. I used to sleep in and skip it. Now I'll never go back. While you're right about not working out on a full stomach, its worse to work out on an empty stomach. You're energy will plumet and you won't be able to go to your max potential. You should be eating a small meal of good carbs and protein about 2 hours before you work out. then taking in more protein after a workout. Since you're having trouble accessing better food I would definetly pick up some protein powder and mix up a shake to take part of before you workout and part of after. Doesn't your school have a healthier place to eat? Those places sound horrible. I feel your pain on that part. On a positive note, aren't you out of the dorms in about 4 weeks?
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    That is true. Breakfast is super important. and working out on an empty stomach is no good - which is why i eat a granola bar. then have a small breakfast snack after I run. But I should get some better breakfast options in there as well. And I'll look into protein powder: its not going to make me buff is it? lol I don't want big muscles.
    And they have prepared salad containers: I usually eat them once a day (I forget to add them to the diary as I'm new to the writing down what I eat and stuff) and they also have a salad bar - Both of which are kind of expensive (a packaged "side salad" is close to $3 not including a dressing). They also have a place that just opened up : Good4U. and all those foods sound so good but they never seem to be open when I have a lunch or dinner break.
    I'm actually out of the dorms in 2 weeks :) This summer i am staying with a friend at her apartment for the summer - So yay full sized fridge and all the kitchen utensils I can handle!
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    I would just make do for two weeks then. The protein powder will not make "buff" lol unless you want to be. It will just help feed your muscles. More muscles burn more calories. When strength training you'll want to focus on moderate weight and 10-12 reps in sets of 3 or 4. Using less weight in higher rep counts per set will focus on tone/definition and get in shape without getting as big as the other option. If you want bigger muscles then you should do 8-10 reps and more weight so that the last rep is pretty difficult. The protein will help in recovery from your running and weight lifting by feeding your muscles what they want. I wouldn't use it as a meal replacement. If you're going to be working hard make sure you use the food and exercise diary to their potential. Put in all your food and water, enter your exercise and eat all or most of your exercise calories every day. It sounds weird to eat more when you're trying to lose but if you eat too little while working out hard your body will go into starvation mode and eat your muscles and store any fat you eat. You want to eat your calorie requirements but watch the other categories as well. Go into your settings and add sugar to your food diary page and watch that. You should also add saturated fat. While sugar isn't necessarily bad you need to watch. Saturated fat it. You'd be surprised how much better you diet gets if you start watching the right categories. You should also enter your workout in the morning before you do it. There's two reasons for this. One, it'll help you plan for how much food you need for the day. Two, it'll motivate you to do it. I know the last two weeks of school can be tough so just focus on the big picture. Eating a good breakfast, not eating as much crap, and getting good sleep. Once school is over or you're out of the dorms in two weeks you can add more to it when its easier. If you try to add some things now while they're very difficult or inconvenient it could be hard to stick with them and then discourage you. Remember, its a lifestyle change, not a temporary solution.

I probably need to think about paragraphs. Sorry if that's too much.