Should I wait to strength train?

Options
Hi everyone,

My partner-in-crime (sister) and I have been debating the idea of strength training while needing to lose quite a few pounds. Is it better to simply do cardio until I am closer to my goal, or should I continue to strength train, which will just replace the fat with muscle, and has been know to slow my weight loss in the past? I've researched, but all the articles kind of contridict each other.

Replies

• T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    i started strenght training mid weight loss, and stopped losing weight, but startedl osing inches, so I decided to stop and wait until I hit my goal.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you to exercise and enjoy it!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Strength train.
    You don't want to lose weight without strength training, otherwise you could be losing muscle.

I also had an easier time losing weight while lifting weights.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Weight training should start as soon as you're ready to do it. Yes, cardio helps with fat loss by burning calories. But so does having more lean muscle. Doing the both cardio and strength training in conjunction with a healthy diet, is the absolute best way to lose weight and inches.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    cardio is great for short term burn, weight training is great for long term burn (effects last longer after workouts) but instead of separating them combine them into a metabolic resistance type workout like kettlebells, of if you do not have access to them use dumbbells in place of them just modify the workout to use them like I do. The effects last up to 48 hours post workout and it is a very time effective workout with great results.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    you can do strength training, in fact i recommend it. there is nothing wrong with increasing your strength, and as long as you are still under your calorie goal you will continue to lose weight.

however, strength training will make you hungry, so it'll be tougher to not eat more. but if you stick to your guns, keep eating under your maintenance calorie goal, and keep exercising (cardio and strength training) then you will continue to lose weight.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Always strength train. And you don't have to overdo it. Strength training helps you burn calories WHILE you sit on the couch doing nothing. Also, women lose muscle as they age (which equals more fat stored!) so strength training in your 30s, 40s, 50s is super important. Also alternate which muscle groups you work. Don't do the same thing every single day, you need time to recover.

My suggestion is to use Kettle bell weights--you can burn lots of calories!
  • jennlloyd
    jennlloyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Strength training actually helps your metabolism so you burn more calories. At first you may stop losing or even gain weight, but your body gets more used to the strength training you should start burning fat and calories better than before.
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    I would think you should strength train twice a week but don't do heavy weights and more reps....it will get you toned and not bulky. I have just started working out and have a loooonnng way to go but i'm going to start doing a few of the gym machines for my arms and legs.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you to exercise and enjoy it!

Yep. This.
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    Weight training should start as soon as you're ready to do it. Yes, cardio helps with fat loss by burning calories. But so does having more lean muscle. Doing the both cardio and strength training in conjunction with a healthy diet, is the absolute best way to lose weight and inches.

I second this - best way to get in shape. combination of all three.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My partner-in-crime (sister) and I have been debating the idea of strength training while needing to lose quite a few pounds. Is it better to simply do cardio until I am closer to my goal, or should I continue to strength train, which will just replace the fat with muscle, and has been know to slow my weight loss in the past? I've researched, but all the articles kind of contridict each other.

I would recommend mixing in strength training each week. I started out with the same mindset as you and mainly did cardio and I did lose a lot of weight with it. However, as I got closer to my goal weight I started burning up a lot of lean body mass instead of fat. If I would have started strength training sooner, i likely would not have lost so much muscle.

One thing to note as you start to strength train is that you will likely gain a pound or two. Don't worry about it, it's just your body adapting to the new exercise. We tend to retain a little water as the body tries to heal itself from newly introduced exercises. It should only take a week or two for your body to adjust to it.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I strength train several days a week and try to focus more on how I feel/how my clothes fit and less on the # on the scale. I haven't seen the # go down in awhile, but some of my shirts now fit WAAAY better than in the past.

Here's an example of my workout (this is what works for me):

1. Warm up 5-10 min
    2. Strength Training 15-20 min - Push-ups, weights, plank, jack knives, resistance bands, squats w/ weights, etc...
    3. Cardio - 30 minutes (minimum)

I will increase my cardio depending on how i feel that day and if I have to do homework help w/ my daughter. :) My total workout is about an hour (roughly).

Plus I read somewhere if you do your strength training before cardio you burn more fat....not sure if that's 100% accurate, but it works for me. As long as I'm losing inches OR pounds, I'm happy! :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I would think you should strength train twice a week but don't do heavy weights and more reps....it will get you toned and not bulky. I have just started working out and have a loooonnng way to go but i'm going to start doing a few of the gym machines for my arms and legs.

I thought women didn't bulk up, I mean unless they are taking steriods? lol

I try to challenge myself w/ weights. I want to be strong AND lean and I have never bulked up when I've gotten to a point where I'm lifting heavier weights or doing lots of reps....
  • michelleputnam
    Options
    Thanks everyone, so much! I think I'll stick with what I'm doing (4 days cardio, 2 days strength), and if the weight loss slows down, so be it. In the long run I'll be thankful I didn't quit.