Food scales - Get one!

Options
ox45
ox45 Posts: 90 Member
Well I finally broke down and bought a food scale. And all I can say is it taught me how bad of a guesstimator I really am! I would never be a good employee at those carnival guess you weight games! Apparently what I thought was 3oz of meat, was in fact more like 1.5oz. And my cereal bowl was way too empty! The serving size was 52g, and I was maybe putting in like 30g in my bowl!

I always figured guessing would lead to overeating, but I think it may be the exact opposite for me. I have hit sort of a slow down lately, and I have a feeling this might be contributing to it. I have a hard time hitting my calories as it is sometimes, especially if I'm actually not even eating as much as I think. So overall I would say this should be a tool that everyone should use.

TL:DR - Spend the $20 on a scale and be surprised by how far off you may be!

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE! Buy a Scale, DRY (cup to 1/4 teaspoon) measurements and wet measuring cup...
    AND USE THEM!
  • snuggadee
    Options
    Glad you posted on this because I've been thinking about making this purchase. It does seem like a good idea.
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    Isn't it crazy?! I was doing the same thing. Guess it's better to be overestimating than underestimating. That was the best $20 i've spent in a long time :)
  • ndhr3d
    ndhr3d Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I haven't got one yet, but was contemplating it a couple days ago. Boy would it be a nice surprise if I was the same way as you and eating too little!! Although I never really feel hungry, a little more 'cereal in my bowl' would be nice! :-)
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean!! when we bought our food scale I was so surprised at how much I was under eating!! Now I can barely finish a portion size!!
  • Taylor521
    Taylor521 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    yea, definately good to have, i got a 5 dollar one lol
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree....food scales are a great tool. The thing I like best about mine is that I can reset the weight to zero even with someone on it. So...if I am building a salad or a yogurt parfait, each new item can be weighed as it goes into the bowl. Not having to measure everything out and then assemble is a great time-saver!

I typically just use mine for things that I know are hard to judge (cereal, meats, etc..) and eye-ball things that won't kill my calorie count anyway (lettuce, veggies, etc...)
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I use my digital postal scale as a food scale since it's what I had on hand. I love the "tare" feature, which allows you to put the container on the scale and zero it out for weighing.
    It is SO much easier to weigh things like dry pasta or cheese. Because I like cheese, I'm so tempted to pack it into that cup, but weighing it out leaves me no room for doubt as to how much a serving really is. Plus...............I can weigh my packages for UPS at the same time. ;-)