How do you deal with depression?

Options
I need some help. Generally I'm a pretty happy/content person but I'm going through a very emotional time right now and am afraid it's going to affect my weight loss progress. I'm almost to 25 lbs lost and still have a long way to go and don't want to hinder that. I'm not an emotional eater, but all I really feel like doing is sleeping or crying...neither of which burn very many calories. Anyone else been there that can give me some pointers?

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Find someone to talk to. Start with a friend or family... and if you're not comfortable, seek a professional. People tend to view this kind of "advice" negatively - don't! From an MFP perspective, its great that you don't emotionally-eat, but at the same time, you need mental health too. Don't neglect it.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    you should see a doctor so they can really see what is going on, and maybe even give you medication until your better. don't know how much MFP is gonna help..
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    (1) Get out and get moving -- a walk, a bike ride, a swim
    (2) Do something for someone else -- anyone else
    (3) Sing
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This is something I have to deal with on a daily basis. I have really caring doctors, and they monitor my health closely.

Here's what I do:
    -get 8-9 hours/sleep per night
    -get exercise every day--even if it's a half hour walk
    -take classes at the gym with teachers I love
    -eat lots of fruits, veggies, organic food
    -cook most of your own meals
    **form a group of 4 close friends. Meet once/month to talk about 'Celebrations & Challenges'
    *medication if your doctor determines that you need it (don't be afraid to talk to your doctor)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I really don't have any useful advice. If it was me, I'd go for a really long, hard (endorphin kicking in) run and then have a good cry.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • moxiemoe
    moxiemoe Posts: 6
    Options
    Congrats on the major weight loss.

I get depression, for a long time now. I eat differently when I notice more severe symptoms. I'm vegetarian now, but when I get major depression I eat fish due to the Omega 3 factor.

Fill up on good carbs too as they help with serotonin. I don't like exercise when depressed but I find low impact aerobics or walking can improve mood. It's extremely hard to get motivated though, I sympathize.

I don't eat when depressed. When I'm happier I tend to eat more.

I think if I'd avoid sugar too as that can cause mood swings.
  • gwendolynnwurm
    Options
    Sounds like you are just going through a little bit of a rough patch. One thing that I try to do when I am feeling good is to take a moment and remember how it feels to be happy, then when I am feeling down I reference that moment and know that I will not feel this way forever and I can be happy.

Remember that you are on a long journey towards a healthy life that can not be obtained over night, if you are feeling frustrated or overwhelmed by the fact that you have a long way to go, take a day off and relax. Try not to think about your weight or weight loss for one day and get the rest that you need. If all you feel like doing is sleeping or crying, than your body is telling you that you need to sleep and cry, basically you need to rest. The best cure for me when I feel emotional is to sleep it off. Drink some sleepy tea and get a full nights sleep, when you wake up and feel refreshed you outlook should change.

I hope this helps and I know how you feel, just remember that you are working towards an amazing goal and give yourself credit, you're doing a great job!
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been there but here's my BEST Advice...Exercise anyway!!! I can't stress it enough, push past the depression put some happy up beat tunes on and dance or run or walk or join a boxing class to get your emotional stress out or ZUMBA!
    Trust me I know you don't feel like it but it will also help you produce happy hormones over time you'll look to your outlet when you get down instead of hiding under the covers.
  • missymarea
    missymarea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I totally understand hun. I always remind myself to keep going and try to put a smile on. But remember its ok to have an "off" day. I have been told for a number of years that I always have to make me time each day...even if it's just 15 mins. My "me time" must be something for myself that I enjoy....if you can't take care of yourself, you won't be help or be able to take care of others. Feel free to "friend" me and we can chat sometime. :happy: This is a great site and everyone here is willing to listen and give you kind loving words to help! Take care
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    you should see a doctor so they can really see what is going on, and maybe even give you medication until your better. don't know how much MFP is gonna help..

:flowerforyou: Seriously... Do This don't wait.:flowerforyou:
  • ToddFo
    ToddFo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with DonnaLFitz. I've dealt with some mild depression over the years, and the best thing I've found is to get moving. As others have said, you may need to seek professional help. You'll have to make that decision.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It sounds silly, but when I was going through my worst stuff I used to go out on long walks and listen to comedy on my headphones. Sometimes I would listen to the dirtiest stuff just to shock me out of thinking about and dwelling on my situation.

