who knew...

Rebeccasluckyduck
Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
edited September 26 in Success Stories
Ok, so this is a really small NSV. I've been part of MFP for about 5 weeks now and I have only lost 5 pounds. I've been under my calories for most days and I exercise 6 days a week. I try to eat most of my exercise calories back, at least 85% of them on most days because I'm in training for a few 1/2 marathons coming up and I need the energy to run those miles. Losing only 5 pounds in 5 weeks doesn't make me happy, but...

I put on my flip flops this morning to drive my son to school. When I looked down to slide them on I noticed that I have bones in my feet!! Who knew? Instead of having Fred Flintstone feet, I could see the outline of the bones. Wooo hooo! I know that doesn't seem like much to some people, but I'm excited about it. Just in time for sandal weather.

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Replies

• anna441
    anna441 Posts: 253 Member
    Congratulations,....
  • That is such a good feeling! Congratulations! ;-) I know how you feel! I put on a summer skirt the other day that used to be very tight and now it is quite lose!!!! It makes you feel so good! Keep up the good work. :-)

Cheering you on!
    Andrea
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 209 Member
    Awesome! Keep up the good work!
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Ok, so I have caught on to most of the abbreviations everybody uses... but what the heck does NSV stand for?? I know it's something to do with either those 'ah ha' moments, small changes being noticed and what not,is it New Small Victory??
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    1 pound a week is actually pretty good.....that's 500 calories less than what you need to maintain a day......
    Going slowly will give your skin time to adjust, and it will keep you from being hungry and binging.

It's funny how weightloss tends to show in the feet, hands, and face first :-)........congratulations on you accomplishments :-)
  • Bacardibarker
    Bacardibarker Posts: 48 Member
    Well done!!!! 5 lbs off is way better than 5lbs on. If your training it will take longer to shift the lbs as muscle weighs a more than fat.
    You should be proud. Good luck with your runs. :o)
  • zundelag
    zundelag Posts: 175 Member
    I'm so happy for you. When I watch my pounds, i never feel like I'm doing enough. But when I take notice of the positive changes (seeing bones that weren't there before, clothes fitting looser) it makes it all worth it. Keep going and don't worry so much about the scale (it's still important) and pay attention to those complements, and ah ha moments. Keep going!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Ok, so I have caught on to most of the abbreviations everybody uses... but what the heck does NSV stand for?? I know it's something to do with either those 'ah ha' moments, small changes being noticed and what not,is it New Small Victory??

its non-scale victory, it took me ages to find out what it was too lol

and i think the OP should treat herself to a pedicure to celebrate and show off those new found bones :-)
  • Thats great you got me lookin at my feet lol! i just noticed something also i went down a size in my shoes!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    lol that's great, and btw i think 5 lbs in 5 weeks is awesome!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I've been part of MFP for about 5 weeks now and I have only lost 5 pounds.... Losing only 5 pounds in 5 weeks doesn't make me happy, but...

You must take the ONLY out of that first sentence... Keep steady on the 1 lb/wk plan... makes the long run easier to maintain.
    If you do the drastic diet thing, really hard to maintain, really easy to get frustrated and give up.

1 pound a week is actually pretty good.....that's 500 calories less than what you need to maintain a day......
    Going slowly will give your skin time to adjust, and it will keep you from being hungry and binging.

It's funny how weightloss tends to show in the feet, hands, and face first :-)........congratulations on you accomplishments :-)

AMEN. I so agree.

It's all about making changes you can maintain... no good for your health to get into that lose/gain cycle. We've got one body, that's a vehicle to get us through the rest of our lives. I want mine to be strong enough to take me where I want to go.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Congrats! That is awesome 5 pounds. Also good luck on your 1/2 marathon. I'm starting now to train for one that is in August. I hope I can do it. (I'm still learning all the abbreviations too!)
  • I TOTALLY GET IT!!!! This morning, I noticed that I can see just the bend in my collar bone. I can't wait until I can see the whole thing. It's little stuff like this that keeps the motivation going.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    I find it frustrating that people are unhappy about slow and steady weight loss. Those results are exactly what your goal should be. 1-2 lbs per week.

Congrats on the good work and the good results. The changes will keep on comming, sometimes the changes won`t be reflected on the scale (like 0 lbs lost over 2-3 weeks) but that is when your body changes the most, so don`t get discouraged and stick with it long term.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Congratulations! That's a neat thing to notice! Yeah for bones in feet! :)
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    I need to check my feet! Every little victory counts. Good for you! Another 5 pounds and you'll notice your rings getting looser too, if you're on the same track I'm on! :happy:
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Well done!!!! 5 lbs off is way better than 5lbs on. If your training it will take longer to shift the lbs as muscle weighs a more than fat.
    You should be proud. Good luck with your runs. :o)

My mom always says that if you lose 5 pounds, that makes you 10 pounds ahead of the game because it's better than gaining 5!

My frustration with the 5 pounds down is because it was in the first couple of weeks and I haven't moved since. With the NSVs that we all notice here and there, it keeps us on track! The motivation from this site is amazing.

Thanks everyone!! :flowerforyou:
  • Non-scale victory. I had to google it!
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    What a GREAT NSV! I haven't even looked at my feet - well, I just did when I read your post. Now, I'm going to try on my shoes. :)
  • APerrier
    APerrier Posts: 2
    You completely made me laugh! I so can relate. I joined on 4-3-11. Cheers to you and weight loss. I wish you the best. I have 70 to drop myself!!

-Fat Girl in Minnesota
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!