It gave me mental brieak from what was bothering me.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    consider that Im a sort of loner and ANTI-depression drugs... but when I get out & do something for ME ( massage, pedicure) and dress myself up and take myself out to lunch/dinner.... I feel kinda of empowered & free and it helps me get into a better mindframe to fight depression

Sleeping it off is a bad idea is that you are giving your body time to slow its metabolism... you want to get the blood flowing to get those anti-depression endorphins going...
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I agree with doing something for someone else. Volunteer to help the homeless or an animal shelter--it helps me feel better than any paying job and gets my mind off my own problems that may be contributing to depression. Also get some professional help, though. There are physical reasons for depression as well as psychological, and sometimes you really need some meds to help climb out of it.
  • theresalizotte
    Options
    This is a hard time your going through right now. I often find journaling helps. Try to find someone who you know will listen to you. Keep in mind at all times how far you have come in your weight loss journey. Remember how special you are. Don't let your depression take over you try to stay in control at all times.:smile:
  • Peaceoutmfp
    Options
    I need some help. Generally I'm a pretty happy/content person but I'm going through a very emotional time right now and am afraid it's going to affect my weight loss progress. I'm almost to 25 lbs lost and still have a long way to go and don't want to hinder that. I'm not an emotional eater, but all I really feel like doing is sleeping or crying...neither of which burn very many calories. Anyone else been there that can give me some pointers?

1) Remember that it's always darkest before the dawn. So, don't give up - 11th hours can signal that things are about to make a 360 degree turn for the better.

2) It depends on what you're going through, but getting active and doing anything you enjoy doing can help. Even doing volunteer work can do wonders - it gets one "outside of one's head" and enables you to help somebody else at the same time. :)

3) Yes, medication can help (but in my experience, meds aren't for everyone). Keep in mind that you are self-diagnosing yourself. In other words, it may not necessarily be depression - your symptoms could be physically related. So, I would talk to your primary care physician first and get a thorough physical exam (before you seek psychological counseling).

4) Lastly, it's important to surround yourself with good people - and start moving and doing anything (and less sitting around thinking)!

Anyways, I hope that helps a little. :)
  • Shunhades
    Shunhades Posts: 16
    Options

I have clinical depression myself, honestly it can be hard somedays. The only thing you can do in terms of your weight loss is if you feel that your getting upset. Go for a walk, or do some light exercises. Take someone with you who will listen. And I mean really listen. In my experience, I have some friends who claim they are listening and then I find they are not listening at all. If you can get your friend to go on the walk with you to talk it's even better because your talking and walking which means, your helping your depression and still doing your exercise.

On the days where all you feel like doing is sleeping or crying, those are the days where you have to try to pull yourself up the most. But honestly if you feel that you can't, it's not going ot hurt you to take a single day. So what you can do, is just mark on your calander "Okay I had my breakdown day for the week. I can't have another til next week." This can help abit, i've come to find, and sometimes even makes the rest of the week easier.

It's good that you don't resort to food when depressed, but I hope you don't resort to starving yourself either. That's an issue that I have. Sometimes on my worst days I don't even want to eat at all. So what I have to do is make myself eat, even if it's a small child sized portion. Please keep this in mind, because i've honestly made myself sick with this (the lack of eatting) and it tends to make things worse. So if your having a lack of eatting issue during depression. Try to make yourself eat atleast 3 child sized portions of food. You may feel like you don't want to do it, but if you kinda push yourself a little you'll be saving yourself alot of sick days.

I hope my advice helps. I don't think I can offer all that much considering everyone with depression has different symptoms. I myself have MDD which is what i'm told is the highest you can have in terms of depression. But all you can do is work through it and try your best to keep on your exercise.

If you need more advice feel free to add and ask. I know what your going through, though I don't know your specific issues for your depression I'll try my best to help.
  • wwagw72
    wwagw72 Posts: 45
    Options
    Don't dwell. If you can solve the problem, solve it. If it is something beyond your control let it be and find other hobbies. Go to a movie, meet with friends. Stay active. Force yourself to walk with people and surround yourself with people. Don't dwell, don't tel them all your sad story because that is really just dwelling. If you are looking for solutions, that is different. Find the solution and fix it if you can. Weightloss is a great way to start!!!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I really don't think I need meds, as it's just mild depression, but I'm not totally against them if it gets that bad. The depression isn't related to how far I have yet to go on my weight loss, either...it's mostly marital problems, to be honest...but we don't really have the money to go to any sort of counseling or pay for happy pills for me, so any natural, inexpensive solutions are much appreciated.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the marital problems... sometimes counseling is obtainable through insurance?
    And I would avoid medication until you've tried the other things.

And a quick PS shout out - shunhades had fantastic advice.